Quantcast

Maxxis DD vs DH Casing

birdman2447

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
Anyone here able to tell an on trail difference between double down and DH casing? I know the DD is 120tpi, vs 60tpi for the DH. Weight is like 50-75 grams different. Some of the DH tires are kevlar bead now, so for a rowdy enduro bike, any reason to run DH over DD?

cheers!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, the DH casing is definitely a step burlier. The actual weight difference is bigger than that, even for the kevlar bead DH tires. More like ~120g for a 2.4 DHR2 IIRC.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Unfortunately the old, simple equation for tire weight vs. durability still generally applies.

You may be able to get away with it depending on how big you are, how hard you hit things, pressures, etc. Give it a go but don't be surprised if the DD is not up to the task. You might also try DH rear, DD front, depending again on a variety of factors.

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
Do you want to pedal the bike up a hill? If yes, then run DD. If no, then run DH. If unsure, look at your fork- if it has two crowns- DH, one crown- DD.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It does depend a bit on where you're riding. Around here (PNW) where the dirt is soft and there's not a lot of rock, I can get away with less casing than I can a lot of other places.

I sure wish Maxxis would make a 2,4 DHR2, MaxxTerra, Double Down. That'd be pretty ideal as a trail bike rear tire for me.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
It does depend a bit on where you're riding. Around here (PNW) where the dirt is soft and there's not a lot of rock, I can get away with less casing than I can a lot of other places.

I sure wish Maxxis would make a 2,4 DHR2, MaxxTerra, Double Down. That'd be pretty ideal as a trail bike rear tire for me.
Noo you couldn't possibly want a dd that isn't max grip!

I was in the same conundrum dhf 2.5 dd only in squirmy draggy maxx grip... dammit

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
You also need to factor in running inserts (cushcore). Makes it a little more complex of a decision.

DH tires if you want to error on the side of "just send it". Otherwise dd on the more "i know what i"m doing" side. DD or even Exo with inserts tend to get the job done if you dont go too crazy. Its all subjective. Varied by your terrain.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Wait what. That's not on their website.

Imma have to hunt you down and steal it. Or just have you tell me where you got it.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
For real though, where did you guys get those? They aren't listed as an option on the Maxxis site.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
For real though, where did you guys get those? They aren't listed as an option on the Maxxis site.
zooming in on the UPC the code looks to be TB85962500 which isn't on their site, but the naming nomenclature seems to line up with the other DHR II's in that size (TB85962***), might be a new code?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
found it, was close on the code (TB85962600). odd that they have it in the shopping section of the website but not the main product page

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, looks like they're pretty widely available despite the fact that they still aren't on the product page of the Maxxis site. Weird, but glad to know they're out there!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
found it, was close on the code (TB85962600). odd that they have it in the shopping section of the website but not the main product page

Even they can't keep up with the amount of different tires, tread patterns, casing options, durometer options etc etc.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
Cushcore v dh tire. I can’t get behind the cc idea on a trail bike they seem to ride fine the few times I’ve used them, but for the same weight and ease of just putting in a tube in a dh tire makes more sense to me.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i've said it in other threads and i'll say it here. super impressed w/dd casing. have beaten the piss outta my dhfs in the nc backcountry, occasional lift days, and stupid local shredding, all with my hacktacular steeze, for maybe 1000 miles/2 years and no pinches, no punctures, no burps. nada. nil. zero. for damn sure exo didn't do that. not even close. hellz yeah, i'll take that weight penalty every time.

birdman2447

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
i've said it in other threads and i'll say it here. super impressed w/dd casing. have beaten the piss outta my dhfs in the nc backcountry, occasional lift days, and stupid local shredding, all with my hacktacular steeze, for maybe 1000 miles/2 years and no pinches, no punctures, no burps. nada. nil. zero. for damn sure exo didn't do that. not even close. hellz yeah, i'll take that weight penalty every time.

Running inserts or no inserts? I have been abusing a rear DD aggressor with Cush Core and very impressed other than the weight of the CC :(

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I used a DD Aggressor for shy of 2 years without a complaint, but I did puncture just a few weeks ago. I HAVE some cushcore inserts but haven't installed them... might just go back to the DD rear after I patch the tire.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Just received a 2.4 DHR Exo WT and it feels a tad smaller than a 2.3. Would prefer if actually sat between a 2.3 and 2.5.

Moved to my current location last Autumn and only started to find all of the hidden trails in the local area this Spring. Nice mix of loam with roots and pointy rocks that the Exo casing can’t seem to cope with. I have flatted almost every ride lately (getting faster as I learn the lines) and fortunately the sealant has done its job, although the last ride was a close call (with no prior issues I have not invested in a plugging tool). Will be ordering and switching to DD casing for the rear.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What do you mean "feels" smaller?

I've measured a few recently at 2.35 to 2.39" on 30mm rims, FWIW.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Wrapping my hand around both tires (the proven and scientific method) I can feel the 2.4 WT has a lower volume (both mounted to 30mm rims). I did some dim checks and if I recall the 2.3 is taller. Will check again when I am in the shed.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
old thread bump.
Anyone know of where I can buy maxxis 29” dh casing in a hard rubber? Assuming there has to be an OE version somewhere.

EDIT: whoop! For those interested, maxxis e-commerce store has what appears to be a DH casing DHF in Dual compound.

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I would have liked a DHF DD 29x2.3 maxxGripp or even a 29x2.5 in non-WT flavor as a front tire to fit my 30mm ID front rim... I went for a Schwalbe MM ultra soft super gravity instead.