Quantcast

maxxis minion slow reezay or super tacky?

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
can get a pretty good price on either wondering what I should get, whats the differences?

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Get the 3C man. Super tacky are good but they dont last very long. Ive never had the slow reezay though.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
WELL...

If you do a search...

:)

You'll find a TON of useful info on the SRY vs. ST pros/cons... BUT - here's the short version:

SRY (Slow Reezay): Better grip than a ST (Super Tacky), slightly more rolling resistance. Preferred by racers on almost anything. When SRY treads wear down - they wear down like a pencil eraser - the edges of the knobs become dulled and rounded off.

ST (Super Tacky): Excellent grip - but juuuust a bit less than a SRY. Slightly less rolling resistance than a SRY. Some racers prefer to use this compound on rocks while others perfer to use it in loam or dust. When ST treads wear down - they tear, chunk-off, and rip. This compound will retain sharp edges on knobs much longer than a SRY compound BUT that's only if the knobs are there in the first place. :biggrin:

3C: 40a SRY on the edge knobs (cornering knobs), 42a (ST) on the center knobs, with a 70a base underneath the entire tread surface. What's weird about this new "Triple" compound (really a "Dual" compound because only 2 different compounds are actually making contact with the ground) is that to me - it "feels" gummier than either a SRY or a ST. Tires that use this compound weigh on avg. about 100g more per tire (2.5") vs. a pure ST or SRY tire. The wear on 3C tires is by far superior to either SRY or ST. One would think that the ST center knobs would tear or that the SRY edge knobs would wear down - but the tire seems to wear in a uniform fashion AND maintain its grip over a longer period of time. This is due in part to the 70a base layer that provides support to the overlying SRY and ST compounds. The 70a layer actually protrudes a bit up inside each of the knobs on the tread providing a very secure and firm foundation.

If you don't mind the extra rotational mass - I'd go with these.

Last edited:

dap

Chimp
Jul 25, 2006
Central, NY
WELL...

I you do a search...

:)

You'll find a TON of useful info on the SRY vs. ST pros/cons... BUT - here's the short version:

SRY (Slow Reezay): Better grip than a ST (Super Tacky), slightly more rolling resistance. Preferred by racers on almost anything. When SRY treads wear down - they wear down like a pencil eraser - the edges of the knobs become dulled and rounded off.

ST (Super Tacky): Excellent grip - but juuuust a bit less than a SRY. Slightly less rolling resistance than a SRY. Some racers prefer to use this compound on rocks while others perfer to use it in loam or dust. When ST treads wear down - they tear, chunk-off, and rip. This compound will retain sharp edges on knobs much longer than a SRY compound BUT that's only if the knobs are there in the first place. :biggrin:

3C: 40a SRY on the edge knobs (cornering knobs), 42a (ST) on the center knobs, with a 70a base underneath the entire tread surface. What's weird about this new "Triple" compound (really a "Dual" compound because only 2 different compounds are actually making contact with the ground) is that to me - it "feels" gummier than either a SRY or a ST. Tires that use this compound weigh on avg. about 100g more per tire (2.5") vs. a pure ST or SRY tire. The wear on 3C tires is by far superior to either SRY or ST. One would think that the ST center knobs would tear or that the SRY edge knobs would wear down - but the tire seems to wear in a uniform fashion AND maintain its grip over a longer period of time. This is due in part to the 70a base layer that provides support to the overlying SRY and ST compounds. The 70a layer actually protrudes a bit up inside each of the knobs on the tread providing a very secure and firm foundation.

If you don't mind the extra rotational mass - I'd go with these.
Excellent write up! Answered a few questions I had too!

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Over here in the UK i haven't seen Slow Reezay in quite a long time.. I head they had stopped been made, but obviously they are still been made, just not for us.. Anyone know any info on that?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Compared to the Minion the Nevegals are terrible. I tried them at Whister back to back with Minions and Highrollers and I will never run Nevegals again. The Minioin just works great in almost all conditions. I use to be a tire guy. I have tried almost every tire out there. I have always returned to Minions. The SRY and 3C are awesome. The ST is good too but just wont last as long and the knobs tear off after only a few weeks of riding. I can usually get a season out of my 3Cs. A good combo is 3C rear and an SRY or ST front for max traction. I usually just run the 3C front and rear, though.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
For a front tire SRY all the way if you can get them. I've test back to back brand new tires of ST, SRY, and 3C. Again and again the SRY had the best traction. For the rear I like the 3C because they have less rolling resitance and last a slight bit longer than 3C. As for ST they work best in mud or cold temps. They flex over muddy rocks and roots better than SRY or 3C and they stay soft in cold temps (below 40F) when SRY and 3C get stiff. However I feel the ST wear the fastest of the 3 tires.

As for finding some SRYs we do have a semi-secret stash that we bought off a sponsored pro team from last year.

Maxxis DHF SRY

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
Compared to the Minion the Nevegals are terrible. I tried them at Whister back to back with Minions and Highrollers and I will never run Nevegals again. The Minioin just works great in almost all conditions. I use to be a tire guy. I have tried almost every tire out there. I have always returned to Minions. .

i've run alot of rubbers as well, and i'll never run another minion. to each his own.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
i've run alot of rubbers as well, and i'll never run another minion. to each his own.
You can't argue with how good the Minin DHF and Highroller are when so many top WC dhers are running them blacked out. However tires do depend greatly on terrain, and maybe NC is harder packed and tackier than the Western 1/2 of the US. Although I am not a fan of the Nevegal (having ridden them many many times) I do really like the Telonix and I'm looking forward to testing the Moco.

The Telonix 2.6 is crazy good if you are on a course that is steep enough or loose enough to justify their extra rolling resistance. The Telonix 2.4 works very well in just about all conditions, but the smaller side knobs do wear faster than I like.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Terrain does make a huge difference. The Minion is NOT the greatest hardpack tire, but its still ok. You have to also play with tire pressures. To get good traction with the Nevegal you have to run low pressure. The Minion just hooks up at just about any pressure. Ive run them 20 psi to 40 psi and the traction doenst change that much. If I ran the Nevegal at anything above 25-26 psi I was sliding out on corners. Then the downfall was flats and bent rims.

It all depends on terrain and tire pressure. I like that I can run higher pressures with the Minion and still have great traction.

I think its funny how the pros run Minions and Highrollers blacked out even when they are sponsored by Kenda. Crazy.