Quantcast

McCain for Nuclear Power: Good or Bad?

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
damn i was gonna respond with a comment about it being the government's responsibility to dump money into nation building abroad.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
damn i was gonna respond with a comment about it being the government's responsibility to dump money into nation building abroad.
Mm.. even more yummy when there is oil... lots and lots of oil involved and bonus points for it also bordering on one of the most confrontational countries in the region placing it well within invasion distance.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Mm.. even more yummy when there is oil... lots and lots of oil involved and bonus points for it also bordering on one of the most confrontational countries in the region placing it well within invasion distance.
But we will NEVER get 3T worth of oil out of Iraq, even at todays prices. Not to mention we won't have the troops or the vehicles to even cross the boarder into Iran if/when we finish whatever the hell it is that we are doing in Iraq in the first place.

Iraq = slow boat to failure.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
government's responsibility is not to dump money into renewable energy, that's the free market place's job. Dumping money into Iraq either will or wont pay-off in the long run, but that remains to be seen. Bottom line is that we are there and need to be for the time being.
Why is it that anything conservatives think is a good idea, it is ok for the gov't to spend plenty of money, but anything they think it is a bad idea, then "it is the free market's job"?

Why not give subsidies to solar power? Reduce gasoline taxes on biodiesel? Or raise taxes on gas-guzzlers?

I know we are going to be Iraq for many years. But let's try to get out of one quagmire before it pulls our entire energy plan into the pit?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
But we will NEVER get 3T worth of oil out of Iraq, even at todays prices. Not to mention we won't have the troops or the vehicles to even cross the boarder into Iran if/when we finish whatever the hell it is that we are doing in Iraq in the first place.

Iraq = slow boat to failure.
having a huge military presence of combat veterns in the SW Asia = Priceless!!!

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
Why is it that anything conservatives think is a good idea, it is ok for the gov't to spend plenty of money, but anything they think it is a bad idea, then "it is the free market's job"?

Why not give subsidies to solar power? Reduce gasoline taxes on biodiesel? Or raise taxes on gas-guzzlers?

I know we are going to be Iraq for many years. But let's try to get out of one quagmire before it pulls our entire energy plan into the pit?
Sanj, your hitting on the great paradox of neo conservatism...

They are all about small government, then they take away Constitutional rights, expand the power of the executive branch, and spend all they money they DONT have (cuz they cut taxes ya know) on wars (drugs, terror, same **** different name).

In the end you get what is effectively an authoritarian big government that runs on the platform of small government.

makes no sense

EDIT: now don't get me wrong, I'm conservative too, and there are plenty of Republicans that don't buy into the bs, but all of this crap kind of damages true conservatism. Like a step forward and two back.

Last edited:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

well, the gov has been dumping money into alternative energy for years and what do we have to show?

It will take the free market (demand) to bring it to the main stream.. without demand, no amount of gov $'s is going to advance anything

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
Yes and the fact that McCain had the nerve to play the "I was in the military so I by default make good decisions about it and you don't." card pissed me off.

That attitude pretty much embodies his authoritarian ideals as well as takes a massive dump on democracy.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Yes and the fact that McCain had the nerve to play the "I was in the military so I by default make good decisions about it and you don't." card pissed me off.

That attitude pretty much embodies his authoritarian ideals as well as takes a massive dump on democracy.
dont fret, obama will just wave his magic 'wand' over you and all will be ok.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
yeah thats the situation
I'm so glad you are finally paying attention.

Injured troops shipped back into battle

Salon has uncovered further evidence that the military sent soldiers with acute post-traumatic stress disorder, severe back injuries and other serious war wounds back to Iraq.

On March 9, Army Spc. Thomas Smith was ordered to board a plane from Fort Benning, Ga., to deploy back to Iraq, even though he was known to be suffering from chronic post-traumatic stress disorder from a previous tour there. Only weeks prior, military doctors determined that Smith should not be allowed around weapons because of his PTSD symptoms, which included bouts of sudden, extreme anger.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Edit:
And also, the reality of the situation is that people at large will only cut back on usage when it becomes cost prohibitive to maintain the status quo. If a company sees that it can save a bunch of money by cutting back usage, it may indeed do that, but the savings will be applied to expand the business elsewhere, so just as much energy is going to be used no matter what.
you've nailed the concept of my (prescient? :D) $20/gal gas thread with this statement.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
government's responsibility is not to dump money into renewable energy, that's the free market place's job.
Why didn't we let the free market decide whether or not we should invade iraq or invent a technology to cure terrorism?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
well, the gov has been dumping money into alternative energy for years and what do we have to show?

It will take the free market (demand) to bring it to the main stream.. without demand, no amount of gov $'s is going to advance anything
Jesus christ, being a self-proclaimed libertarian sure doesn't make you an economist or a technologist.

First, the government has been trickling money into alternative energy, and there is a shocking amount to show for it. Wind and solar efficiencies have increased by magnitudes. Fuel cell technologies are becoming viable. Tidal is becoming a possibility. Geothermal can be more broadly applied. It is government and academia's job to develop critical technologies to the stage where they are technically viable and present a reasonable opportunity of profitability, then let industry take over. The mistake we usually make is to subsidize technologies into market viability (see ethanol) which ****s up market forces, but that comes chronologically after the role they absolutely should be playing and are playing right now, albeit not enough.

Government's role is ALSO to prevent monopolistic practices that prevent ne market entrants (alternatives) which is exactly what they have not done with oil.

Finally, governments role is to make sure market prices reflect true prices to society of a good, through appropriate taxation, i.e. if coal requires ripping the tops off of mountains and polluting waterways that extend far beyond the property rights owned by power companies and impacting whole wildlife ecosystems that "belong" to all americans, the cost of that should be reflected either through heavy land-use costs, taxes on the resultant good, or penalties for the violations.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
you need to put down your bong and come up for air...

Americans are an innovative folk and if they want to buy and drive 6000 lbs suv's then someone will come up with a way to make them more efficient. It's already starting to happen. So basically, you bitter, tiny brained, liberal types are just gonna have to continue living on a diet of hate for those who dont give a crap about your environmental stoner fantasies. Because they are just that; fantasies.

the rest of us in the meantime will continue to make progress and enjoy the lifestyle that it brings us.
IP ban.

NOW.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Finally, governments role is to make sure market prices reflect true prices to society of a good, through appropriate taxation, i.e. if coal requires ripping the tops off of mountains and polluting waterways that extend far beyond the property rights owned by power companies and impacting whole wildlife ecosystems that "belong" to all americans, the cost of that should be reflected either through heavy land-use costs, taxes on the resultant good, or penalties for the violations.
You really think you can explain externalities to that abortion?

If you manage to do that, you should probably lay your hands on the next handicapped person you come across...I bet they'd get right up out of the wheelchair and walk.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Jesus christ, being a self-proclaimed libertarian sure doesn't make you an economist or a technologist.

First, the government has been trickling money into alternative energy, and there is a shocking amount to show for it. Wind and solar efficiencies have increased by magnitudes. Fuel cell technologies are becoming viable. Tidal is becoming a possibility. Geothermal can be more broadly applied. It is government and academia's job to develop critical technologies to the stage where they are technically viable and present a reasonable opportunity of profitability, then let industry take over. The mistake we usually make is to subsidize technologies into market viability (see ethanol) which ****s up market forces, but that comes chronologically after the role they absolutely should be playing and are playing right now, albeit not enough.

Government's role is ALSO to prevent monopolistic practices that prevent ne market entrants (alternatives) which is exactly what they have not done with oil.

your self-righteousness makes me giggle

:)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Sanj, your hitting on the great paradox of neo conservatism...

They are all about small government, then they take away Constitutional rights, expand the power of the executive branch, and spend all they money they DONT have (cuz they cut taxes ya know) on wars (drugs, terror, same **** different name).

In the end you get what is effectively an authoritarian big government that runs on the platform of small government.

makes no sense

EDIT: now don't get me wrong, I'm conservative too, and there are plenty of Republicans that don't buy into the bs, but all of this crap kind of damages true conservatism. Like a step forward and two back.
While I disagree with most conservative ideas, I dislike hypocrisy. I think big government does have some problems, but if you are to spend money on "security" then none on "education" or other social issues, that's bad.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
since the time of the ancient Egyptians there's nothing like a good military campaign to make a few bucks.
So the few bucks made by industries raping the American taxpayer is well worth the death and dismemberment of our military in the end.

Awesome. I feel safer already.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Americans are an innovative folk and if they want to buy and drive 6000 lbs suv's then someone will come up with a way to make them more efficient. It's already starting to happen.
being efficient is generally using only what you need to get something done, no excess. so please tell me what is so ****ing efficient about hauling your little lap dog to the vet in an escalade when it gets a splinter in its paw...

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
your self-righteousness makes me giggle

:)
Glad I could help.

First line is self-righteousness. Everything else is an honest effort to get you to think before you type. I think I liked cut-and-paste Neight better.

Faith in the free market without understanding it is just wishful thinking that makes it harder for the rest of us to get anything actually productive or useful done. Like a furious creationist railing against science on his box-o'-quantum computer, you remain blissfully unaware that the goods (e.g. airplanes) you benefit from and that generate billions in economic growth wouldn't exist had they not been kickstarted by government "subsidies." That you can at the same time argue for nuclear power and against government involvement in technology development makes my brain hurt.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

Dumping money?

Here is a simple graph about money spent on alternative fuel sources vs our expenditure in Iraq: