Quantcast

Maxxis Tubeless Strip Users

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I have a question for anyone running Maxxis Tubeless Strips withs 721s - what size do I need? 26DH1??? Their website used to have a chart with rim models listed and the strip that was required. It's not there anymore. I'm gonna give this another shot after failing with 321s. Anyone have experience with the 721s and these strips?

toby

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Well, 321's and 721's are pretty much the same rim width so if you are having trouble with one it will happen with the other.

In Mavics product codes, the first digit is an abbreviation for the kind of construction used (3 = 300 series: pinned, 5 = 500 series:welded, 7 = 700 series:welded, 8 = 800 series:welded)

The second digit is the inner rim width - so: 321 means a rim with an inner width of 21mm.

As far as what width rim strip to use with a 321, here is all the info you'll need:

Style: 26A1
Part #: RS00468000
Inner rim width: 19, Inner rim height: 9.5

Style: 26A2
Part #: RS00468100
Inner rim width: 16.4, Inner rim height: 8.6

Style: 26A3
Part #: RS00468300
Inner rim width: 17, Inner rim height: 10

Style: 26A5
Part #: RS00468400
Inner rim width: 18.2, Inner rim height: 9.5

Style: 26DH1
Part #: RS00468200
Inner rim width: 21.2, Inner rim height: 10.2

Style: 26DH2
Part #: RS00468500
Inner rim width: 22, Inner rim height: 12

If the 26DH1 isn't working, try the 26A5.

Hope this helps.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I actually tried to set them up about a year ago or so with a 321(729) and new Comp16, and then a High Roller. No luck. I couldn't get the bead to seat in the "hook" on the strip. Now I have new rims on the way (721s) and I'm willing to try to get it to work again. I want to make sure I get the right size strip.

toby

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
No problems here setting DH1's up on D521's and Azonic Outlaws or DH2's on D321's. I use stans sealant and either Maxxis or Michelin tires. Not one flat and I've been running them for about a year. I even ran my michelin 2.8" tires at 12 psi a couple times and couldn't flat em!

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Discostu said:
No problems here setting DH1's up on D521's and Azonic Outlaws or DH2's on D321's. I use stans sealant and either Maxxis or Michelin tires. Not one flat and I've been running them for about a year. I even ran my michelin 2.8" tires at 12 psi a couple times and couldn't flat em!
Thanks for the info - I'll give it another go.

toby

J

JRB

Discostu said:
Aren't the rims on Outlaws Alex Supra Ds??? Aren't they the same as performance Loco wheels??? I ask because I have strips on those wheels, but don't know which ones for sure. Will the DH1s work on those rims, as well as Singletracks??

Thanks

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I just measured my outlaws and they have all the same measurements as Alex gives on the Supra D, and they definately look the same. I don't know anything about the locos, but again from the pictures I can find they look the same.

I do know the 26DH1 works great on outlaws and d521's (and probably supra d's and locos). I don't see any reason it shouldn't work with the singletrack, they are about the same size as outlaws, but I've never tested it so I can't say for sure.

I hope that helps

J

JRB

Thanks man - that helps a ton. I think I will order a few pairs while they are still available.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Is anyone running a layer of cloth tape underneath? Two Layers? What are the set-up tricks? I've got mine mounted. Just waiting to build my rear wheel and find a compressor.

toby

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Can you run the Maxxis tubeles on 721s w/o Stans or other sealant ?

Don't understand the difference in tubeless rim strips.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Transcend the thing is that I've heard the weight loss is a wash and the Stan's makes a mess of the rim.

What has been your experience ? Also, do you have to run UST tires ? (obviously I don't know much about this system)

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
All any of the rim strips do is seal the spoke holes and provide a seal for the tire's bead. UST rims have no spoke hole in the rim bed and seal that way. UST rims and tires are (in theory) designed to work well together and are supposed to be hand mountable and removable and are easily inflated with a floor pump. In practice, some tires are tighter than a (insert rude saying of your own) Like some schwalbes and Geax that I have used. Others are too loose and it is really difficult to inflate without a compressor.

You can run either UST or standard tires with any of the tubeless sytems, in theory. Some standard tires may be really difficult to inflate with UST rims. The problem with rim strips is that the various standard rims are not consistent in width depth and shape so you might have to fiddle with extra tape under the strip to make it thicker so that the tire fits a little tighter and will hold the initial balst of air and inflate. Once you have that dialed it's a pretty good system.

Sealants are a little messy. If you have a poor fitting tire blow off the rim, well you're washing walls and clothes. Stan's website has a bunch of videos which go a long way in explaining how to install the various components as well as some excellent tests showing how well the tubeless systems work. Although his "C" clamp test is irrelevant in my view because no tire will go through that type of thing in real use.