Quantcast

MBC builds a wheel

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MtnBikerChk has been wanting to learn how to build wheels, so she bought me a Mavic EX721 rim with Hope Pro 2 hub for Hanukkahmas. Quo Fan leant her some wheel building knowledge, and all it cost us was pizza and beer.

They get started.

Olympia made sure I stayed out of their way.

MBC tensioning spokes.

SUCCESS! My present is ready!

Hope hub.

:monkeydance:

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Nice! I have a set of Pro IIs waiting to be lace to 823 right after the Holidays. And these will only be my second set of wheels that I've built.

toby

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
enjoy that wheel; i know i do aside from the sh*t i got from you guys about its noise during fall monkeyfest. mbc, solid job! i don't think i have the balls to build a wheel (too many bits to screw up and not enough funds to rectify any misteps). iab, you are a luck man.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
She was a super student. Very careful, and asked questions. She took just under 2 hours from start to finish to build the wheel. I feel the rear is a slightly more difficult build because of the dishing issue. When she decides to build the front wheel, it should be a walk in the park.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's awesome. There is something cool about riding wheels you build yourself (or that your lady builds for you).

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Awesome!!! 2 Hours - that ain't bad!!!

When are you going to teach others MBC? I'd love to learn. :)

I can pay you for instructions with beer - any dark beer of your choosing. :)

Cheers,

MMcG

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
wasn't funny the first time..... not funny this time.
I think my sarcasm was severely misinterpreted here. I was completely kidding, and just poking fun at IAB.

I am anything but a woman basher and really was just having some toilet humor fun.

Again - it's bad ass that you did that, and I apologize. I thought I even repped you. If not, I meant to.

Sorry, one last time. :redface:

I think my sarcasm was severely misinterpreted here. I was completely kidding, and just poking fun at IAB.

I am anything but a woman basher and really was just having some toilet humor fun.

Again - it's bad ass that you did that, and I apologize. I thought I even repped you. If not, I meant to.

Sorry, one last time. :redface:

Thanks - it's appreciated.

Now why can't you be like this all the time? :twitch:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
How many black candles did you have to light? How much chicken blood did it take. Wheel building is black magic I tells ya! Black magic of the darkest kind.

Grats on the build. I'd like to learn the black arts myself someday.

I love that everyone is so "impressed" but I gotta say that it really wasn't that hard. I mean yeah, you have to have a little patience when tensioning and truing but it wasn't that bad.

Maybe it's because I already have a knack for taking things apart and sometimes I even put them back together!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

splat

Nam I am
Its not that Hard , you just have to follow the steps and not take short cuts as tempting as they may be.

now the real test will be how does she do on her own. I'm sure she will be fine.

o and if the spokes make a Racket the first time Phil rides it that is "OK" at least for a Minute or 2 .