Quantcast

Maxxis dropped the Swampthing?

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
I think a lot of the racers use cut down wetscreams over them, I know they don't have a place in my tyre line up any more (thats not to say they are a redundant tyre though, I know people do rate and use them.)

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
It doesn't seem that Swampthings see much use here; at least when I was on the east coast, I rarely saw them at races and whatnot. I had a set and liked them quite a bit; great in mud and mixed conditions without getting scary on rocks.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Swampys were my winter tyre too, not steep enough here to overcome the bad roll of a spike, clogging clay that turned minion/high roller to a slick. Tried Muddy Mary and will never go back, same grip in the wet, same grip or better in the dry and hardpack, clears mud the same, rolls a metric ****load faster. I believe faster than a minion.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Swampys were my winter tyre too, not steep enough here to overcome the bad roll of a spike, clogging clay that turned minion/high roller to a slick. Tried Muddy Mary and will never go back, same grip in the wet, same grip or better in the dry and hardpack, clears mud the same, rolls a metric ****load faster. I believe faster than a minion.
I'd agree with the rolling speed comments there, was really surprised when I got mine (still surprised 6 months later actually). Love the grip and feel of them too, probably my favourite tyre evar!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I gotta say that yesterday was my first ever ride on a full spike setup 2.5/2.2 wetscreams on my AM bike. We had a 12 stage enduro race here in western PA that is basically the worst dirt conditions you could imagine. I was blown out of the water by the amount of traction i had in hideous clay with the spikes. The trails were full of steep greasy chutes that were turning almost any tire into a slick...Those spikes were clearing mud like I couldn’t believe and I really didnt need to worry about traction at all...

I could see where a swampthing would rock in wet muddy rocky situations but the regular spikes are that good.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
They are an awesome rear tire for places like the pro track at Mt. Snow. Huge Michelin up front and one of those things in the back and you had a machine built for 25mph grass turns.
I have 6 of them. Woohoo.

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
swampthings are awesome.

my cut hillbillys are even better. i will run this setup 24/7/365, i don't care about the costs.

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
How is the profile on the hillbillies? Are they more squared or round? I find the swampthings to be pretty round. I do agree the swampthings are pretty awesome though.

Schneidie

Chimp
Apr 24, 2010
New England
While the Hillbilly has a rounder profile than a wetscream, it is definitely more square than the swampthing. I'd say the profile is closer to a minion dhf than anything else.