Quantcast

Maxxis Minion: 3C VS ST

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I've run both ST, and 3C minion DHF's ove the years, and really can't tell a difference in performance. I know the 3C seems to wear better then the ST, but what about weight???? The posted weights show the ST much lighter. Is this a typo or reality. I did consider the 3c a better buy if all other things are equale due to the longer life of the tire but if its that much heavier I think the ST makes a better race tire.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
SRY (Slow Reezay): Better grip than a ST (Super Tacky), slightly more rolling resistance. Preferred by racers on almost anything. When SRY treads wear down - they wear down like a pencil eraser - the edges of the knobs become dulled and rounded off.

ST (Super Tacky): Excellent grip - but juuuust a bit less than a SRY. Slightly less rolling resistance than a SRY. Some racers prefer to use this compound on rocks while others perfer to use it in loam or dust. When ST treads wear down - they tear, chunk-off, and rip. This compound will retain sharp edges on knobs much longer than a SRY compound BUT that's only if the knobs are there in the first place. :D

3C: 40a SRY on the edge knobs (cornering knobs), 42a (ST) on the center knobs, with a 70a base underneath the entire tread surface. What's weird about this new "Triple" compound (really a "Dual" compound because only 2 different compounds are actually making contact with the ground) is that to me - it "feels" gummier than either a SRY or a ST. Tires that use this compound weigh on avg. about 100g more per tire (2.5") vs. a pure ST or SRY tire. The wear on 3C tires is by far superior to either SRY or ST. One would think that the ST center knobs would tear or that the SRY edge knobs would wear down - but the tire seems to wear in a uniform fashion AND maintain its grip over a longer period of time. This is due in part to the 70a base layer that provides support to the overlying SRY and ST compounds. The 70a layer actually protrudes a bit up inside each of the knobs on the tread providing a very secure and firm foundation.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
I prefer the Super Tacky for a few reasons.

I ran 3c for 2 full seasons and too me, the ST last a fair bit longer.

The side knobs on a 3C compound seems to "dry out" a lot faster than on a ST...Just like the Slow Reezay would .

Performance wise, I'd like to think , actually my mind wants me to think the 3C's offering a slight advantage on the wet stuff but its so subtle.Personally , if Im not racing, I dont mind a tire that offers a bit less grip.It makes me a better rider for the upcoming summer which is usually very dry where I live anyway.

There's one think that Im 100% sure though, the 3C are considerably heavier than a ST, not that I can feel it once mounted on the bike, but if you hold a ST in one hand and a 3C in the other, the weight difference is noticeable

Plus the 3c are more expensive and you cant get them on CR ;-)

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
It makes me a better rider for the upcoming summer which is usually very dry where I live anyway.
Are you kidding? Sure last summer was warm and dry but it was an anomaly. Usually we get like maybe 6-8 weeks of 'dry' weather, with a long wet spring and an early wet fall.

Some good and interesting points on the 3c though.:thumb:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Super tacky or 3C for recreational use? I've heard of some people running 42a front and 3C rear...I was happy with my 3Cs previously but I'm wondering if I'm missing out.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
42a f/ 3C r if you only have 1 of each. Its fairly easy to destroy a 42a on the rear if you're goofing around a lot.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I personally can't really tell the difference in wear and tear or grip. I guess by that logic, then the ST are the way to go since they are lighter? Never really noticed that either though.

...maybe I'm just dead inside.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Me too! I ordered the 3C. Too good of a deal to pass up, but we'll see if they're the right thing. Had the option of 3C or ST for roughly the same price...we'll see what happens. I loved my 2.5 3Cs, now let's go 2.7 for more meat.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
supertacky all the way.
it makes no sense to spend $5000 on a bike for "performance", and then skimp $30 or $40 or each tire set, because of longevity, when tires are the single most important factor in performance.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
How about if you don't have a $5000 and are on a tight budget, and don't need to squeeze out that last 0.00021s from each run? I had good luck with the 3cs previously, and I found a deal on them...the STs changed from 42a to 60a when I put them in my cart, so I stuck with the 3c. Hell, my old minion 3c that I had on the front is still in fair shape after 2 seasons....but I wasn't sure if there was a big difference, or if it was worth spending the extra 3 bucks on the 3c.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Damn dude. I'm lucky if I only go through 3 sets a year.
holy crap! how many days of riding do you get in? maybe i'm not doing enough skidz. I mean, my rear is toast but my front has enough life left in it to be considered for use as a rear tire. It's not in good shape but it's usable.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
A 3C will last maybe 2-3 weekends at a resort tops. If it doesn't, then you're not riding properly.

Anyone know what the compounds on the Specialized DH tires are and how they compare to the 3c's?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Oh shlt I'm doing it wrong!!! :rofl:
Ha ha, okay, well it will WORK, but it'll probably grip like sh*t compared to new :P. Maybe I should've said 4 or 5. Alls I know is 4-5 weekends at northstar = about 11 days of riding at 10-15 runs/day thats 120-160 runs and almost 200k feet of vert. No way a 3c will be rideable after that.

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
Anyone know what the compounds on the Specialized DH tires are and how they compare to the 3c's?
Our Butcher, Hillbilly and Storm tires are dual compound: 70a base, 42a outer/top.

When it's dry (so like 90% of the time) Northstar causes tire wear well above average. I've destroyed tires in as little as 1-2 days there, compared to weeks of riding other terrain with the same tires.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ha ha, okay, well it will WORK, but it'll probably grip like sh*t compared to new :P. Maybe I should've said 4 or 5. Alls I know is 4-5 weekends at northstar = about 11 days of riding at 10-15 runs/day thats 120-160 runs and almost 200k feet of vert. No way a 3c will be rideable after that.
Oh I just though it was funny to claim that without saying front or rear, whistler or mammoth, diablo or sol vista..........

I only run soft tires on the front in dry climates so I get pretty good life out of them......better than a handful of weekends for sure.

And my tires after a week at whislter barely look like I used them compared to what they look like at CA locales....

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Oh I just though it was funny to claim that without saying front or rear, whistler or mammoth, diablo or sol vista..........
Well I thought everyone would just know that I was talking about the only resorts I ride and thus know exactly what conditions I'm talking about! :P

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
holy crap! how many days of riding do you get in? maybe i'm not doing enough skidz. I mean, my rear is toast but my front has enough life left in it to be considered for use as a rear tire. It's not in good shape but it's usable.
Strange. I'm light and not agressive. Last season I had exactly 5 weeks of riding (adding up all riding days) and I went through 2 rear tires and 1 front. All of it was resort riding though.

I'm also suprised 60a's don't get any love in here. For dry days I prefer them in the back over anything for rolling resistance. They roll awesome.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Our Butcher, Hillbilly and Storm tires are dual compound: 70a base, 42a outer/top.

When it's dry (so like 90% of the time) Northstar causes tire wear well above average. I've destroyed tires in as little as 1-2 days there, compared to weeks of riding other terrain with the same tires.
Okay, so just like the 3c. I wish speci made a 60d type replacement. That'd work better for the rear.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
when i was able to ride DH every weekend, i'd get maybe a month out of a set of ST minions

Aug 4, 2008
When I rode every day I went through 2-3 sets of "training" (50a) tires and 3-4 sets of "racing" (40a front 42a rear) tires.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
When we say "every day" what are we really talking here? I typically get out on the DH bike every other weekend, and ride usually 2 days, maybe 1 day a weekend. I've never really counted the actual lift days I get in a year. I typically ride all day, and I'm out here on the east coast, so it's a well mixed terrain, and I'm a bit of a princess, so it's typically dry or loamy when I ride, not overly hardpacked nor wet and sloppy. I'm definitely no pro...hmmm...

My specialized butchers wore very well while I used them, I felt....though I don't think they had quite the same "tack" as 3cs...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I like to run the same tire front and rear so I can migrate my front tire to the rear once the rear is beyond its useful life. because of that I don't run different compounds front and rear. 3C works well for that (as does the DHF), whereas a ST would just wear out far too quick as a rear tire. I find this works out to be a good mix of economy and performance.

I slapped on a Spec Butcher in the front at the end of the last season. I can't comment on wear caus' it's only got two days on it, but I liked it.

I don't race.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
mine last about 100k of vertical downhill.

my "big mountain" trails are from 8000-12000ft vertical downhill per run.... i dont think i ever get more than 8 days of big mountain riding from my rear tire. i use 42st. i dont get more than 6 rides from high roller st rear.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Oh, we're talking about very worn tires here. In that case, it may make sense.
Yea sorry, should've clarified. When a fresh tire goes on my bike, its on the front. once the side knobs start to tear it migrates to the back (or gets thrown in the "future rear tire" pile). I tend to keep tires on the back wheel longer than on the front.

Aug 4, 2008
When we say "every day" what are we really talking here? I typically get out on the DH bike every other weekend, and ride usually 2 days, maybe 1 day a weekend. I've never really counted the actual lift days I get in a year. I typically ride all day, and I'm out here on the east coast, so it's a well mixed terrain, and I'm a bit of a princess, so it's typically dry or loamy when I ride, not overly hardpacked nor wet and sloppy. I'm definitely no pro...hmmm...
Well, when I say every day I mean every day. There were a couple of seasons when I rode 4-5 days a week during whole season. Of that there were at least 3 lift days a week.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I use Minion DHF 2.7s on both ends. MaxxPro 60a on my practice wheels and Slow Reezay or ST on race wheels. When the rear practice tire is badly worn it gets tossed. When the front tires are a little worn they become rear tires. When the rear race tire is 1/2 worn it becomes a rear practice tire. Fresh tires only get put on the front wheels. This rotation allows me to ride a lot, only buy 3 or 4 tires a year, have fresh tires for racing, and reasonably grippy tires for "everyday riding".

*Race wheels/tires only get used for 3 runs on Sundays.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
In my experience, 3C offers slightly more grip than the ST, but wears faster.

My new fav combo is ST/42a front, 60a rear. The harder rear tire wears longer, rolls faster and skids better!

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground
"Friends don't let friends ride MaxxPro"...

I think there's a big difference in what people count as a worn out tire. I know people who ride their minions until they're more like semi slicks and others who more or less discard them when the edges of the knobs are torn and rounded.

This year I got roughly 6-8 days of uplift assisted DH on mixed types of tracks on each ST tire, a bit more on Conti black chili rubber.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Minion 3c's here pretty much around the clock...Do this every year.

-Buy new tires in August before I go to whistler, ride whis, and finish out the north east season on fresh treads.
-Run the last season set pretty much may-aug
-Buy a new set before whistler again

works pretty good.

Crazy some of you are talking about killing 3c's that fast, mine last pretty damn long time...