Quantcast

Maxxis Minion 2.5 single ply

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
A 60 durometer Maxxis Minion as example has a higher thread count gives more sidewall support and a stronger sidewall which allows me to run less air. It works. My front end never washes out, and while my friends cuss, lose traction, and have to put their foot down, I get incredible climbing stick on my back tire. Look, if you don't want to try it, don't. I really don't care.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
-- Mark Twain

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I got the Minion 2.5 single plys today from Chain Reaction. I ordered them Monday!! They weighed in at a hair under 900g. The bike lost about 1.5 lbs.

This is my AM set up.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I want to buy another set of the 2.5 single ply, but CRC doesnt carry them anymore. I can only find the rear. Anyone else know where to get them now?

Speedwa

Chimp
Jul 24, 2008
PNW
Yeah... maybe there is a regional difference. Here in WA, I have had nothing that would amount to a "problem" with single ply on my trail bike. Once last summer I cut a sidewall on the first ride - trying out an Ardent. But other than that...

On my Transition TransAM I am running a 60 2.35 High Roller on the back and a 42 2.35 Minion DHF on the front. Both are single ply, and they are dialed... I love that combo for general trail riding in these conditions. Maybe the super rocky terrain cuts the sidewalls easier... I don't know. I have always worn out the rubber before the sidewalls... dual ply or single ply, freak accident cuts excluded.
What's your DH setup Sam? I hope you are feeling better and healing up quick.

2XWheeler

Chimp
Aug 16, 2009
:banghead::banana:

Why do you continue to tie high thread count sidewalls and high durometer rubber together?
Because he does not know the difference. Look; hook up a 42a on the front and it will rail. You will go faster, huck further, get so excited you wet your pants. Later you forget what a great tire this is cause you feel sad losing another 50 spot to replace the short lived tire. Then w/ a 60 you have a long worthless life, which if like me you will cut short and go back to the 42a.

I'd rather live big & fast on a 42a instead of getting the "almost" ride on a tire that won't wear out and go away. The more fun ride is the 42a.

To the side wall issue,
1-ply Maxxis is thin for xc. (but way better than the Kenda Nevagel)
I have gotten a lot of extra side wall strength in 1-ply tires by slicing a tube and wrapping it around the actual tube from the rim side. The tire casing does not need the extra rubber of a thornless type tube and you end up with the protection against pinches at the rim. Sort of a jimmy rigged fix for 1-ply side walls.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Here are some of my thoughts.

I would like to try a tire that has a hard case, with soft tread. I am no tire engineer, but in my mind that seems like it would make for a good all arounder for the guy that cant afford to replace tires every weekend.

I used to run maxxis exclusivly for a long time, SR in the front, ST erar, unless I could find a 50 for the rear. Simple reason for the back was....I couldnt afford 50 plus a tire every three or four rides. Last year I went through a cornicopia of different brands.....No money, and I wanted to keep riding. This is what I know is fact

Softer sticks better, harder slides no matter what air pressure.....get over it.

I found that there is such a thing as too sticky in the rear, its nice in the world of DH to be able to slide when needed to crank a tight turn, get back into your line ETC.

60TPI is a pretty wide standard for DH tires, all maxxis DH tires are 60tpi. Like DaveP said, TPI is all about suppleness, and has nothing to do with stiffness or durability

Maxxis tires wear out fast, specially there sidewalls, both SP and DP. Specially in rocky, dry conditions. Sorry Maxxis lovers, I killed WAY too many maxxis tires long before the tread wore out from rock slices. The SP elft me stranded with a three in slice and they came off my bike pretty quickly after that, the dual ply I was never left stranded, but by the time the rides were over, I had a hell of a bubble on teh side of the tire that in no way was trust worthy to keep riding.

At this point, I am hooked on specialized tires, specifically the Chunder SX, and the CLutch SX for DH here in Socal, they are a dual compound, last a long time, sidewalls hold up well, and they are very predictable, Kyle Straight got me hooked on these last year when he saw me running an old 4ply intense. He threw me a couple, told me to enjoy...havent looked back.

I would love to be on Maxxis all year long, but I just cant afford to replace them every couple rides.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
maxxis is now offering the 26x2.50 Minion DHF 60a EXO 845g tire on their website. link

"The new offering from Maxxis also has Exo-Protection sidewall reinforcement, which not only makes the casing less susceptible to sidewall cuts and abrasion, but also adds stability to the tire when riding aggressively."

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
EXO single plys are better than a folding XC tire or a folding Kenda freeride (aka a thin-a$$ balloon) tire as far as sidewall protection goes. You cannot run low pressures: I suggest in the ballpark of 30 psi at least, and possibly just running it in front paired with a DH casing in the rear... depending on your riding style/speed and your trails.

The 3C FR compound is harder than the 3C DH compound, so the grip isn't quite as good.

It is not a replacement for a true DH tire, in stiffness or in FRO sticky grip. Possibly in a super-loamy, soft zone like Santa Cruz or Bellingham you could get away with riding it as hard as a dual ply tire.

It is a nice AM/light freeride tire for the DH riders who are used to the awesome grip of the Minion DHF.

How are the newer EXO sidewalls holding up?

Anyone on the 2.5 DHF 3Cs yet?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I got the Minion 2.5 single plys today from Chain Reaction. I ordered them Monday!! They weighed in at a hair under 900g. The bike lost about 1.5 lbs.

This is my AM set up.
We put some on my buddies DH bike, it does say XC on the wrapper. It DID NOT work well for DH, sidewall is WAY too weak. Those tires were on his bike for one day at N*, they have now been removed and UST Minions installed. For trail riding fine, for any rocky DH they are a HUGE POS.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
We put some on my buddies DH bike, it does say XC on the wrapper. It DID NOT work well for DH, sidewall is WAY too weak. Those tires were on his bike for one day at N*, they have now been removed and UST Minions installed. For trail riding fine, for any rocky DH they are a HUGE POS.
I saw a ton of people running them at Kicking Horse and Fernie this weekend. Im running the 2ply for resorts, but it looks like they are working for some people for resort riding. I dont think Id say the are a HUGE POS.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
did a fun xc race yesterday, I'm running them on my cove hustler, super tech, lots of roots and rocks, they were awesome....then turning into my driveway, turning pretty hard, I peeled the tire off the rear rim and went down in a huge heap....ouch.....

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I saw a ton of people running them at Kicking Horse and Fernie this weekend. Im running the 2ply for resorts, but it looks like they are working for some people for resort riding. I dont think Id say the are a HUGE POS.
I talked to another one of my friends who was also there that day at N* running the same tires. He had 3 flats, my buddy also had 3, 6 flats in a 4 hour time span? I'll stick with not sutable for agressive DH. Then again I guess that's why it says XC on the tag, maybe Maxxis is on to something:rolleyes:;):D.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I talked to another one of my friends who was also there that day at N* running the same tires. He had 3 flats, my buddy also had 3, 6 flats in a 4 hour time span? I'll stick with not sutable for agressive DH. Then again I guess that's why it says XC on the tag, maybe Maxxis is on to something:rolleyes:;):D.
I would never run them at a resort. I was just stating a fact that people are running them. One guy I talked to was running 40psi rear and 35psi front.

Last edited:

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
I have been running the 2.35 single ply DHF on my 6 inch AM bike. I thought these tires would be okay for AM riding.

They suck. Pinch flatted with welter weight tubes, pinch flat with free ride tubes, pinch flat with DH tubes. Some of the flats have been doubles as well (front and rear at the same time). Side walls are too weak for any kind of agressive riding near rocks.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I have been running the 2.35 single ply DHF on my 6 inch AM bike. I thought these tires would be okay for AM riding.

They suck. Pinch flatted with welter weight tubes, pinch flat with free ride tubes, pinch flat with DH tubes. Some of the flats have been doubles as well (front and rear at the same time). Side walls are too weak for any kind of agressive riding near rocks.
What psi are you running?