Quantcast

Maxle Help.....again.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I've toasted my second (32mm Boxxer) Maxle, QBP is out of stock and none of the other distributors my shop uses has RS parts. I called Sram yesterday but their message said they are closed for Interbike till the 27th. I have a DH race the 3rd of October so waiting till the 27th might be cutting it close. Any Monkeys have a Maxle DH they would be willing to sell?

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Did you break the tapered ends, the axle itself, or the pretensioner? I snapped a pretensioner last weekend, so I cut some 1/4" stainless rod to do the trick (had to make sure to use washers of a size that would still allow for the tapered ends to expand the axle ends). This setup served me well for a day of hammering at Sunday River yesterday.

Also, I never do the initial tightening step with the right-hand-side nut; I remove that, and use the larger allen on the axle itself.

(Edit: Above applies to 2010 Boxxer Race & Maxle Lite DH)

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Did you break the tapered ends, the axle itself, or the pretensioner? I snapped a pretensioner last weekend, so I cut some 1/4" stainless rod to do the trick (had to make sure to use washers of a size that would still allow for the tapered ends to expand the axle ends). This setup served me well for a day of hammering at Sunday River yesterday.

Also, I never do the initial tightening step with the right-hand-side nut; I remove that, and use the larger allen on the axle itself.

(Edit: Above applies to 2010 Boxxer Race & Maxle Lite DH)
The inner wedge piece snapped months ago but now the actual outer piece's threads are semi-stripped. It will grab on the one side of the fork but once you try to torque it just a little it will slip.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
do you just need the parts? i think my shop has a few bags of the parts that sram sent accidently when they were supposed to send the new boxxer maxle parts

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
mattmatt86: I have an extra, it's not with me, but I can probably ship it out tue/wed.. i'd prefer not to sell it, just send it back to me when you get a replacement, shoot me a PM if you're interested..

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
do you just need the parts? i think my shop has a few bags of the parts that sram sent accidently when they were supposed to send the new boxxer maxle parts
Nope, the entire thing is toast.

mattmatt86: I have an extra, it's not with me, but I can probably ship it out tue/wed.. i'd prefer not to sell it, just send it back to me when you get a replacement, shoot me a PM if you're interested..
That would be sweet, I'm confident Sram will send me a new one but not it probably wouldn't get here before the race. I'll shoot you a PM.