Quantcast

Maxxis Minion Super Tacky DH tires - Info needed???

proworkz

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Reno, Nevada
I was looking into getting a set of Maxxis Mininion Super Tacky DH tires for North Star. But I read a lot of stuff on the net that the rear Mininions wear out very fast. Anyone have experience with the the rear Maxxis Miinions? I need a tire that hooks up good in the loose stuff at North Star but give me a good bang for my buck....!!!:thumb:

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Why would you get super tacky tires for Northstar? And yea, DHRs suck compared to DHFs.
the dhr super tacky's wear out pretty quickly compared to the reg ones. i would only use them for race days if you don't want to replace them 3 or 4 times a season.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Minion dhf 3-C (compound) for Northstar. 60a center 42a corners 40a side knobs. They last forever compared to the slow riz-a or the ST's. Run Dhf 2.5 frnt. and rear / or Dhf 2.7 frnt. and Dhf 2.5 rear. just google maxxis minion dhf 3-C, I found em cheap on wiggle.

Last edited:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Typically most racers prefer the DHF vs. the DHR. What I mean by these abbreviations are the following: Down Hill Front, and Down Hill Rear. These abbreviations (DHF) and (DHR) are the two different variants of the Minion tire that Maxxis produces ex: Minion DHF. These two different models have completely different tread patterns and therefore completely different handling characteristics.

Given that we are only talking about the Minion here, the rear tread pattern (DHR) is often deemed inferior compared to the handling characteristics of the front tread pattern (DHF). Most racers run the DHF both front AND rear. The Minion DHF corners incredibly well and with enough experience can be forced into a drift in a predictable manner. Grip is excellent and can be used in wet conditions - up to a point.

With regards to tread compounds, here is a breakdown of the racing compounds Maxxis offers:

SRY (Slow Reezay): Better grip than a ST (Super Tacky), slightly more rolling resistance. Preferred by racers on almost anything. When SRY treads wear down - they wear down like a pencil eraser - the edges of the knobs become dulled and rounded off. This compound has been discontinued in favor of the 3C compound.*
(*there ARE ways to get pure 40a SRY tires... but that's another story.)

ST (Super Tacky): Excellent grip - but juuuust a bit less than a SRY. Slightly less rolling resistance than a SRY. Some racers prefer to use this compound on rocks while others perfer to use it in loam or dust. When ST treads wear down - they tear, chunk-off, and rip. This compound will retain sharp edges on knobs much longer than a SRY compound BUT that's only if the knobs are there in the first place. :D

3C: 40a SRY on the edge knobs (cornering knobs), 42a (ST) on the center knobs, with a 70a base underneath the entire tread surface. What's weird about this new "Triple" compound (really a "Dual" compound because only 2 different compounds are actually making contact with the ground) is that to me - it "feels" gummier than either a SRY or a ST. Tires that use this compound weigh on avg. about 100g more per tire (2.5") vs. a pure ST or SRY tire. The wear on 3C tires is by far superior to either SRY or ST. One would think that the ST center knobs would tear or that the SRY edge knobs would wear down - but the tire seems to wear in a uniform fashion AND maintain its grip over a longer period of time. This is due in part to the 70a base layer that provides support to the overlying SRY and ST compounds. The 70a layer actually protrudes a bit up inside each of the knobs on the tread providing a very secure and firm foundation.

If you don't mind the extra rotational mass - I'd go with the 3C compound (in a Minion DHF in your case).

Last edited:

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
I'm running DHF F&R, super tacky front, 3C rear.....no probs...have been running this combo for two years...only thing was had to replace the ST from last year. That's it.

Hopefully I'll run into ya up there.

OB1

Monkey
My 2c....I tried super tacky before deciding to run Minion 3C's for most of last season. I thought 1 tire a month was just the price to pay for good tires. Then I accidentally got ahold of a Digga. Most predictable drift, and best all around DH tire I've ever used. And they last me at least 3 times as long w/o sacrificing rock grip. Not sure how that's possible...but you know what they say about gift horses.

proworkz

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Reno, Nevada
Thanks for the reply people....... So are they other good tires out their other Maxxis?

I am new to DH'ing. My Demo 9 came with this in the front in a 2.7 http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=9045&page=WTB+TIMBERWOLF+TEAM+DH+WIRE+BEAD+DOWNHILL+TIRE

And this in the rear a 2.5 Michelin Mountain Extreme.

My bike hooks up good at N Star. I run 35 psi front and rear. But it's time to get a new rear tire and I want to have the same traction or better than what I already have...

My front 2.7 Timberwolf gives me great traction at N Star. Maybe I could run a 2.5 Timberwolf in the back?

Thanks for the suggestions and help....

J B let me know when you are riding N Star again....

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I ride Northstar twice a week with Minion DHF STs front and rear and they're fantastic tires. Best grip and most predictable cornering of any tire I've ever used, and they're great in the loose stuff. However, the rear tire wears down after about 6 or 7 days of riding. It's kind of ridiculous. I'm going to put a 3c on the rear tomorrow, but keep the ST in front and see what happens.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
However, the rear tire wears down after about 6 or 7 days of riding. It's kind of ridiculous. I'm going to put a 3c on the rear tomorrow, but keep the ST in front and see what happens.
what's ridiculous is whingeing about a soft compound tyre wearing too fast on the rear in dry rocky conditions and replacing it with an even softer compound one that costs twice the price.:shocked: stick a 60a on the back and skid all you want :thumb:

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
what's ridiculous is whingeing about a soft compound tyre wearing too fast on the rear in dry rocky conditions and replacing it with an even softer compound one that costs twice the price.:shocked: stick a 60a on the back and skid all you want :thumb:
what's a tyre? is it something you use with a set of forks? thanks for the constructive and informative post though. you're really adding to the value of this thread.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I agree with the comment about 60a tires, if you are looking for something that will not wear out as fast, I used to run 3Cs or ST minions and high rollers almost exclusively, but it got expensive. Now I just run the 60a compound any time I'm not racing and switch to either a ST or 3C minion or high roller or wetscream (depending on conditions) any time I race. That being said, I just ordered a set of Continental der Kaiser's that I am going to try out. Does any one have any time on these tires yet? The tread pattern looks something like a minion high roller love baby.