Quantcast

Max air preload on Marz forks?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Probably won't see me in this forum to much :)

I bought an '05 DJIII OEM leftover and just wanted to know the air range suggested for the air assist/preload on Marz forks.

I haven't done anything to them....only been riding with it on my commuter bike. Did press the valve open with my nail to see that there was preasure in the fork. Figured I would play with it this weekend and just didn't want to put to much in as I was experimenting. I figure you can pretty much have 0 to ??psi.

I have not checked the manuals on line at Marz site but thought one of you :monkey: 's might know.

Thanks,

Rhino

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
nicklouse said:
have you bothered to look in the manual or Marz's web site to down load a manual if you dont have one?

it would take you as long as it will take me to type this!

15psi.
:D No I stated above in my messege that I didn't ....I am at work and all I need is the boss coming in while I am reading a PDF of a Zoke manual. That and it didn't come with a manual....it was OEM overstock.

Thanks for the number....I figured it wouldn't be very high.

The real truth here is that the manual doesn't really tell you the whole story..
Directly from Marz. techs.. "the seals will hold up to 300psi, however that will effectively lock out the fork"

I have ALWAYS run my DJ series forks with pressures ranging from 35 to 65 psi simply because I DO NOT like the soft feeling of forks.. At those pressures the ramp up is very very significant and it rides close to feeling rigid.. however. it will still absorb impacts on very large hits, without the massive impact that would happen if you bottomed the fork.
Bottoming a fork out in the early days caused me to crack the head of my Ulna and since then I have pressured up my forks.
I do NOT recommend this for everyone.. you have to expect a large amount of fatigue compared to the plush feeling of a fork set up as the manufacturer recommends.

I also find that in big/highspeed hits a fork set up near rigid tracks better on landings.
but thats just me.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
shootr said:
The real truth here is that the manual doesn't really tell you the whole story..
Directly from Marz. techs.. "the seals will hold up to 300psi, however that will effectively lock out the fork"

I have ALWAYS run my DJ series forks with pressures ranging from 35 to 65 psi simply because I DO NOT like the soft feeling of forks.. At those pressures the ramp up is very very significant and it rides close to feeling rigid.. however. it will still absorb impacts on very large hits, without the massive impact that would happen if you bottomed the fork.
Bottoming a fork out in the early days caused me to crack the head of my Ulna and since then I have pressured up my forks.
I do NOT recommend this for everyone.. you have to expect a large amount of fatigue compared to the plush feeling of a fork set up as the manufacturer recommends.

I also find that in big/highspeed hits a fork set up near rigid tracks better on landings.
but thats just me.
Whoa...that is good to know. :eek:

300psi....err I might start with 15psi. :D

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
RhinofromWA said:
Whoa...that is good to know. :eek:

300psi....err I might start with 15psi. :D
Update:

So I had to buy a shock pump and the guage isn't supe sensitive down low, but I have near 10psi in the 05 DJ3 and it increased the spring rate dramatically.

I am huge/FAT/a really big/ guy and ~10psi is almost to much for me. Just for others to guage their own forks. Over 15psi might essentially lock out the fork.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
im riding like 12 psi in mine, and im only like 125 lbs. its super stiff, and basicly just rounds off harsh edges.

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
RhinofromWA said:
Over 15psi might essentially lock out the fork.

and thats a bad thing?

im like the poster that said that he runs his almost rigid... i aired the hell out of my DJIII so that it essentially was rigiid... but would still take the edge of the big stuff....

i also lowered mine to 3inches though...