Quantcast

Maximum spacer thickness under stem?

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
I'm setting up a XC bike for a novice rider who has some back problems and needs to sit as upright as possible. Just so you know her ability, she isn't afraid to go pretty fast down fireroads but won't ride up a curb. (Yeah, I know...) So there isn't going to be ANY jumping or hard riding on this bike, though she does weigh 165.

Think I can get away with an inch or maybe a little more with a steel Zoke steer tube?

J

JRB

Absolutely - I wouldn't go more than 40mm though. I don't know where I read that, but the premise was to prevent extra stress because there is really no support over a large span. If you can get one solid spacer, that is also supposed to be better. I would go with an inch and add risers and a taller stem, if it were me.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
1000-Oaks said:
I'm setting up a XC bike for a novice rider who has some back problems and needs to sit as upright as possible. Just so you know her ability, she isn't afraid to go pretty fast down fireroads but won't ride up a curb. (Yeah, I know...) So there isn't going to be ANY jumping or hard riding on this bike, though she does weigh 165.

Think I can get away with an inch or maybe a little more with a steel Zoke steer tube?
Dude, a clamp on stem on a steel steerer you can pretty much go to the moon.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Wouldn't go more than 50 or 60mm. Marz may have a rec, but as Changleen said, with a steel steer you should be good.

Rather than rely on steer height though I would go with a high rise stem and move the saddle forward as much as possible. That should help with the reach for her. Possibly a zero set back post is in order?

The Ito

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Get one of those posts that are bent towards the rear wheel (to bring the seat back) and turn it around towards the bars, if it is too far.