Quantcast

MBW recap

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Had an awesome weekend... Jim Thorpe rocks!

Got down there Friday about 1ish and got in an afternoon ride... did the ridge trail to the option/bypass/surprise (I have no idea what the actual names of most of these trails are). Consisted of 1ish mile of fire road, a 1ish mile road climb, 2ish miles of good rock gardens (thank god for suspension), a little hardpack singletrack, then a gnarly rocky downhill.

Saturday morning we hit the Tomaqua race course - about 8 miles of awesome flowing singletrack with some pretty aggressive/technical rocky sections towards the end. The single track was smooth and fast in places, and tight rolly in others. A few good rollercoasters and a couple of bridges thrown in for good measure. A must hit trail if you're down that way.

Saturday afternoon we did the ridge trail again, but this time skipped the option/bypass/surprise trail and continued on the ridge trail all the over to the power lines. The powerlines gave us a nice rocky, VERY loose downhill (you didn't really ride down it, you kinda surfed down it as they rocks moved with you the whole way down). Sketchy, but fun. Then we hit some more smooth fast hardpack to a short road ride back down to the main road. From there, we decided to take the switch back trail back to camp. Well, to get to the switchback trail, we had to do a 1mile road climb up to summit hill - that was a bruiser. Took the switchback trail back to camp and ended with a short but nice downhill section.

Sunday morning we did the rim trail which starts behind the cemetray at summit hill. This trail was freaking awesome. Rocky and technical as hell... it beat the crap out of me and my bike, but it kicked ass! Easily the most aggressive trail we hit all weekend - much more technical than the rocky stuff at Tomaqua.

All in all, did a good amount of riding... I pushed myself a lot and was surprised how well I responded. Only took one good header (the rim trail sunday morning), and I don't think I broke anything all weekend.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
hmmm MBW.. where would I start???
well setting up the tent in the rain suks but luckily that was the only rain for the weekend.
Friday went for a group ride, i have no clue where i was but it was fun!!!!!! The leader brought us to various areas and apparently he was into the ride too. Originally he said we would ride for about 2 1/2 hrs, which I thought would be perfect to get my feet wet and then I could go for an afternoon ride. well needless to say we didnt get back until just after 1. it turned out being 4 hrs of riding on very rocky terrain, with plenty of climbing to make you sore.

Sat I hooked up with the monkeys to go to Tamaqua. that place is awesome!!!!!! Like Jackson said it just flows, it makes you want to ride forever with enough techinical stuff to keep you aware. Im already looking forward to getting back there in the near future to ride it again!!!!!!Thanks Monkeys for showing me that place!!!!!!

Sunday was an easy day.. just a small ride to a huge breakfast, lots of eating and then wussing out on going for another ride (what a jerk I am).

all in all though, awesome weekend and lots of great people and fun.. cant ask for more!!!!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
hooples3 said:
well setting up the tent in the rain suks but luckily that was the only rain for the weekend.
was that thursday night? The weather was perfect while I was there... probably low 70s with a little sun every now and again. No rain at all.

hooples3 said:
Sunday was an easy day.. just a small ride to a huge breakfast, lots of eating and then wussing out on going for another ride (what a jerk I am).
wuss. ;)

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
jacksonpt said:
was that thursday night? The weather was perfect while I was there... probably low 70s with a little sun every now and again. No rain at all.

wuss. ;)
yeah thursday around 3ish.. it would pour down hard for 10 minutes, taper off then it would be sunny for a half-hour. this happened like 3-4 times.. finally it just stopped until the nighttime

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
hooples3 said:
yeah thursday around 3ish.. it would pour down hard for 10 minutes, taper off then it would be sunny for a half-hour. this happened like 3-4 times.. finally it just stopped until the nighttime
Ha, it's funny looking back you were probably thinking that you should have pitched your tent somewhere else due to the farting bear sleeping next door.... :)

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
yeah your telling me !!!!!!! after some late night "so-duh" I came back to my tent and the bear was up to his tricks again.... I came very close to dragging my tent across the field to get away.. but my luck Id still here him

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I had a really good dream last night... It was about speedies!!! yummie!!!!! :love:

Then i realized it was a nightmare... i have nowhere to get them :eek:

brews

Chimp
Jun 19, 2005
North Wales, Pa
I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the Saturday morning Tamaqua ride pics. I was the other SS guy with The Dude.

Had a great time riding with you fellas. Hope to do it again.

BussaFrame

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
Tamaqua was definately a great time. You monkeys keep up the riding and hopefully we can catch up again. Although the sat afternoon ride was out of control, big loose rocks definately made for an interesting ride down the hill.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
brews said:
I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the Saturday morning Tamaqua ride pics. I was the other SS guy with The Dude.

Had a great time riding with you fellas. Hope to do it again.
hey man... welcome to the :monkey:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
BussaFrame said:
Tamaqua was definately a great time. You monkeys keep up the riding and hopefully we can catch up again. Although the sat afternoon ride was out of control, big loose rocks definately made for an interesting ride down the hill.
That was definitely a cool section. A little sketchy (is that the understatement of the day or what???), but a lot of fun. It was cool to meet up with you guys for the rides.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
MMcG said:
tsk tsk tsk Echo - where's that helmet? ;)
Doh! Busted :D

We were just riding around the camp area and I saw that thing and decided to hit it. It was wide as heck, if I had stacked on something that easy I would have deserved any injury :p

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
TreeSaw said:
LOL!!! That's what I was thinking. I grabbed a little too much brake and was sliding down on my arse before I knew it :D
I didn't grab enough brake and drove my front wheel into a non-surfing rock. Had to do a stylish superman-ish dismount.

BussaFrame

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
jacksonpt said:
I didn't grab enough brake and drove my front wheel into a non-surfing rock. Had to do a stylish superman-ish dismount.
I'm with Jackson on the superman dismounts.