Quantcast

Maxxis to re-label tires to a "true sizing" for 08 (they're actually measuring them)

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Check it out:

http://www.nsmb.com/gear/Ib07edfergs_sands5.php

Maxxis has couple of new tricks up their collective sleeves. The Ardent is an all-new tire that will go up to 2.6 in sizing and has 60 threads per inch in the casing. The other change in the Maxxis line is “true sizing”. Maxxis realized that most tire sizes have about as much truth and consistency in them as women’s jeans sizes. That made it nearly impossible to tell what you were really getting in terms of tread width, so Maxxis remeasured and relabeled all its tires to be true to a single sizing standard. Their new 2.4 is last years 2.5, this year’s 2.6 is last year’s 2.7, and so on.. It remains to be seen if other manufacturers adopt this straightforward approach or continue to put out rail-thin “2.3” tires whose casings only slightly outsize the average Polish sausage.
...sounds about right. :)

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
:disgust::disgust:baahhhh, now they will be more expensive...more rubber, more $$$$$$:banghead::banghead::banghead:
Reading comprehension, look into it.:disgust1:

The tires are the same size, they just made the numbers reflect the actual size.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
so what, the tires are still the same size . . but at least they've reconciled a 2.5mm discrepancy in labeling. they could call them small, medium, and large for all i care.

of course maxxis is new to the game so no one really knows how big their tires are:crazy:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
That's F'ing stupid. Now you can have 2 different tires both marked 2.5 that will be completely different sizes. Great.
Just like mavic rims. How many years since they switched and people still can't keep all the numbers straight.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
That's F'ing stupid. Now you can have 2 different tires both marked 2.5 that will be completely different sizes. Great.
Just like mavic rims. How many years since they switched and people still can't keep all the numbers straight.
some people need to learn to read:poster_oops:

if last years 2.5 is now 2.4 and 2.7 is now 2.6 then the 2 tires you have marked 2.5 are, you guessed it, 2.5 (or 2.4 . . . or still the medium sized dh tire it has been, and will continue to be, despite the 2mm difference in labeling). phew, that was confusing.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I did retard. The article clearly says "Their new 2.4 is last years 2.5, this year’s 2.6 is last year’s 2.7, and so on."

That means my tires from this year and my tires from last year will both read 2.5 but be different sizes.

Did I insult you? I assumed, based on your response that you hadn't read the article. If you have, you clearly need to pursue improving your reading comprehension. However, if you'd like to call me a retard to my face, I'm glad to oblige - just post up and swing through Ballard or SST.

What it means is what it literally says, they are standardizing the measurement based on casing and that the tire which has always been a 2.4 but was mislabeled as a 2.5, will now be labeled a 2.4 but is otherwise unchanged.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
they need to buy better polish sausage.

and some pierogi!

ps gazzi 3.0s rule in the slick slick nastiness of plattekill in mid-november. Yay global warming! I love 15 psi!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I did retard. The article clearly says "Their new 2.4 is last years 2.5, this year’s 2.6 is last year’s 2.7, and so on."

That means my tires from this year and my tires from last year will both read 2.5 but be different sizes.
okay, try again.

tires offered in 2007 = 2.5 and 2.7
tires offered in 2008 = 2.4 and 2.6

so where is this mysterious mislabeled 2.5 tire of which you speak?

in fact, where, in anything you have read, is there any mention of a 2.5 tire being offered in 2008?

in even simpler terms:
in 2007 you could get a car in red and green. in 2008 you can only get yellow and blue. what color is your red car now?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I have 4 mobsters here that SAY 2.7 and measure 2.35. :D
Maybe that's why I got 'em for $10 apiece?
Duck <---- far from complaining

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
you need tires for your a-t-v?

I mean, bigger than 2.5 is useless... except for gazzalodi's which are sweet for hucking the gnar...

Thats my norba number, but you are probably right, theres no way I know what Im talking about. Come out and hit 40+ mph down Snowmass and Vermont and then come talk to me about tire choice, okay skippy?

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
they need to buy better polish sausage.

and some pierogi!

ps gazzi 3.0s rule in the slick slick nastiness of plattekill in mid-november. Yay global warming! I love 15 psi!
Platte is the land of Michy Comp 16 2.2's -- Never understood why people wanted tires that float on the shale rather than cut through!

and gazzis should never be run with more than 12psi!!! :imstupid:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
okay, try again.

tires offered in 2007 = 2.5 and 2.7
tires offered in 2008 = 2.4 and 2.7

so where is this mysterious mislabeled 2.5 tire of which you speak?

in fact, where, in anything you have read, is there any mention of a 2.5 tire being offered in 2008?

in even simpler terms:
in 2007 you could get a car in red and green. in 2008 you can only get yellow and blue. what color is your red car now?
Lee Trumpore

Game. Set. Match.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I think they're the only one that is undersized, but oversized casings abound too. EG - Kenda Nevegals are 2.6 and 2.8 vs thelabeled 2.5 and 2.7; I have seen a few claims that Mich 32 2.8's were 2.7's as well.

Maxxis is definitely the biggest offender with the mislabeled tires.

This is a reply to the below message, I love how the monkey shuffles!!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
buildyourown -
It's great to see you've mastered reading, now learn to read between the lines. Considering it's a release of 08 product, I'm quite sure by "this year" and "last year" they are referring to 08 and 07, they aren't saying that 2.5's purchased this year are actually 2.5" and ones purchased last year are 2.4. They are saying that from now (or 08) onwards, the original 2.5's (which have always been the same) will be labeled as 2.4".

With that aside, did anyone find this hilarious?
It remains to be seen if other manufacturers adopt this straightforward approach or continue to put out rail-thin “2.3” tires whose casings only slightly outsize the average Polish sausage.
I'm an avid maxxis fan and all, but it's no secret that they are the only big name company that label their rubber so out of whack... I can't believe they'd have the nerve to try and take the moral high ground here. Hopefully it's just the way NSMB put it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Platte is the land of Michy Comp 16 2.2's -- Never understood why people wanted tires that float on the shale rather than cut through!

and gazzis should never be run with more than 12psi!!! :imstupid:
cut through? why would you want to cut through? you want to surf the shale like a monster truck on a surf bored. come on now. hey. why doncha?

the only place I run my gazzis is at plattekill...and i love it. althought the rider's right side of the mountain is less huck banzai than the left. the left had way more gnar/square inch (GSI).

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
I'm an avid maxxis fan and all, but it's no secret that they are the only big name company that label their rubber so out of whack... I can't believe they'd have the nerve to try and take the moral high ground here. Hopefully it's just the way NSMB put it.
Hehe, i too got a snicker out of that one :imstupid:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Thats my norba number, but you are probably right, theres no way I know what Im talking about. Come out and hit 40+ mph down Snowmass and Vermont and then come talk to me about tire choice, okay skippy?
Whoa man!

You have an actual NORBA NUMBER?

God dayum, there are some famous ass people here.

Do you have any pics of you in a $700 troy lee outfit as well?
Cuz that would really like, you know, seal the deal on your credibility and all.

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
Whoa man!

Cuz that would really like, you know, seal the deal on your credibility and all.
I guess he took it a bit too seriously...

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Glad I don't have to deal with it at the retail level, keeping new and old inventory separate will be key! It will suck in a couple of seasons when going through the pile of used tires to thrash for a Whistler weekend though.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Whoa man!

Kidwoo, go fornicate yourself with an iron stick. My outfit is only worth five to six hundred dollars, not counting the roll of quarters I keep in the crotch of my pants to create the illusion of greater volume.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Kidwoo, go fornicate yourself with an iron stick. My outfit is only worth five to six hundred dollars, not counting the roll of quarters I keep in the crotch of my pants to create the illusion of greater volume.
sam hill rocks a cucumber in his drawers, much more effective.