Quantcast

Maxle Question

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I somehow managed to strip the Maxle on my '09 Boxxer WC. It's the side where you actually remove it. If I loosen the brake rotor side and then stick a 6mm in the hole, it's completely rounded off.

So...does anyone know how I can get this thing off without some sort of extraction tool? Is there another way to loosen it? Also, if anyone has suggestions of where to pick up a new one I'd be interested.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Sorry, I'm not completly understanding what part end is rounded out since I don't have a 2009 in front of me. Anyway, if you can get the inner wedging bolt out, then you can use an 8mm allen to remove the axle.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
That's the problem - the inner wedging bolt is rounded out. The non-drive side is fine but it's the other side that's giving me the problem.

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
Boxxers are notorious for having that problem. You would think Rock Show would have come out with a better system. Can you use the quick release maxle they have on the totems and everything else on the boxxer? That would be sweet....

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
This just happened to my boxxer so I am a professional at fixing it. Take a flathead screwdriver and pull out the expanding bolt (I know the inner allen fitting is effed but the out one is still fine). Then you can simply use an 8mm to pull the 20mm axle out. Simple as pie.

In response to the QR maxle. RS just came out with them but they have been in limited relsease for a while.

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
Well i want one!

When i bought my boxxer my buddy told me not to over tighten the maxle. It doesn't have to be super tightened, just enough so that it expands and holds in place. You don't have to crank on them hard. Thats how they strip out.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
That's the problem - the inner wedging bolt is rounded out. The non-drive side is fine but it's the other side that's giving me the problem.

Sorry, I am still not sure. Is it the end that loosens the wedge or the other end that drives the outer axle?

I think you are refering to the former. If so, try to tap a slightly larger allen wrench in there. Probably a standard like a 1/4". Then use that to get the inner wedging part out. Then use the 8mm to get the outer axle out.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Like the above poster said, you need to be really carefull about over tightening once you get a replacement. Have you dealer get you the "fix kit" that consist of a new inner wedge part or a new axle.

The 2010 Boxxer Maxle is a big improvement. I haven't had any issues with it.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
Boxxers are notorious for having that problem. You would think Rock Show would have come out with a better system. Can you use the quick release maxle they have on the totems and everything else on the boxxer? That would be sweet....
It's not that the system is flawed but the metal they use is butter soft to save on weight. I may be wrong but I think the new Maxle Lite DH which comes with the 2010 Boxxer's uses a different alloy for the head of the bolt.
Also I bet a lot of people don't use the recommended torque settings.

7. Slide the externally threaded end of the Maxle DH
through the drive side of the hub, until it engages the
threads of the lower leg dropout. Use a 6 mm hex
wrench to turn the drive side axle bolt and tighten the
axle into the dropout. Torque to 5.7 N·m (50 in-lb).

8. Use a 6 mm hex wrench to turn the non-drive side
axle bolt clockwise until you hear or feel 8 clicks or
you reach a torque value of 3.4 N·m (30 in-lb).

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
This just happened to my boxxer so I am a professional at fixing it. Take a flathead screwdriver and pull out the expanding bolt (I know the inner allen fitting is effed but the out one is still fine). Then you can simply use an 8mm to pull the 20mm axle out. Simple as pie.
So are you saying to loosen the brake lever side until the other side is sticking way out and then pry that part out and away from the axle?

Sorry, I am still not sure. Is it the end that loosens the wedge or the other end that drives the outer axle?

I think you are refering to the former. If so, try to tap a slightly larger allen wrench in there. Probably a standard like a 1/4". Then use that to get the inner wedging part out. Then use the 8mm to get the outer axle out.
Ok - this sounds like it would work. I am waiting to get a replacement. For the time being, I have a mud tire stuck on the front. :rolleyes: