Quantcast

maxxis rumors?!?!

through the grape vine i have heard that maxxis might be dropping their bicycle line. this thought scares me. how will i ever go on without the minion or the hookworm!?!? has anyone else heard the same rumor?

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
I heard they downsized but nothing about dropping their bike line. Rumor mill says the bike dept. is being run by 2 people right now.....

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Grapevine info that I read (here I think) was that Maxxis is having to cut waaayyy back on sponsorships (40% or more?). The bicycle division is having massive budget cutbacks.

Jeana Norman, their former bicycling sponsor rep is no longer there and; I've seen that there was late (like last week or this) announcements of a team or two who will be taken on but the rest seems up in the air still.

I have had one communication from bicycling division manager Christopher Warrick but am not hopeful about being re-upped this year.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I will take out a 2nd mortgage in order to hoard tires if that happens. My wife thinks I have a lot in the basement now...?
It's hard to imagine them dropping out when they are arguably the top DH tire manufacturer. I did notice that the prices when up quite a bit this year.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
I have honestly never used anything other than Maxxis on my Downhill bikes...I am with builtyourown haha might have to hoard a massive amount

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I swear the bike world is the only place where Maxxis tyres have any cred whatsoever. And given they can charge as much for a MTB tyre with 1.2kg of rubber in it as they can for a car tyre with 22kg I think they'd be killing the golden goose to scrap their bicycle lineup.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
id have to agree with that. Its a pitty the mtb market is so small. Having 90% of such a small market obviously doesn't pay the bills.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
I swear the bike world is the only place where Maxxis tyres have any cred whatsoever. And given they can charge as much for a MTB tyre with 1.2kg of rubber in it as they can for a car tyre with 22kg I think they'd be killing the golden goose to scrap their bicycle lineup.
Your right, except for the entire economy of scale deal might come into it.
Maybe by time you factor in R&D on MTB it aint worth it.. But I doubt they will be killing the MTB line.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Your right, except for the entire economy of scale deal might come into it.
Maybe by time you factor in R&D on MTB it aint worth it.. But I doubt they will be killing the MTB line.
Yeah, I see your point - but then they'd simply cut back on R&D (as they've done) rather than write the whole exercise off without recouping costs.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I highly doubt Maxxis is going to drop their bicycle product line for a lot of different reasons, but considering the amount of oil that goes into the production of a tire (car, bike, moto, or otherwise) AND considering the current worldwide economic climate (a whole country declared bankruptcy a few weeks ago) massive cuts in different areas such as bicycle operations would seem logical.

Michelin has ceased prodcution on their line of MTB tires for 09' to re-tool and design a new line of rubber, but the fact that this coincides with the way the markets are right now definitely helps them financially.

Not sure what is going on over at Kenda, ITS, or other companies, but just becasue a few take certain actions doesn't mean they will all behave in a similar fashion. Analysis of Balance Sheets, Income Statements, and operational viability all play into the decisions these companies make. For example Conti and ITS are introducing new product for 09' as is GEAX if I'm not mistaken...

Last edited:

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Maxxis is made by Chin Sheng-'spell'? rubber which I think is the largest tire manufacturer
in the world. I think it's kinda weird them cutting back so much. I think maxxis
mountain bike tires are such a small percent of their total business it would
not drastically change their profit margins either way.
Funny they layed off one guy they had just hired to do specific design and promotion of the mtb tires.
I was told that sponsorship will be cutting back across the board. Dang I will miss their tires!
Since 2000 They have hooked me up with some of the best tires out there. I will miss them.... and thanks for all the memories! sniffle
Thanks Jeana for your hard work over the past years! Sucks they let her go.

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Their truck tires are pretty well respected over here. They aren't very common, but that is a dealer network issue, not a quality issue.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
The Maxxis Trepador and Creepy Crawlers are some of the most sought after tires in the rock crawling/rock racing industry.

Maxxis is associated with Cheng Shin Tires, I think I recall Maxxis being owned by CST. CST is a HUGE tire company(over $2 Billion dollars in tire sales in 2008). I'm sure Maxxis will be around for some time to come.

-Kevin

Last edited: