Quantcast

May sound corny... a ride report of sorts

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I rode to work this morning... first time I've commuted via bike in a long time and it was my first road ride of the season. The bike was dialed in (smooth, quiet, fast), weather was great, and I felt pretty decent for early April. It felt really good to be out.

As some of you know, I've been in the throws of a divorce for about 18 months now. While it's not an ugly divorce, it's still been hard and I've found myself questioning a lot of things (mostly about myself... purpose in life, direction, etc...).

With all I've been through lately, as uncertain as things have been, as up and down as the emotional roller coaster is... at 7:35 this morning I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was supposed to be on my bike, on that stretch of road. Everything about the ride - the bike, the weather, the traffic - everything was "in tune"... it was perfect. It was "bigger" than just spinning wheels, turning cranks, and pumping legs...

I'm not a religous man, but if that is the feeling people get from faith/religion, I can definitely understand the appeal.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
i love that zen feeling.

also, i went through the same kind of divorce and questioning and am confident that youll come out of it even better than you imagine.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Good stuff. And hang in there with the divorce stuff. It sucks - I know - but you gotta just keep on keepin on - that's all you can do.

Peace,

Mark

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
nice Jackson! I have missed seeing you round these parts!

riding for me = clearing my head! it really helps as does trail building.

+rep in 3...2...1...

shamrock

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
nice :thumb: I'm starting my bike/ferry commuting of the season next week I can't wait... It's not a trail but I still get that sense of freedon you're talking about, none the less... No stress just you & the bike.

Sorry to hear bout the other stuff.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Not corny, not corny at all. I wish more people would share stories about stuff like this. Makes me want to get on my bike.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Nothing corny about it. I call it BEING IN THE MOMENT. I love that feeling when, even for a split second, everything is clear. Good vibes goin to ya!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I friggin LIVE for those moments.

Been through a breakup myself recently - not an ugly divorce, but still - and about two weeks after it happened I found myself out on a long ride with a bunch of good friends. On one of the longer climbs I ended up in no-mans land, with people in front and in back, but no one in sight. Gorgeous day, new bike, one of my favorite trails, feeling fit. Had that same feeling. Good to be healthy and alive, doing what I'm doing - that all is well in my own little universe.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I love that feeling when everything just comes together perfectly. For me it happens out in the woods where I can reach a zen like state. It's when thinking goes away and you cease to simply be riding on a trail in the woods, you are riding with the trail. It evolves into a state when you let go of the self and become part of something greater than yourself.

Missy Giove used to refer to it as the Flow State. She could ride outside of herself during race runs, not something easily achieved.

I remember the first time I rode like this. It was '95 and I was by myself on a trail in the high country of Western NC. I was able to ride with fluid like grace on a rocky trail with out rear suspension. That was the day I had my first perfect turn. I exited the corner with the same amount of speed that I entered it with. Both wheels tracked in the same line. For a brief, yet unforgettable, moment in time I felt weightless.

Thank you jacksonpt for reminding me of something that I have ignored for too long.

+ rep to you

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I hear ya Jackson.. I'm glad you got to feel the ride. I love days like that.. you feel unstoppable and able to ride forever..
people joke and say they are going to there place of worship when the ride on Sundays .. but i would like to believe there is truth to that. I dont need a priest, church .. groups of people to rlfect on life and give me direction.. I get it all on a two hour ride though the woods

I have always said that riding clears my mind and helps me think and figure things out.
and a bad day riding is better than not riding at all..

Enjoy the ride!!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
As for getting over the ex....giving random one nightstands the ole double fish hooks is fun if they are into it......or not.

hehehe