Quantcast

McCain + Condi as VP

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Hmm.. How about that? Could be teh Obama killer IMO... Presses alot of the right buttons for a lot of the Republican voters, most notably the religious and pro-war neo-con lovin' nutjobs.

Discuss.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
A lot of people may be ambivalent in this election, just happy that the current administration is gone.

Bringing anyone from the current administration into the race will likely cause a stronger reaction amongst their opposition. Don't forget how great the overall approval rating has been.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
No way. An unmarried black woman with no children that has people wondering if she's a lesbian?

That will go over well with the right wing Christian nuts who couldn't overlook Romney's Mormonism...

I'd love it if I was the Democrat nominee...just keep replying that testimony of her repeating the answer to the question about that pre 9/11 memo.

Convince Colin Powell, and you may have a winner...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
What about that she is a regular church-goer, and that she has a massive appeal to the 20ish% of people who still support Bush policy?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Condi has the highest approval rating of the current crop, always has.

She's been as high as 70% approval in some polls and even now is actually 50/50 (46%/46% approval/disapproval) in the latest polls.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I think the good General has learned his lesson. I doubt there is a truck full 'o money large enough.
Powell's already an advisor to McCain, so it's possible.

It won't happen as he's against unnecessary war. Since he quit the Bush Admin over Iraq, I doubt he'd join McCain knowing it's the same problem.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Condi has the highest approval rating of the current crop, always has.

She's been as high as 70% approval in some polls and even now is actually 50/50 (46%/46% approval/disapproval) in the latest polls.
How many people really know what she does? Other than be Bush's token black person

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Age comes into play with McCain and his choice. If he won, he would be 72 come Inauguration Day, so a younger choice is very necessary. That eliminates Powell right off the bat, who would be 70.

Condi just doesn't bring much to the table voter wise.

I'd think Charlie Crist, Florida governor make more sense. Crist ran away with the governor election in Florida, a state that McCain needs to win. Especially with Ohio looking to be a potential loss for the GOP. Crist pretty much secured Florida for McCain in the primaries.

Another choice would be Haley Barbour. He would help his standing with the conservative right.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I've no doubt she's a smart cookie, but she's if she's still as spineless and star-struck as she was in 00/01, she'll get eaten alive in a campaign.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't think it would fly because with Condi as VP, if McCain kicks the bucket mid-term, the country is run by a black woman.

I think she's a woman, right?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I've no doubt she's a smart cookie, but she's if she's still as spineless and star-struck as she was in 00/01, she'll get eaten alive in a campaign.
you don't want to see her inner round-the-way chick. she'll be leaving fake nails in haters' grills

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I don't think it would fly because with Condi as VP, if McCain kicks the bucket mid-term, the country is run by a black woman.
As opposed to a black guy who gives nice speeches but hasn't done much of anything else?

Fvcked no matter who wins.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
As opposed to a black guy who gives nice speeches but hasn't done much of anything else?

Fvcked no matter who wins.
not defending obama, but our system is made such that any person who qualifies (35, citizen, has not served > 1 term, born to a white woman, etc.) & is properly elected should be able to execute the position adequately. just b/c i disagree w/ obama 90% of the time, i don't equate conservatism to being habanero-dry-rub mule-raped.

of course, i reserve the right to bitch about it in 11 months.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Mmm... i likey!!!

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2008/03/17/080317taco_talk_hertzberg

Let’s get down and dirty. If McCain really wants to have it all—to refurbish his maverick image without having to flip-flop on the panderings that have tarnished it; to galvanize the attention of the press, the nation, and the world; to make a bold play for the center without seriously alienating “the base”—then he can avail himself of a highly interesting option: Condoleezza Rice.

To deal first with the obvious: Rice may be “only” the second woman and the second African-American to be Secretary of State, but she is indisputably the highest-ranking black female official ever to have served in any branch of the United States government. Her nomination to a constitutional executive office would cost McCain the votes of his party’s hardened racists and incorrigible misogynists. They are surely fewer in number, though, than the people who would like to participate in breaking the glass ceiling of race or gender but, given the choice, would rather do so in a more timid way, and/or without abandoning their party. And with Rice on the ticket the Republicans could attack Clinton or Obama with far less restraint.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Racists annoy me. Yesterday I had a friend's girlfriend repeatedly make racists comments in my direction. After each inappropriate comment, she then pledged that she's not racist. Umm, yeah, STFU.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I'd think Charlie Crist, Florida governor make more sense. Crist ran away with the governor election in Florida, a state that McCain needs to win. Especially with Ohio looking to be a potential loss for the GOP. Crist pretty much secured Florida for McCain in the primaries.
I think that that would be blatant political pandering, would look awful, and would probably work incredibly well. After his "every vote in FL should count" bullsh!t about the democratic primary I can't stand him, but then again I wasn't planning on voting for McCain anyway (unless Hildog steals the nomination somehow). The only issue here would be it could kill McCain's "change" mantra, as it's remarkably similar to Rovian tactics used by the current administration.