Quantcast

Maxxis Shorty

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
They look to be something that's been needed for a while. Imagine how much time a mechanic can save not having to snip 100's of little spikes every race. I'll be getting these for sure.

Also, note the sharpie'd out wet screams on Remi's bike?..........

bholwell

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
Knoxville, TN
maxxis shawty
That's what they should've named the tire! I referred to the project as 'Short Spike' from the beginning, so I guess the name just fell into place.

I was beginning to wonder if this tire would ever see the light of day. More voluminous carcass than a WetScream, and of course no trimming necessary.

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground
The muddy mary is my fav tire for rocky loamy loose stuff, so I see this as a clear home run for maxxis, as they have been missing a tire for that imo (contis Baron is similar in use as well)

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
now all they need is to make "woo's wet dream" aka: trimmed DHR2 centerline paired to the OG HR corner knobs.

pretty much all you need, between those, the shorty's and wetscreams.

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
The muddy mary is my fav tire for rocky loamy loose stuff, so I see this as a clear home run for maxxis, as they have been missing a tire for that imo (contis Baron is similar in use as well)
i prefer the Intense Intruder over the Muddy Mary tried the MM,s for a few months and just switched back to the Intruder and love them , everyone bugs me for using a mud tire , i just laugh if they are a mud tire they are the softest compound mud tire i have ever seen , not to mention the MM,s are huge the 2.5" looks like a 2.7" when put beside a 2.5" Maxxis tire

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Interesting they never made the Medusa in a DH casing (that I know of anyway), which looks pretty similar with the exception of the center block.
I agree a bunch of us east coast guys ride in some garbage (and im sure lots of other areas like the UK have the same issue)...I have run cut wet screams in the winter on my trail bike for a while, but they are pigs. I would love to see these in both DH and single ply casing. Dare I say a 650 casing as well...There has got to be a market....

Last edited:

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
The Shorty does look pretty good, I have been a fan of the cut spike before but cutting them takes a while and they wear out so freaking fast, these might last a little longer but will still be a race day only thing for me I think.

On the subject of the MM 2.5 being massive compared to a Maxxis 2.5, even the new Maxxis 2.5 is much bigger than the old ones (I have a new 29 x 2.5 Minion on my Enduro 29er that dwarfs the 2.5's on my dh bike in width)

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
I have a mental block about schwable tires. I have tried everyone of them and every once and a while someone will talk me into trying another one.

I like the shorty kind of reminds me of what a warn down trail king (rubber queen) looks like from conti. Something to consider when the minions run down for sure.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I agree a bunch of us east coast guys ride in some garbage (and im sure lots of other areas like the UK have the same issue)...I have run cut wet screams in the winter on my trail bike for a while, but they are pigs. I would love to see these in both DH and single ply casing. Dare I say a 650 casing as well...There has got to be a market....
I'm not sure if they do a 650b, but I loved the FR version of the Dirty Dan for muddy trail rides last winter.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Holy fvck that bontrager looks sweet. Must find. And no kidding about the PNW being dry. I actually have a high roller semi slick on the back of my DHR right now. Who needs braking anyway?

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
The Bontrager downhill tires I've seen seem to have a funny profile, shoulder knobs are a bit further down the sidewall and they have a more aggressive angle. Seems like it you'd have to get the bike leaned over more to get them to bite.

Why does everyone keep comparing the shorty to the Muddy Mary? Looks like a Magic Mary to me...

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Why does anyone compare the tire to any others? What seem like vague similarities are often huge differences. The devil's in the details.
You're in the wrong biz these days. ;)

Hey shirk, is that really a hard compound one they're offering? Looks like shlt braking traction for a dh bike (hence why they should make a hard G5) but looks like a happy pants trail tire.

Last edited:

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
You're in the wrong biz these days. ;)

Hey shirk, is that really a hard compound one they're offering? Looks like shlt braking traction for a dh bike (hence why they should make a hard G5) but looks like a happy pants trail tire.
I have no idea. I want one in a good durable casing in the 900g range for summer trail bike rear tire.

In the latest EWS video from Dirt TV I see JHK running it as a rear.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Jhk had a 29" 2.3 tlr rear when I saw him at the canyons enduro.

Does bontrager offer any 1.5 casings? Not that I know of, but agree of course that would be radicals.

Last edited:

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground
i prefer the Intense Intruder over the Muddy Mary tried the MM,s for a few months and just switched back to the Intruder and love them , everyone bugs me for using a mud tire , i just laugh if they are a mud tire they are the softest compound mud tire i have ever seen , not to mention the MM,s are huge the 2.5" looks like a 2.7" when put beside a 2.5" Maxxis tire
Haven't tried the intruder, but how could being massive be a bad thing?! My bike felt positively anorexic when I put my Minions on after a spring on Marys. Looking down on a Schwalbe tire makes you feel like a moto rider! Just run low pressure and monster truck everything! BRAAAAAAHP!

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
Haven't tried the intruder, but how could being massive be a bad thing?! My bike felt positively anorexic when I put my Minions on after a spring on Marys. Looking down on a Schwalbe tire makes you feel like a moto rider! Just run low pressure and monster truck everything! BRAAAAAAHP!

my new bike is a 2012 Entourage and the 2.5 MM is too big in the rear less then a 1/4" or clearance between the stays and the tire . as for pressure i run 32/34lbs most of the time not a fan of the tire wadding up and such