Quantcast

MBA against downhillers?

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Saw this posted up on MTBR.

Personally, I don't think we need any more segregation in our sport... Riveted head badge on my bike telling me where I'm allowed to ride it? :think:

Discuss.

Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Why would you even acknowledge that assclown magazine? They are by far the worst pseudo-journalism biased toilerpaper tabloid on the market. Black Diamond? For serious?

Cleek seemed to do a good job for them, but everything else they write is utter drivel.

I take back the toilet paper comment. I tried wiping my arse with MBA once, and even my poop didn't want anything to do with them.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Why would you even acknowledge that assclown magazine?
I usually don't. The fact remains that they're on more news stands than any other mountain bike mag out there...

I used to have co-workers that were interested in riding, and they used to bring up that mag all the time. They usually got offended when I rolled my eyes at the content.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I hear you cliff. Its everybody trying to further segregate this sport. Even on our local level with dh events being left out when there is a killer dh trail that is a stones throw away.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
A friend of mine always called it "Mountain Bike Fiction". That mag is for roadies who think mountain biking only takes place on fire roads.

They probably think that anything over 4" of travel and doesn't have your seat up high and jammed up your arse is a DH bike.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Why would you even acknowledge that assclown magazine?
Because that magazine is read (taken seriously) by an overwhelming portion of the mountain bike community that is casual, uninformed, or simply stupid. They exist in large numbers, and are the reason that magazine is still being printed. Perpetuating ideas that isolate one genre of riding isn't going to strengthen and progress the sport as a whole. Perpetuating them in the hands of the demographic that actually reads that magazine is simply dangerous, and is why it deserves aknowledgement despite it's obvious (to us) assclown status.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Whoever the writer is that wrote that piece needs to take his head out of his pretentious elitist arse. In short what he is saying, is that Downhill Mountain Biking should only take place on proper lift-accessed resorts and that a private group of trailbuilders cannot go build trails... Thats a real way of growing the sport. It further proves that MBA wants nothing to do with DH/FR and wants the sport to simply die off. They continue to try to come up with these rediculous standards that should be implemented within the sport.

Just because something is "labeled" to do a certain use, doesnt mean it will be used to do just that...

Mountain Bike Action, if you do not want to cover Downhill/Freeride/Slopestyle/etc... then just dont cover it. There is plenty of alternatives greater than your magazine for readers to go to.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I quit reading at the "IMBA has been silent on this" bs. It gets worse right?

Let's see......bootleg canyon, blackrock, post canyon, duthie hill, galbraith......all the now legal results of what were initially user built trails. I know there are more but that's just what i could come up with in less than one second.

Any magazine from socal playing high and mighty about riding trails not built by the landowner or manager is a fvcking joke.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
After one finds out what DH is all about MBA is one of first things a new rider discards......if it wasn't for it's parent company that rag would have bitten the dust a long time ago.

I agree, what bunch of Ass-Hats!

J

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Stupid magazine are they realy going to think they going to succeed by introducing this dumb idea?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
After one finds out what DH is all about MBA is one of first things a new rider discards......if it wasn't for it's parent company that rag would have bitten the dust a long time ago.

I agree, what bunch of Ass-Hats!

J
After one finds about any kind of serious riding. For trail and enduro Id choose singletrack over mba on any day. MBA is hands down the worst mtb magazine I know. I wouldnt be suprised if they didnt ride bikes at all.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
this carries about as much weight as catholic priests raising a call to arms to stop pedophilia
Agreed. For us anyway...

Where it could carry weight is in the fight for more trails, and in the courtroom. To people who don't know any better, it's the most readily available MTB mag on the news stands, and it says right there, that downhill bikes don't belong on singletrack cause the COULD go off trail... Reputable or not, Ron Ambulance Chaser can present it to Joe Gabel Banger as evidence in the advocacy battle...

That's why it irritates me. :rant:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
The Enquirer is on a lot of stands too. Doesn't make it a good magazine. I can see your point though, in that the great massed just don't get that 90% of whats printed in that mag is blubbering gibberish.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Just sent this to ASK MBA:

Heres a question for you.

How can you possibly print the crap in your latest issue, in particular the Trends article about DH bikes having "for Racecourse only" labels, without a hint of shame or humor? Reading that article astounds me, considering you are supposed to be a printed representation of riders as a WHOLE.

I have news for you. All riders are guilty of trail rule transgressions, including holier-than-thou XC riders. I have watched XC racers on multi-use trails running trains that refuse to stop for hikers, dog walkers or even other riders, lest their all-important heart rates should slow down a beat or two. I have seen many illegal XC trails built, far more than the number of "dh" trails. I have seen riders of all types be rude, discourteous and outright ignorant of others, no matter what they were doing. For you to pretty much single out Downhillers in your article not only shows a complete lack of respect for a growing segment of the sport, but also an unfounded bias. For a magazine thats supposedly an expert on the sport (although many, many of your articles argue that position), your article is completely off base and inappropriate.

I am not a downhiller full time. I love trail riding. I also love road bikes. And yes, I do ride a DH bike (although not terribly well, if it must be said) but I find your article insulting and completely wrong.

Maybe in between kissing the asses of Specialized and Santa Cruz, and perhaps after your latest gibberish article about how 29ers are the second coming, you can print what you owe DH riders.

An apology.
--

: : JEFF MONK : :
: : DROPMACHINE.COM : :

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
I tell ya what! Those trainer riding, bike testing, wedgie picking, booger eating, lint licking, 29er loving, hill climbing, hot dog chewing, journal yellowing, sons a bitshes wrote an article some time ago about the reason they still cover downhill products. They said that since that technology trickled down into the xc market, it was necessary to review it. Now they are writing an article bashing dh, even though it will still appear in their magazine? I say post pictures of a guy hiding a decline magazine behind an MBA issue, kinda like kids do with comic books behind text books.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
In the mid to late nineties Cunningham and a few others from MBA went up to interview some WTB guys. Weir had just started working there and nobody else was available to take them riding so they sent them out with Mark. All he had was his Karpiel and he managed to put the hurt on them so bad up and down the Marin trail system that those guys refused to ride with him again! Maybe that is why they hate DH.... true story good friend was the warehouse manager at the time.

AHHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Last edited:

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
i'm so sick of hearing about this kind of sh*t...whitey bans bikes on trails in all parks in the county i live in and he paved almost every square inch of the rest of it. and what he hasn't paved he built grocery stores, giant houses, and gymborees for his annoying children. now he wants to tell me i can't ride a bike on what's left. fu*k that. there's a group around here that tries to work with him and on a trial basis he decided to let us ride bikes in a "park" that's basically a garbage dump that we've ridden in forever anyways. it's not worth dealing with him...just ride right over him, his dogs (that sh*t all over), and his children...it's so rewarding!!!

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
tryon! yea we cleaned all the garbage and fixed all the trails but the hikers with their unleashed dog, who never give one hour of their free time to help out make all the rules

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Who cares? If that rag mattered we would call free riding black diamond riding and discuss part weighs in pounds. I only read threads like this to remind myself why I never read that crap.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
i'm so sick of hearing about this kind of sh*t...whitey bans bikes on trails in all parks in the county i live in and he paved almost every square inch of the rest of it. and what he hasn't paved he built grocery stores, giant houses, and gymborees for his annoying children. now he wants to tell me i can't ride a bike on what's left. fu*k that. there's a group around here that tries to work with him and on a trial basis he decided to let us ride bikes in a "park" that's basically a garbage dump that we've ridden in forever anyways. it's not worth dealing with him...just ride right over him, his dogs (that sh*t all over), and his children...it's so rewarding!!!
Fvck Whitey!!!!!

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I always flick through the mag in the news stands. Nothing funnier than guys on DH bikes with XC race shoes doing aggressive bar-turns.

One-Ghost

Chimp
Sep 10, 2006
Portland, Oregon
Saw this posted up on MTBR.

Personally, I don't think we need any more segregation in our sport... Riveted head badge on my bike telling me where I'm allowed to ride it? :think:

Discuss.
II don't mind too much and I also take everything printed in that magazine with a 6 pack of imperial IPA as they didn't mention One Ghost Industries in there gravity guide yet again despite the fact I have Known RC, and Jimmy Mac, and John Kerr for years.

One-Ghost

Chimp
Sep 10, 2006
Portland, Oregon
Just sent this to ASK MBA:

Heres a question for you.

How can you possibly print the crap in your latest issue, in particular the Trends article about DH bikes having "for Racecourse only" labels, without a hint of shame or humor? Reading that article astounds me, considering you are supposed to be a printed representation of riders as a WHOLE.

I have news for you. All riders are guilty of trail rule transgressions, including holier-than-thou XC riders. I have watched XC racers on multi-use trails running trains that refuse to stop for hikers, dog walkers or even other riders, lest their all-important heart rates should slow down a beat or two. I have seen many illegal XC trails built, far more than the number of "dh" trails. I have seen riders of all types be rude, discourteous and outright ignorant of others, no matter what they were doing. For you to pretty much single out Downhillers in your article not only shows a complete lack of respect for a growing segment of the sport, but also an unfounded bias. For a magazine thats supposedly an expert on the sport (although many, many of your articles argue that position), your article is completely off base and inappropriate.

I am not a downhiller full time. I love trail riding. I also love road bikes. And yes, I do ride a DH bike (although not terribly well, if it must be said) but I find your article insulting and completely wrong.

Maybe in between kissing the asses of Specialized and Santa Cruz, and perhaps after your latest gibberish article about how 29ers are the second coming, you can print what you owe DH riders.

An apology.
--

: : JEFF MONK : :
: : DROPMACHINE.COM : :

Proper respect given Jeff!
Word!

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
II don't mind too much and I also take everything printed in that magazine with a 6 pack of imperial IPA as they didn't mention One Ghost Industries in there gravity guide yet again despite the fact I have Known RC, and Jimmy Mac, and John Kerr for years.
Put in bigger ads. It will maybe help your reviews too. :D

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
the interesting thing that they fail to realize... without downhillers, most of the suspension on their precious XC bikes wouldn't exist... actually most of the components and suspension systems wouldn't exist. downhilling tends to be the F1 of cycling and the technology trickles down to other aspects of the sport of cycling.

I haven't read mtn bike fiction in ages, it's always completely off base and full of sh!t. Since moving to CA, I thought for sure I would get flak for riding in the areas I have been. But to be honest, stopping, slowing down to a crawl, saying hello or stopping to talk to people (hikers) has been huge and everyone always tells me how us on "big bikes" are always really courteous. I don't like MBA's agenda and unfortunately they are the ones influencing the masses. anyone care to form a group against them? haha

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Friends ride 6-7 inch travel bikes that weigh under 35lbs. They can pedal anywhere and they also shuttle.

MBA - STFU.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Build anything with 29" wheels and advertise it in their mag and they will love you! :thumb:
From time to time I buy MBA just to remind myself how bad they are these days. :weee: Just looking at the audience they are writing for: I assume these are the same middle-aged, slightly overweight people that send in pics of them standing in front of some scenic backdrop with a Specialized bike leaned against a sign behind them. If you consider this you know why the mag looks as it looks.

BTW: RC is not working for them anymore. They never explained why.