Quantcast

Maybe they're just big-boned..???

J

JRB

As fat as I am, dainty little Caroline has to have the little infant head rest installed on her seat. It is huge for her.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My new boss is from the UK. He and his family are nice and skinny. He seems to becoming very american very fast, first thing he did when he got here was buy an SUV. I've asked him to keep track of how much fatter they get in the first year. We are thinking of starting a pool.

J

JRB

Tenchiro said:
If you need a carseat to accomodate your kids fat ass, then it is time to get Creosote Jr a bike.
Not to point out the obvious, but your insult is stupid. If they need a carseat, there's a really good chance they can't ride a bike yet. :think:

Not just for techniro, but everyone that feels superior due to not being fat.
Why not worry about whether or not you are fat and let the rest of the world do their thing??? I personally could stand to lose 25 lbs, but I am not a bad person. People need to get over themselves.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
loco said:
Not to point out the obvious, but your insult is stupid. If they need a carseat, there's a really good chance they can't ride a bike yet. :think:

Why not worry about whether or not you are fat and let the rest of the world do their thing??? I personally could stand to lose 25 lbs, but I am not a bad person. People need to get over themselves.
No....it's the fact that if, say, you're too big for your couch...the answer is NOT a bigger couch. Same thing with car seats, if the kid is too big for a CHILD car seat, the answer is NOT a bigger car seat. It all starts in the home....

No one's a bad person for having a few extra pounds.....but the fact that we continue to accept that we're consumer whores and it's okay to be unhealthy as a nation is disconcerting to say the least. (at least to me.)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We should worry about fat people because they cost me money. #1 health problem in this country is due to fat people. Fat people make health insurance rates higher. I (my company) doesn't pay less for me because I am not fat but pays the rate for the average fat ****er.

Everyone pays for the fat ****s on medicair and medicaid.

J

JRB

So - in the event that a kid is even just large, he shouldn't have something to sit in??? I guess I see the point to some degree, but why not let them build bigger seats??? It's just more options. If the restraint can adjust to a smaller child, I say, why not? The furniture industry makes an A+ sized chair for classrooms now. It's great for kids that are big, a la football, basketball players and such. It's not like the dainty little girl can't sit in it. It's just there is some comfort never afforded the big folks before. I am just amazed at how many people think they are superior because they are mini sized. There's more to it than that.

J

JRB

Westy said:
We should worry about fat people because they cost me money. #1 health problem in this country is due to fat people. Fat people make health insurance rates higher. I (my company) doesn't pay less for me because I am not fat but pays the rate for the average fat ****er.

Everyone pays for the fat ****s on medicair and medicaid.
When people stop smoking and drinking heavily, we can focus on fat. I am pretty sure that high risk sports, like mountain biking, raise premiums a bit as well. Find a better argument.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
loco said:

Hey I have the same problems with a few extra pounds that everyone else has. Even if the kid is still too little to ride a bike doesn't mean he is too young to be shown a proper diet and get some running around in.

People need to think about the lessons they are teaching thir kids. If they don't teach them from the get go how to take care of themselves they are going to have problems their whole lives.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
loco said:
When people stop smoking and drinking heavily, we can focus on fat. I am pretty sure that high risk sports, like mountain biking, raise premiums a bit as well. Find a better argument.
Health benefits of biking outweigh the risks.

People are concerned about smoking and drinking, they have laws to limit that stuff.

If you are not concerned about the weight of your kids you should be. The increased risk of diabetes alone is pretty scary.

J

JRB

Tenchiro said:
Hey I have the same problems with a few extra pounds that everyone else has. Even if the kid is still too little to ride a bike doesn't mean he is too young to be shown a proper diet and get some running around in.

People need to think about the lessons they are teaching thir kids. If they don't teach them from the get go how to take care of themselves they are going to have problems their whole lives.
The parents may not know. I just ate crap growing up. I think they should focus on it at school more than they do.

I am starving right now.

J

JRB

Westy said:
Health benefits of biking outweigh the risks.

People are concerned about smoking and drinking, they have laws to limit that stuff.

If you are not concerned about the weight of your kids you should be. The increased risk of diabetes alone is pretty scary.
Where are the laws?? The limit what you can do with drinking, in regards to injuring other people, but not yourself. You can drink yourself into a liver failing stupor at home. You can smoke 9 cartons in a sitting if you can get them lit. I don't see any constraints on that. If they were worried, I wouldn't be able to smell someone smoking at a stop light. Take downhilling, not knocking it, but don't you think there is an inherent risk??? How about motorcycles, they are not known as the safest things in the world. My point being, yes it's a problem, but saying they jack your rates more than many other factors in life is a blind assumption.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
So a woman in my office brought two boxes of Drake's fruit pies into work last week. I was hungry, so I grabbed a pack. Then I looked at the box: 460 calories, 27g fat per serving. I put the pies back in the box. So one lady says to me "Oh come on! You're so thin. You can eat some fruit pies!"

Ummm.....uhhhhh.......yeah. Maybe there is a reason I manage to stay thin. :clue:

J

JRB

I Are Baboon said:
So a woman in my office brought two boxes of Drake's fruit pies into work last week. I was hungry, so I grabbed a pack. Then I looked at the box: 460 calories, 27g fat per serving. I put the pies back in the box. So one lady says to me "Oh come on! You're so thin. You can eat some fruit pies!"

Ummm.....uhhhhh.......yeah. Maybe there is a reason I manage to stay thin. :clue:
That ain't livin' if you have to pass up the pies. :think:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
loco said:
Where are the laws?? The limit what you can do with drinking, in regards to injuring other people, but not yourself. You can drink yourself into a liver failing stupor at home. You can smoke 9 cartons in a sitting if you can get them lit. I don't see any constraints on that. If they were worried, I wouldn't be able to smell someone smoking at a stop light. Take downhilling, not knocking it, but don't you think there is an inherent risk??? How about motorcycles, they are not known as the safest things in the world. My point being, yes it's a problem, but saying they jack your rates more than many other factors in life is a blind assumption.

We are talking about fat kids. It is illegal for kids to smoke and drink. Tobacco and alcohol are required to provide health warnings.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
loco said:
My point being, yes it's a problem, but saying they jack your rates more than many other factors in life is a blind assumption.
A blind assumption?

You think an enormous (pun intended) national obesity problem is causing fewer health problems than the small sliver of the population that participates in extreme sports - sports that, I might add, carry with them the inherent benefits of requiring the participant to be healthy and in shape?

Are you serious?

You're the one making blind assumptions here.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
loco said:
That ain't livin' if you have to pass up the pies. :think:
I don't have to. I choose too. I have my vices, but those of us who know better understand that you don't have to eat every piece of food that's put under your nose.

J

JRB

Westy said:
We are talking about fat kids. It is illegal for kids to smoke and drink. Tobacco and alcohol are required to provide health warnings.
So we'll make them be healthy until they are old enough to smoke and drink??? I am not quite on course with this thought pattern.

J

JRB

binary visions said:
A blind assumption?

You think an enormous (pun intended) national obesity problem is causing fewer health problems than the small sliver of the population that participates in extreme sports - sports that, I might add, carry with them the inherent benefits of requiring the participant to be healthy and in shape?

Are you serious?

You're the one making blind assumptions here.
I'm saying that there are MANY contributing factors to health care costs. I don't buy in that the vast majority of the cost is driven by obesity.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
man i am so sick of fat. the main reason so many people here in the US are fat is because the US always feels the need to accomadate fat people. we have a tendancy to always adjust everythign to the lowest common denominator. that encourages peopel to be fat and stupid cause if it isnt big or easy enough soon it will be. i remember a few years back when they did a study on the size of SUV seats and the distances between the seat and steering wheekl and how the manufacturers are making those two area larger in order to accomodate "larger" people. i got an idea, make it so hugely fat people cant use these items. If they cant use them they will either lose weight or do without.

J

JRB

I Are Baboon said:
I don't have to. I choose too. I have my vices, but those of us who know better understand that you don't have to eat every piece of food that's put under your nose.
I know better, but do have to eat every piece though. I have learned that I need to eat better since I have been riding less.

J

JRB

biggins said:
man i am so sick of fat. the main reason so many people here in the US are fat is because the US always feels the need to accomadate fat people. we have a tendancy to always adjust everythign to the lowest common denominator. that encourages peopel to be fat and stupid cause if it isnt big or easy enough soon it will be. i remember a few years back when they did a study on the size of SUV seats and the distances between the seat and steering wheekl and how the manufacturers are making those two area larger in order to accomodate "larger" people. i got an idea, make so hugely fat people cant use these items. If they cant use them they will either lose weight or do without.

You do understand that the drive in doing this is demand. It doesn't make sense to ignore any demographic, if you are in the business to truly make money in manufacturing.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
loco said:
You do understand that the drive in doing this is demand. It doesn't make sense to ignore any demographic, if you are in the business to truly make money in manufacturing.
whatever man all iam saying is that maybe what many people need is a fat kick in the ass.If fat people werent accomodated in every way possible there wouldnt be as many fat people.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
loco said:
So we'll make them be healthy until they are old enough to smoke and drink??? I am not quite on course with this thought pattern.
Everything in moderation. If you teach kids how to be responsible with their food intake, chances are they will follow the same patterns with alcohol and other vices.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
loco said:
I'm saying that there are MANY contributing factors to health care costs. I don't buy in that the vast majority of the cost is driven by obesity.
Do you deny that the national obesity problem is a serious contributing factor to healthcare costs?

I mean, this should be self-evident. A) there are a lot of obese people. B) obese people have significant health problems. C) insurance companies pay for these health problems.

If A and B and C, then D) insurance companies spread the cost around to all of their insured customers.

It doesn't even matter if it's a vast majority. It's a large piece of the pie, therefore it should be dealt with. Tobacco should be dealt with as well - but do you shrug and give up on something just because you can't fix everything? What kind of an attitude is that?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
narlus said:
holy damn. how does that happen???
Disney DVD Babysitter.

They put tons of suger into everything anymore.

I bought a loaf of bread the other day that was so sweet it tasted more like a pancake with syrup on it.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
biggins said:
man i am so sick of fat. the main reason so many people here in the US are fat is because the US always feels the need to accomadate fat people. we have a tendancy to always adjust everythign to the lowest common denominator. that encourages peopel to be fat and stupid cause if it isnt big or easy enough soon it will be. i remember a few years back when they did a study on the size of SUV seats and the distances between the seat and steering wheekl and how the manufacturers are making those two area larger in order to accomodate "larger" people. i got an idea, make it so hugely fat people cant use these items. If they cant use them they will either lose weight or do without.
Funny you mention that. I have thought for a while that clothes are getting bigger size wise. I used to wear medium t shirts and they were fine. Now I wear a small. The odd thing is I have gotten bigger since then...:think:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
loco said:

You are right. Because kids can drink when they get older who cares how healthy they are. All the fat lets them take a beating better anyway.

J

JRB

binary visions said:
Do you deny that the national obesity problem is a serious contributing factor to healthcare costs?

I mean, this should be self-evident. A) there are a lot of obese people. B) obese people have significant health problems. C) insurance companies pay for these health problems.

If A and B and C, then D) insurance companies spread the cost around to all of their insured customers.

It doesn't even matter if it's a vast majority. It's a large piece of the pie, therefore it should be dealt with. Tobacco should be dealt with as well - but do you shrug and give up on something just because you can't fix everything? What kind of an attitude is that?

I agree that it is a concern. I don't think it is the largest contributing factor, but that may change as I read more. I don't disagree that people should learn to lose weight, but I don't agree with criticizing and chastizing people for being fat. I don't ever know why they are fat, so I don't judge them.

J

JRB

Tenchiro said:
Everything in moderation. If you teach kids how to be responsible with their food intake, chances are they will follow the same patterns with alcohol and other vices.
I can agree with that.

J

JRB

Westy said:
You are right. Because kids can drink when they get older who cares how healthy they are. All the fat lets them take a beating better anyway.
This should really help me see some light in your arguments. :think:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
loco said:
I agree that it is a concern. I don't think it is the largest contributing factor, but that may change as I read more. I don't disagree that people should learn to lose weight, but I don't agree with criticizing and chastizing people for being fat. I don't ever know why they are fat, so I don't judge them.
they are fat because they are inactive and eat to much.

*disclaimer-in a few rare cases there are people with thyroid issues.

J

JRB

biggins said:
they are fat because they are inactive and eat to much.

*disclaimer-in a few rare cases there are people with thyroid issues.
Do you think that is incited at school as well??? I don't just blame parents. Having a 3 month old and not knowing at what age she'll start doing, I don't know how an infant or a toddler knows how to exercise.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
loco said:
Do you think that is incited at school as well??? I don't just blame parents. Having a 3 month old and not knowing at what age she'll start doing, I don't know how an infant or a toddler knows how to exercise.

it is very much a social epidemic that can be helped throught the school system. however i also remember in highschool when kids were to fat they were allowed to not participate in many of the physical activities that occuring. Again, make it easier for fat people to be fat. "awwwww, are you to fat to do that?Well you dont hav eto do it then"

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
biggins said:
The part I don't understand about "if a person is so fat that they have to have the seat set so far back so they can fit behind the wheel," is how do they still reach the pedals?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
loco said:
This should really help me see some light in your arguments. :think:
Let me summarize

Loco:Why do you care if people are fat?
Me: It causes a burden on society through health costs
Loco:There are other causes of increased health costs so why should people car about fatties?
Me: people care about those other causes and have past laws to mitigate those causes.
Loco: I still don't get it.
Me: I give up.