Quantcast

Maybe they just wanted to play Fireman?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I posted this on one of my FB friends status after he commented that he had no problem with what the Marines did:

I'm going to quote author and Navy SEAL LCMDR Eric Greitens

"So what makes us different from the Taliban? What distinguishes a warrior from a thug? Certainly it’s not the quality of our weapons or the length of our training. Ultimately we’re distinguished by our values. It would have been easy to abuse a prisoner, but any act of wanton personal brutality is not only unproductive to defeating a group like the Taliban, but on a personal level it degrades the warrior and turns him into a thug. Any man who tortures a prisoner, who shoots an innocent person, might escape formal justice, but he can never escape his own self-knowledge. As I worked with this small group of professionals in Afghanistan, it became clear to me that men need to have the strength to conduct themselves with honor on the battlefield."

The values of the United States Marine Corps are the following:
HONOR: integrety, responsibility, accountability
COURAGE: do the right thing, in the righ way for the right reasons
COMMITMENT: devotion to the Corps and my fellow Marines

What these Marines did was not only stupid and wholly without honor demonstrating a lack of strength in their actions, but it was also a blatant slap in the face to the core values of the very Corps they are suppose to be devoted to.

I'm sure some, if not most reading this on your status Curt will disagree, and frankly I could careless. The United States has the best armed forces in the world, and it's not because we have the most advanced equipment, or best training, it's because our WARRIORS by and large conduct themselves with HONOR on the battlefield.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The whole video puts it into context. They were on fire and water was not available. We all know the video was edited to make them look bad.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
they don't have to worry about dadt when they wanr to enlist...
LOL, it was definately a golden shower of hate.
Older one taking his time dropping a duece, telling little bro (tap dancing around barely holding it in) to HTFU or 'do something about it'.
Little guy dropped trou and hosed the prick off.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
LOL, it was definately a golden shower of hate.
Older one taking his time dropping a duece, telling little bro (tap dancing around barely holding it in) to HTFU or 'do something about it'.
Little guy dropped trou and hosed the prick off.
That's ****ing awesome. How do you even get mad at the little guy for that?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
If I had gotten the green light from the parents, I would have dedicated all 13 years of primary education to leaving a brown and yellow trail of tears.

Based on the above, I was just one high five short of legendary.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I climbed to the roof of my school in 5th grade to launch a golden arch of fame. Instead of a high five I got to miss a field trip. Lesson learned. Haven't peed since.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
There we go again, expecting professional killers to act morally.
It is a funny point, but it is true.

You don't create enemies which we deem important enough to kill, then expect our soldiers not to have a twinge of hatred in hearts.

Yes, it was a bad move to piss on the dead Taliban. Almost as bad as shooting them in the first place.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've never had a job where I had to kill people who are trying to kill me so I can't judge too much. Filming it and letting the film get out, ****ing morons.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
In Germany, that's called childhood.
Where did this originate?

I've mentioned the golden shower fetish to my girlfriend. Just joking around, but she didn't know what I was talking about... and really just got kind of upset that I told her all German women like for their man to pee on them. When she began to question what made me think she wanted to be peed on I just told her I learned it here.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
- Somewhere between 17 and 37k civilians killed in Afghanistan.
- Over 100k civilian deaths in Iraq.
- 1800 US deaths in Afghanistan
- 9900 US injuries in Afghanistan
- 4800 US deaths in Iraq
- 31900 US injuries in Iraq
- Kidnapping and indefinite detention of innocent people.
- Torture of innocent people.
- Generals and other commanding officers that either explicitly, or implicitly allowed the desecration of US remains.

And a little piss is what gets people's attention? It makes my head hurt.

Maybe it's not a great idea. But let's focus on the things that are just a smidge more important.

Last edited:

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
It is a funny point, but it is true.

You don't create enemies which we deem important enough to kill, then expect our soldiers not to have a twinge of hatred in hearts.

Yes, it was a bad move to piss on the dead Taliban. Almost as bad as shooting them in the first place.
This is where things like the Bushido warrior code come into play.........treat your foe with honor even in death.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This is where things like the Bushido warrior code come into play.........treat your foe with honor even in death.
and today, its the geneva convention.

i somewhat suspect these guys are gonna get the book thrown at them, apparently this has caused a huge uproar over in afghanistan and the middle east. i saw an article yesterday that this has the potential to drive al quadea sympathy.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
- Somewhere between 17 and 37k civilians killed in Afghanistan.
- Over 100k civilian deaths in Iraq.
- 1800 US deaths in Afghanistan
- 9900 US injuries in Afghanistan
- 4800 US deaths in Iraq
- 31900 US injuries in Iraq
- Kidnapping and indefinite detention of innocent people.
- Torture of innocent people.
- Generals and other commanding officers that either explicitly, or implicitly allowed the desecration of US remains.

And a little piss is what gets people's attention? It makes my head hurt.

Maybe it's not a great idea. But let's focus on the things that are just a smidge more important.
But how many dead bodies have been pissed on so far? You think we should wait until we hit 1K before we care?

UCMJ would disagree.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
And the truth is that Japanese fighters from ancient times through WWII routinely tortured prisoners of war to death for fun in all kinds of excruciating ways.

What is written is often the ideal, and often stands as such because the reality is so far from it.

I think Bean is most on-point here.