Quantcast

Maxxis UST tires - anyone else use them?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I've been a huge fan of Maxxis for a long time, their traction is awesome and the Slow Reezay compound sticks like glue for DH and freeride.

So I started using the Highroller UST tires for my XC bikes a couple years ago. The original reason I got them was they were cheaper than other UST tires. The traction was fine with them, but I started noticing that they got little pinholes in them all the time. So I started using Stan's sealant in them which helps a lot.

I can always tell the Stan's is working because whenever I pull the bike off the wall for a ride, I see little wet spots where the Stan's is sealing all the pinholes. But eventually the Stan's dries up and the tires get another pinhole, and oops, there's a flat.

A couple months ago the shop was out of the Highroller UST's so I picked up a Michelin UST tire. The traction of the Michelin is as good as the Highroller for the conditions I ride, actually a little better for climbing. I put the Stan's in there out of habit.

After quite a bit of riding on the Michelin tire, I've made an interesting discovery. I ride it on all the same trails, but it doesn't get pinholes! No little Stan's wet spots! Meanwhile the Maxxis still has an average of one new hole per ride.

The Michelins cost about $10 more per tire. But I'm thinking it's worth it. Anyone else use these tires and have similar experiences?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
I've been running UST Ignitors and Larsens on my XC bike and never had those kind of problems.
Strange?
It happens to both tires?

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
so I picked up a Michelin UST tire. The traction of the Michelin is as good as the Highroller for the conditions I ride, actually a little better for climbing.
What tire / size did you pick up? I am running WTB UST Weirwolf's. The only thing I don't like about them is they only come in a 2.1.....I am looking for a 2.3 or a 2.5 for the wet season riding here in the northeast. Preferably something < 1000g.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Maybe that guy that tried to make the snow tires took the screws out and returned the tires to the shop. You just happened to be the unlucky guy to pick'em up. :confused:

Do the pinholes look like this?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
i've been running them and know a couple of ppl that work there. apparently they made some problems with the first generation high roller ust's. those problems have been solved though for the newer sets.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
berkshire_rider said:
What tire / size did you pick up? I am running WTB UST Weirwolf's. The only thing I don't like about them is they only come in a 2.1.....I am looking for a 2.3 or a 2.5 for the wet season riding here in the northeast. Preferably something < 1000g.
Hmmm...
I run the WTB Weirwolf on the front of my bike in 2.5. I buy the "Race" version that is 730g. It is a non-ust tire, but just throw some Stan's in there and you will be fine (I have).
It will be quite some time before I try something different on the front of my bike. I love them.
http://www.wtb.com/weirwolf.html

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
indieboy said:
i've been running them and know a couple of ppl that work there. apparently they made some problems with the first generation high roller ust's. those problems have been solved though for the newer sets.
Hmm. I'll have to give them a call. Maybe if they hook me up with a couple of the "new" tires, based on the fact that I've had 6 tires with problems, I'll give them another chance.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Nope, sealant doesn't really do anything for making it tubeless. The sealant is more like the slime you'd find in a slime tube, but 20 times cooler and 20 times work better :thumb:

Put sealant in it...it will make your life mucho easier.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Also, while we're on this topic of tires...whats a decent mud tire that will work well with Stan's under 2.3? My Serac's packed up tighter than a Japanese schoolgirl yesterday in mud and I couldn't climb worth crap.