Quantcast

Maxxis Medusa, replacement for Wetscream ...on my TRAIL BIKE?

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
They look quite similar to the wetscreams, a bit less aggressive.It would go on a Nomad, I dont care about the rolling resistance going uphill cause I hate going uphill anyway.Im currently running Minions fr 2.35, love them but Im looking for something different ...with a bit more bit.

Ive never had the chance to see a pair in real life and Im wondering how big the knobs really are, Im hoping it would be equal to the minions...maybe?

Im in Vancouver so we get pretty much everything up here...roots, rocks, moss, mud...

Left Medusa,right Wetscream

Attachments

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I forgot to mention its for winter...meaning WET, WET and very WET...

Hard pack in the Pacific Northwest?Its all about roots up here.

The 60a comp might be the deal killer. Slippery roots and rocks are all about rubber, not tread design.
For soft loamy trails, I'm sure those shread though.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Go with a high roller or comp 16 2.2 instead of a pure mud tire.
I think the 2.5 Comp 16 would be even better in the mud. The casing isn't much bigger, but the knobs are quite a bit longer. A 2.5/2.2 combo would also work.

The medusa may be okay, but it only comes in 1.8 or 2.1 and I'm guessing both are going to be very small in width and volume. I wouldn't use it if descending is your primary concern.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
I think the 2.5 Comp 16 would be even better in the mud. The casing isn't much bigger, but the knobs are quite a bit longer. A 2.5/2.2 combo would also work.

The medusa may be okay, but it only comes in 1.8 or 2.1 and I'm guessing both are going to be very small in width and volume. I wouldn't use it if descending is your primary concern.

Well actually I also have a proper DH bike.The Nomad is just for fun,more for riding on XC tracks but the downhill part of it is what really matters to me...I think 2.1 would still be OK for this bike especially in the wet but Im concern with the compound...I can probably get by with the "hard" rubber on the rear but Im really skeptical of its ability to hold a line on the front...What kind of trails XC dudes are riding?!?

Aren't they trying to go as fast as they can downhill as well,isnt it their ultimate goal, to win races?Why would they settle for cheap compound if they're going to loose ?It makes me wonder how bad in the wet that thread/comp combo is.Perhaps the knobs are doing an amazing job?

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Well actually I also have a proper DH bike.The Nomad is just for fun,more for riding on XC tracks but the downhill part of it is what really matters to me...I think 2.1 would still be OK for this bike especially in the wet but Im concern with the compound...I can probably get by with the "hard" rubber on the rear but Im really skeptical of its ability to hold a line on the front...What kind of trails XC dudes are riding?!?

Aren't they trying to go as fast as they can downhill as well,isnt it their ultimate goal, to win races?Why would they settle for cheap compound if they're going to loose ?It makes me wonder how bad in the wet that thread/comp combo is.Perhaps the knobs are doing an amazing job?
Thread resurrection.

The big wet has just arrived here in NZ and I've been thinking about 2.1 Medusa tires on my Meta 4X for all round trail shenanagins. The trails I ride are coastal, meaning a sandy base which is fast in the wet but still a bit soft. I've been riding 2.35 high rollers 60a over the summer but am looking, like tuumbaq for more 'bite'.

Any recommendations for these spikey little suckers before I take the plunge?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
get them, they make a night and day difference for little bikes. ride like what they are, a baby spike. rolling resistance is still quite good, never ran silly uber fast rolling tires for xc anyways.

and yes, they do work in dry conditions, sure they will wear down faster but they still work. still work like a baby spike, knobs not long enough to fold over in the dry and really dig in.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
get them, they make a night and day difference for little bikes. ride like what they are, a baby spike. rolling resistance is still quite good, never ran silly uber fast rolling tires for xc anyways.

and yes, they do work in dry conditions, sure they will wear down faster but they still work. still work like a baby spike, knobs not long enough to fold over in the dry and really dig in.
Cool, thanks DH Kid. I'll hit it.

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Have run the Medusa run swampthings and cut down wetsreams!

The issue with the Medusa is its a very light tire, I punctured all the time with it, if ya go that way run a DH tube in there and you'll be sweet, Ive done this and it works well! Gives a bit more sidewall stability as well which is needed on a 6" rig, its a small tire.

It rolls well though so don't let it put ya off, and for the tread that's on there they grip great.

If unsure though I'd get a 2.35 swampthing , they do well even on fireroads not too much slower than a Minion on the rear but way tougher than the Medusa!

Like DM said the big wet has hit here, Ive been running Swampthings for a bit here and used my cut down Wetsreams as well great on the tracks but not as good as the SW on the bits in between.

Choices choices choices. lol

Nomad I'd be tempted on a SW 2.35 and still run a std tube, but def try it, its fast light and grippy for its size the wee Medusa:thumb:
Also maybe Schwalbe Muddy Mary would be a good choice, slight blashemy from a Maxxis man lol!

Swampthing up front and Medusa on the rare with a DH tube.

Last edited:

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I've never run the Medusa but the 2.35 single ply Swamp Things work really well in muddy, loamy, to semi loose soil and pretty much everything in between. Maxxis also makes the Wetscream in a 2.2 its a bit heavier I'm sure as it is a dual ply but the tread is not only narrower but the spikes are smaller as well. I've run it on the DH bike in the rear a few times but never in the front. I think Pork Pie has a good point with the Schwalbe tires fitting your need also have a look at Continental Rain King.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
I've never run the Medusa but the 2.35 single ply Swamp Things work really well in muddy, loamy, to semi loose soil and pretty much everything in between. Maxxis also makes the Wetscream in a 2.2 its a bit heavier I'm sure as it is a dual ply but the tread is not only narrower but the spikes are smaller as well. I've run it on the DH bike in the rear a few times but never in the front. I think Pork Pie has a good point with the Schwalbe tires fitting your need also have a look at Continental Rain King.
I've already put down for the kevlar bead medusa 2.1 in a 60a compound. Cost here was $42 per tyre. I was in a bike shop at lunch time....schwalbe tyres were looking good but were $110 each!!! My local trails are pretty tame for rocks (there are none!) and roots are pretty much not an issue. I've got some 2.2 wetscreams and 2.5 but the medusa's are for my meta 4x as I'm keen to keep it light. I'll post again on the subject once I've given them a ride or two.

Nice Turner GPP and nice handle/avatar. GPP is one of my favourite movies....bwaaaaahaaaahaaaaa!!!!!.

Cheers RM

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
I've already put down for the kevlar bead medusa 2.1 in a 60a compound. Cost here was $42 per tyre. I was in a bike shop at lunch time....schwalbe tyres were looking good but were $110 each!!! My local trails are pretty tame for rocks (there are none!) and roots are pretty much not an issue. I've got some 2.2 wetscreams and 2.5 but the medusa's are for my meta 4x as I'm keen to keep it light. I'll post again on the subject once I've given them a ride or two.

Nice Turner GPP and nice handle/avatar. GPP is one of my favourite movies....bwaaaaahaaaahaaaaa!!!!!.

Cheers RM
Chur bro :rofl:

Yeah those MMs are hawt tires but I hear ya at the price hard to justify the difference in cost, the medusa should be sweet on the M4x, I dig the tire its a sweet wee beasty tubes should be good if not rocky.

Look fwd to ya picc's funny on the wetsreams that exactly my combo, 2.2 rear 2.5 front lol, but I have modified them and cut em down, work great, been quite impressed to date.

Might need em for a Riverhead smuggle this weekend been bucketing down huh!
Where u ride in AK?
Here's my recnt WS setup, picc from Oven Mitt. ;)

Great movie maybe best kiwi of all time, sleeping dogs another goodie, geez going back awhile and came a hot friday Billy T lol
chur