Quantcast

Maybe I need a Giro Switchblade. :-( OUCH!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I went for a ride tonight with Tonyhawk and a bunch of other CT based riders at the West Hartford Reservoir. It was a great ride and I rode some sections of trail better than I ever have in my life........but just one moment of lack of focus and you pay for it.

There was a section of trail where you had to drop down off a log and then a take a sharp right......well I lost focus or failed to look far enough ahead and whammo before I knew it I was OTB and faceplanting on a nice CT rock. OUCH! I took a cut above my eye, a nice bruise to my cheekbone and a nice little rock rash to my face. :( :dead:

Still it was a kick ass ride! :D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by BigMike
I get out of shaving too. I just go scruffy :devil:

Looks like pain, but hey man, keep on ridin!
It hurts like a mofo - but it was worth it.

And other good things happened today. My new bushings and bolts came for my Belair shock mount and my DH2 Fork arrived via UPS!! :devil: :cool: :)

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Mark,

At least you are still beautifull mate, loads of worse things could have happened with a faceplant.

I would suggest not to get a Switchblade, get a true Fullface helmet.

Yannis

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
Originally posted by math2014
Mark,

At least you are still beautifull mate, loads of worse things could have happened with a faceplant.

Yannis

A switchblade would have saved him in this crash, but a harder impact and the switchblade would not be strong enough.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by Instigator
A switchblade would have saved him in this crash, but a harder impact and the switchblade would not be strong enough.
Yeah, but the problem is a switchblade feels stronger than a normal helmet, so you're more likely to take risks. A good fullface, like a Giro MadMax, is the way to go.

Sorry you got hurt!

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Originally posted by MMcG
I'm a hurtin Monkey tonight - but it was worth it! :)
Ouch.
Now you need to make up some damn good story to tell your non-riding buddies & coworkers.

"Well, there were these two lumberjacks getting frisky with a young woman at a roadside bar. Being the chivalrous man I am, I had to interceed.....I would have emerged unscathed if I had noticed their friend at the bar before he him me with that chair.......needless to day, I dispatched the villans, and saved the honor of the young lady......"

Milk it for all it's worth.....
:cool:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by math2014
Mark,

Yannis
I have a full face - a Vigor Vamoose II but I would overheat big time wearing that thing on an trail ride.

I just need to be a better - more focused - rider.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
CRAP! That looks painful! I'm not sure I know what section of the reservoir you're talking about.

Hope you got some sympathy from some mudhunnies.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
actually, he's being modest. we were flying down a tight twisty section, er a steep rocky technical section that ends in a 2 ... no 3 ... no 6 foot drop and a squirrel ran in front of him, I mean a girl scout walking her dog walked right under the landing, so he did a table top to avoid hitting her but biffed the landing, or maybe he hit a branch or something, then crashed. yeah, that's exactly how it hapened. honest ;)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by tonyhawk
actually, he's being modest. we were flying down a tight twisty section, er a steep rocky technical section that ends in a 2 ... no 3 ... no 6 foot drop and a squirrel ran in front of him, I mean a girl scout walking her dog walked right under the landing, so he did a table top to avoid hitting her but biffed the landing, or maybe he hit a branch or something, then crashed. yeah, that's exactly how it hapened. honest ;)
Wow i had the EXACT same thing happen to me yesterday during my solo ride!!! But there were also gremlins and their pet squirrels shooting poisin darts from the tree's, and i actually cleared this concrete slab booter at the end because of my MAD SKILLZ combined with the sturdiness of my Fox Talas!
Nobody believes me though so i never usually say nothing about stuff like this.....:mad:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Ouch!

Nothing a little botox here and there couldn't fix!!

So seriously, how's the Balfa.. :think:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by Jozz
Ouch!

Nothing a little botox here and there couldn't fix!!

So seriously, how's the Balfa.. :think:

Bwahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Nice MMcG!
Glad you're ok though.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
CRAP! That looks painful! I'm not sure I know what section of the reservoir you're talking about.

Hope you got some sympathy from some mudhunnies.
It was a section of trail I had never ridden (nor do I think you have ridden either) before.

Totally biffed it. :(