Quantcast

MBCs project of the week - or, how to change a faucet in 3 hours or less

Sorry no pics this time - IAB was busy putting up a new towel rack and toilet paper holder in the upstairs bathroom while I was in the kitchen changing the faucet.

No real snags to report - other than the nice long supply lines that came with the faucet were about 3 inches too short. So after a trip to the depot, we were back in business.

I'm thinking the next project I might tackle will be the sink AND faucet in my kitchen.

What do I have to know about replacing the sink? We have this horrible white porcelain sink that is difficult to keep clean. I'd love to put in a stainless steel one along with the new faucet :)

We have a garbage disposal.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
MtnBikerChk said:
What do I have to know about replacing the sink? We have this horrible white porcelain sink that is difficult to keep clean. I'd love to put in a stainless steel one along with the new faucet :)
Our SS one is a bitch to keep clean - it looks good for exactly the amount of time that is stays freshly cleaned. First use - it looks like ass. Not sure if there's anything better out there?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Removing the old sink may be difficult if it's set under the tile. If it's a surface mount then no prob. If it's under the tile you'll need to carefully cut it out of the tile, then install a sink slightly larger to fit in the new opening. If this is the case make sure you have the room (width & depth) to accommodate a larger sink.

Brian HCM#1 said:
Removing the old sink may be difficult if it's set under the tile. If it's a surface mount then no prob. If it's under the tile you'll need to carefully cut it out of the tile, then install a sink slightly larger to fit in the new opening. If this is the case make sure you have the room (width & depth) to accommodate a larger sink.
no tile - just cheap, crappy counter top - so I'm thinking it's gonna be easy :) WOO HOO!

SO what material for a sink isn't too $$ but easy to keep clean?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
MtnBikerChk said:
no tile - just cheap, crappy counter top - so I'm thinking it's gonna be easy :) WOO HOO!

SO what material for a sink isn't too $$ but easy to keep clean?
Go with another white sink, get a Kohler surface mount sink in white(if that matches your kitchen). If maintained it will stay nice for many years.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MBC, in our original kitchen we replaced the original sink. it was a top-mount porcelain sink and the counter was formica. it was fairly easy, but my father-in-law helped w/ the drain connections and disposal. we also needed to slightly trim the sink opening, but that wasn't a big deal.

we went w/ a stainless sink, which was also top mount but much lower profile, so it was far easier to keep the counter/sink interface clean. plus, it was fairly inexpensive.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
SilentJ said:
That was this past weekend. Paper towel rack is for next weekend. Keep up, man! :)
Actually, MBC failed to mention that the work in her first post was all done at her mom's house, so I suppose I could install a toilet paper rack in our bathroom this weekend. :)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MtnBikerChk said:
what's difficult about the drain/disposal that required the big guns?
nothing, just the voice of experience. all you needed (iirc) was the cement to set the drain into the sink. it was pretty simple. he was just around to help.

splat

Nam I am
I Are Baboon said:
Actually, MBC failed to mention that the work in her first post was all done at her mom's house, so I suppose I could install a toilet paper rack in our bathroom this weekend. :)
Like this one ??? I keep threatening the wife I'm going to get one of these. I wonder if you can get it with a King Head set ?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
a couple of wrenches @ the cycle loft gave me that for a christmas present a few years ago...it's hanging proudly in our downstairs sh!tter.