Quantcast

Maxxis Wetscream

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
A lot of pros were running cut down versions of the Wetscream at Schladming and Maribor WCs in dry conditions.

Whats the differnence of a cut down version of the Wetsream and the stock swampthing?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
swampthings are a very round profile with small knobs. wetscreams are very much like a narrow, "spiked" version of the minion dhf profile with a definite cornering edge that the swampthing does not have.

these have the center knobs trimmed. i've used them a bunch in soft dirt, but for harder packed trails the side knobs can be trimmed as well.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Look closely I'm running some trimmed Wetscreams here. But the conditions have to be just right for them to be beneficial. But when they are, its like cheating.

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
my question is, do they offer a lot more rollling resistance than minnions? how are they in dry coniditions?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
my question is, do they offer a lot more rollling resistance than minnions? how are they in dry coniditions?
The race that the Pic of Profro is from was dry as hell, but a lot of riders were benefiting from "mud" tires because the dirt was so fresh and loose that the knobs were helping to penetrate down to the solid dirt.

Jun 20, 2007
swampthings are a very round profile with small knobs. wetscreams are very much like a narrow, "spiked" version of the minion dhf profile with a definite cornering edge that the swampthing does not have.

these have the center knobs trimmed. i've used them a bunch in soft dirt, but for harder packed trails the side knobs can be trimmed as well.
Good photo that really shows what the knobs are like. That is a wild tread pattern. I can see why they must hook up well in wet/soft terrain.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
jonKranked- i know that, just taking the piss on the hill fan boys.
oh I know. i'm just sick of pinkshirt riding SH's jock. :busted:

I heard sam hill even runs wet screams on his xc bike and his road bike. and he will use them on his wheelchair when he gets old.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
sam hill doesn't ride road or xc, but if he were to, he would do it on his sunday(or maybe his mark3), with these tires:

cut down, of course.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I've been using the 2.5 WetScreams for everyday riding for a while now. Great all-rounders even in the dry (gotta cut down those center knobs).

If the track is hardpack or rock however, I'll switch to HighRollers.

I even have a WetScream 2.5 in 80 compound. So stiff, you'll never roll the side knobs. Great for grassy tracks.

Dave-B

Chimp
Mar 13, 2007
new zealand
I love my cut down 2.5 super tacky wetscreams, There mint in conditions from rutted slop to loose soil and they grip roots and rocks like highrollers.
But when the dirt drys up and starts to get hard they roll super slow and squirm in the corners.