Quantcast

maxxis uts problems. anyone else in the same boat?

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
Hey, I have a minion dhf 2.5 ust and a highroller ust 2.5 rear.

my rear tire looks like someone took a razor blade to my tire and sliced all the way around my tire on both sides. its right where the sticky rubber meets the sidewall rubber.

my dhf has kind of the same thing going on, but in one spot its actually pealing up quite a bit.

anyone else have this problem? How is maxxis on their warrenty?

I was up at crankworx and i noticed the same kind of thing on chris van dine's maxxis ust tires. So i know I'm not the only one with this problem.

I'm also having problems with my rear tire holding air with the ghetto tubless system. I'm really not wanting to put any sort of sealing liquid inside, but I'm guessing i might have to. It tends to drop from 40 to 10 psi overnight. So i can get through a ride no problem, its just kind of annoying. It was totally fine untill one day up at crankworks it just started leaking on me. not sure why exaclty. and I've never been able to seal it up perfectly again. any suggestions on that?

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
I've been running Minion UST's with Mavic UST dh rims (823's) and they've been awesome... zero problems, even with a big flatspot on one of the rims, I never loose pressure and I've only flatted once (huge nail puncture). I use stans sealent, I've heard you don't have to with UST tires and rims, but for downhill I think it's a good idea.

Do you use UST rims? If not, you probably need to put some sealent in there so you don't keep leaking air. As for the "sliced tire" thing, I've never had that problem, but sounds like it could be a warrenty issue as long as the tires are still fairly new.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I've had some Maxxis USTs that are in the same condition. In my case, EVERY TIME, the tread wore out before that "split" did anything. In fact, that "split" has never been an issue.

Ride them and don't worry about it. :)

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
The cracks in the tread are just part of running super tacky tires. Every one i've owned from maxxis has done that, thats why i keep them stictly as race tires and run harder compounds for the rest of the time.

The tire sealent isnt a bad thing. My rear rim is dented to hell, a ust set up would have lost all its air long ago. However, i run stans sealent and the tire still holds air and has been quite the advantage for me on the race course.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
You guys are talking out your azz. He is reffering to a particular characteristic of the UST tires. This type of crack isn't part of running ST tires. The split he is reffering to is unique to Maxxis' UST tires. Ride them until the completely seperate, then call Maxxis. Otherwise keep running them.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
iridebikes - What you are referring to is partial tread separation. During the manufacturing process the tread or "cap" is laid over the tire carcass assembly (basically the plies of the tire, the sidewalls, the bead, etc.) and then cured along with some other processes in between.

My guess is that this is simply a manufacturing problem and that it can easily be solved with the proper adherance of the tread to the carcass.

If ProFro said it will be O.K. to ride on them - then do so. I've read his posts and he knows his tires... :D

I have UST but have decided to switch over next year...

...so Van Dine has gone tubeless.... interesting...

Hope this helps.

Oct 19, 2001
I have had the same problem with some of my Maxxis UST tires. I was a little worried at first, but just kept riding them and checking frequently. I found that they split so far, and that was it. Never had any real problems with them, and I rode a couple that split until the tread was gone. I seemed to only have that problem with the High Rollers, my Minions haven't split. As far as sealant, I had tons of leaking problems pre sealant, and none since I started running 3/4 of a scoop of stans per tire. I won't ride tubless again without sealant.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
well van dine was running ust tires, but with normal rims and tubes. He does it because even though they are a tad heavier casing, the folding aspect is a few ounces lighter than the big steel wire bead. but as far as I know, he doesn't actually run tubless.

Thanks for the info guys. If my tires get worse, I will send them back. But I'll just deal with it. and i'll have to get some sealant... dang. oh well.

Does the stans sealant dry up in the tire, or is it always sloshing around inside like slime tubes?