Quantcast

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Why should there be only two choices? Bad or worse... sounds great to me.

This is America™! Why can't we have the freedom to hear about ALL the candiates? Why do we listen to the media who tell us these are our only choices?

:disgust1: bunch of carp if you ask me.

Yours in disgust,
RenegadeRick

campaign spending limits will make that idea possible. Until then the 2 richest will be the only two with real shots...D

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
campaign spending limits will make that idea possible. Until then the 2 richest will be the only two with real shots...D
Wanna hear something really crazy? Money should have nothing to do with it.

But even I know that with the media being the ultimate beneficiary of said :greedy: this isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

Well... off to ride my bike! Best thing I could do. :happydance:

The rest of you kids stay here and worry about who looks like who and whether or not your politics make a difference.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
:stupid:

There is a good chance that this will backfire on him. McCain's main attack is that Obama lacks experience, yet McCain picks a running mate with even less experience. Her only qualification is that she lacks a penis. An obvious ploy to try to win over Hilary's supporters
She's a great choice actually. She has more real leadership experience than Obama, she's a straight-shooter (literally and figuratively), she isn't tainted by all of the Washington politics (who could be "more of the same" than 25-year career politician Joe Biden??), and she isn't afraid to stand for what's right - even if it's not good for her politically.

Until now I thought Obama's smooth rhetoric would get him enough naive college kids, ex-hippies and hello-kitty American Idol fans to win, but I foresee his "Rhetoricpooluza" world tour slowly derailing.

What a relief. Will be nice to finally be rid of both Obama and Bush.

Not that Bush has really had much impact on anything (if anyone wants to point fingers it needs to be at Congress), but that fake smile all the time is hard to take.

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
She has more real leadership experience than Obama...
:crazy:

by that rational she has more "real leadership experience" than McCain, who's only been in the House and Senate.

edit: so, as a serious question, are you *really* happy about this choice? as a democrat I'm absolutely THRILLED by this choice. the 3 vp choices that would've really scared me would have been:

1) Romney - I still think this was McCain's choice till the "how many houses do you own" flub. He was a popular governor of a blue state, has accomplished a ton including a version of universal child healthcare, and would have given McCain total street cred on the #1 issue on American's minds, the economy.
2) Crist - in one move, McCain could have moved FL from being a toss-up to a solidly red state without giving up anything. He's been visible in the past few months, and has decent nation-wide recognition.
3) Lieberman - This upcoming convention would have gone from trying to distance themselves from Bush's legacy, to "In these troubled times, we need to end gridlock in Washington. We need to work together, and I'm nominating someone from the other side of the aisle in a unity ticket so that we can move forward, etc."

Any of those would have been far worse to go up against than a far-right woman who's only real experience has been 18, oops, sorry, 20 months as governor of a sparsely populated state (in which she's already under an ethics investigation). With all of the pundits and talking points, any real idea on what ordinary republicans think of her is completely buried by the "OMFG she's awesome, she is the best person for the job, she's got leadership experience, blah bla blah..."

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
She's a great choice actually. She has more real leadership experience than Obama, she's a straight-shooter (literally and figuratively), she isn't tainted by all of the Washington politics (who could be "more of the same" than 25-year career politician Joe Biden??), and she isn't afraid to stand for what's right - even if it's not good for her politically.

Until now I thought Obama's smooth rhetoric would get him enough naive college kids, ex-hippies and hello-kitty American Idol fans to win, but I foresee his "Rhetoricpooluza" world tour slowly derailing.

Not that Bush has really had much impact on anything (if anyone wants to point fingers it needs to be at Congress), but that fake smile all the time is hard to take.

Wow, are you serious? VPOTUS candidates should be picked to complement a POTUS weaknesses...
McCain is weak in foreign affairs and budget, and her strengths are?? Looking good in a mini van and in a power suit? Please...

And if you want to talk fake smiles, how about a smile perfected after years of posing for pageant photo ops? The cute Barbie mayor of Wasilla is going to learn a rude lesson in national politicing...Obama and Biden may as well order stationery now...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
She's a staunch anti-abortionist, wants creationism taught in schools, is all for drilling the ANWR and wants the polar bear taken off the endangered species list because protecting them would hurt oil and gas interests.

She's John McCain's tarted up treat for the right wing base. Fvck that psycho bitch.

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
Why is that flip-flopping? You don't pick a teammate who is the same as you. You pick a teammate who has something to compliment your skills.
Paging the voice of reason, paging the voice of reason… the voice of reason we all know and trust, please come to the front desk…

using one’s current opposition (and historical opposition) on the conflict in Iraq as vital campaign strategy to gain popularity with the younger generations that be, and than hiring a veep who’s been an outspoken supporter of GW’s callous tactics with this conflict, is the essence of a flip-flop maneuver.

If Obama was true to his stated beliefs on this matter, it would be impossible for him to choose such a candidate. Hiring an aspirant who has, what would seem to be the opposite beliefs as you in regards to war mongering, is anything but a compliment to your potential as a credible leader. :disgust1:

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth

She spent the majority of her political career as mayor of 9,000 people. This makes her more qualified than Obama?

:huh:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I think she is a HORRIBLE choice. She has very little experience and is far to right wing. Mccain needs to secure moderate votes, not votes from the right, he is already going to get those. Putting forth a VP candidate that is, anti abortion, anti gay, for religion in schools, against the environment, and for big businesses is only going to make moderates vote for obama.

Come to think of it, I think she is a great choice, now it's going to be easier for obama to win, and now I won't have to have a true fear of what the president is going to do in my name.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Paging the voice of reason, paging the voice of reason… the voice of reason we all know and trust, please come to the front desk…
Aside from the fact that your definition of a flip-flop is incorrect (what you describe would be closer to hypocrisy - and in any event, I disagree), that wasn't even close to the post I commented on or the remark I made. The post I commented on made the statement that Obama was doing a flip-flop because he makes a point of saying he's not a career politician and then chose a career politician for his running mate. I just think that's a smart move - giving your platform a little more insight into a complex political system by choosing someone who has been there for a long time.

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
Aside from the fact that your definition of a flip-flop is incorrect (what you describe would be closer to hypocrisy - and in any event, I disagree)
It may be a bit out of context, but it's definitely a stock example of a political flip-flop.

Holding a firm stance (for what, 8 months?) on the ideology that you’re anti-war, pro-small government “power to the people”, against large corporate influence of Washington, blah-blah, etc., and than in the final months of your campaign when all your fans are perfectly brain washed, you go and hire a war mongering, credit card company endorsing, 40 year D.C. veteran freak show like Joe Biden… you’ve just performed a serious political flip-flop.

Face it, all the Obama fans are going to have to pretend like this veep is actually a wise and practical choice for Obama just to be able to self-justify their last 6 months of ill-informed, overly obsessive, irrational political hysteria.

Obama is a crook… he’s a wolf in a sheep suit… vote for him and help save america for sure.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
president of harvard law review vs. u idaho undergrad as below... sweet jeebus, i sincerely hope that people see this pandering for what it is.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
Your absolutely right. Let me apologize for thinking that representing the population of a state on the federal level would provide more experience in government than representing 9,000 on the state level.

:banghead:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Your absolutely right. Let me apologize for thinking that representing the population of a state on the federal level would provide more experience in government than representing 9,000 on the state level.

:banghead:
Ok....can you point to anything he has done in the senate?

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
Ok....can you point to anything he has done in the senate?
Bills Sponsored by Obama (random selection from a total of 113)

1. S.CON.RES.5 : A concurrent resolution honoring the life of Percy Lavon Julian, a pioneer in the field of organic chemistry and the first and only African-American chemist to be inducted into the National Academy of Sciences.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 1/31/2007) Cosponsors (5)
Committees: Senate Judiciary
Latest Major Action: 1/31/2007 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Referred to the Committee on the Judiciary.

2. S.CON.RES.25 : A concurrent resolution condemning the recent violent actions of the Government of Zimbabwe against peaceful opposition party activists and members of civil society.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 3/29/2007) Cosponsors (7)
Committees: Senate Foreign Relations
Latest Major Action: 6/26/2007 Held at the desk. [...]

8. S.J.RES.23 : A joint resolution clarifying that the use of force against Iran is not authorized by the Authorization for the Use of Military Force Against Iraq, any resolution previously adopted, or any other provision of law.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 11/1/2007) Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 11/1/2007 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Foreign Relations.

9. S.114 : A bill to authorize resources for a grant program for local educational agencies to create innovation districts.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 1/4/2007) Cosponsors (None)
Committees: Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
Latest Major Action: 1/4/2007 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions.

10. S.115 : A bill to suspend royalty relief, to repeal certain provisions of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, and to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to repeal certain tax incentives for the oil and gas industry.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 1/4/2007) Cosponsors (None)
Committees: Senate Finance
Latest Major Action: 1/4/2007 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Finance.

11. S.116 : A bill to authorize resources to provide students with opportunities for summer learning through summer learning grants.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 1/4/2007) Cosponsors (3)
Latest Major Action: 1/4/2007 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions. [...]

17. S.692 : A bill to amend title 38, United States Code, to establish a Hospital Quality Report Card Initiative to report on health care quality in Veterans Affairs hospitals.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 2/27/2007) Cosponsors (1)
Committees: Senate Veterans’ Affairs
Latest Major Action: 2/27/2007 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Veterans’ Affairs.

18. S.713 : A bill to ensure dignity in care for members of the Armed Forces recovering from injuries.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 2/28/2007) Cosponsors (34)
Committees: Senate Armed Services
Latest Major Action: 2/28/2007 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Armed Services.

19. S.737 : A bill to amend the Help America Vote Act of 2002 in order to measure, compare, and improve the quality of voter access to polls and voter services in the administration of Federal elections in the States.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 3/1/2007) Cosponsors (1)
Committees: Senate Rules and Administration
Latest Major Action: 3/1/2007 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Rules and Administration.

20. S.767 : A bill to increase fuel economy standards for automobiles and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 3/6/2007) Cosponsors (6)
Committees: Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation

Latest Major Action: 3/6/2007 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation. [...]

34. S.1324 : A bill to amend the Clean Air Act to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from transportation fuel sold in the United States.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 5/7/2007) Cosponsors (2)
Committees: Senate Environment and Public Works
Latest Major Action: 5/7/2007 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Environment and Public Works.

35. S.1389 : A bill to authorize the National Science Foundation to establish a Climate Change Education Program.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 5/14/2007) Cosponsors (3)
Latest Major Action: 5/14/2007 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions.

36. S.1430 : A bill to authorize State and local governments to direct divestiture from, and prevent investment in, companies with investments of $20,000,000 or more in Iran’s energy sector, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 5/17/2007) Cosponsors (26)
Committees: Senate Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
Latest Major Action: 5/17/2007 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs.

37. S.1513 : A bill to amend the Higher Education Act of 1965 to authorize grant programs to enhance the access of low-income African-American students to higher education.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 5/24/2007) Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 5/24/2007 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions [...]

76. S.AMDT.905 to S.761 To require the Director of Mathematics, Science, and Engineering Education to establish a program to recruit and provide mentors for women and underrepresented minorities who are interested in careers in mathematics, science, and engineering.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 4/23/2007) Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 4/25/2007 Senate amendment agreed to. Status: Amendment SA 905 as modified agreed to in Senate by Unanimous Consent.

77. S.AMDT.907 to S.761 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 4/23/2007) Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 4/23/2007 Senate amendment submitted

78. S.AMDT.923 to S.761 To expand the pipeline of individuals entering the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics fields to support United States innovation and competitiveness.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 4/24/2007) Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 4/25/2007 Senate amendment agreed to. Status: Amendment SA 923 as modified agreed to in Senate by Unanimous Consent.

79. S.AMDT.924 to S.761 To establish summer term education programs.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 4/24/2007) Cosponsors (1)
Latest Major Action: 4/25/2007 Senate amendment agreed to. Status: Amendment SA 924 as modified agreed to in Senate by Unanimous Consent. [...]

104. S.AMDT.2692 to H.R.2764 To require a comprehensive nuclear threat reduction and security plan.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 9/6/2007) Cosponsors (2)
Latest Major Action: 9/6/2007 Senate amendment agreed to. Status: Amendment SA 2692 as modified agreed to in Senate by Unanimous Consent.

105. S.AMDT.2799 to H.R.3074 To provide that none of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used to enter into a contract in an amount greater than $5,000,000 or to award a grant in excess of such amount unless the prospective contractor or grantee makes certain certifications regarding Federal tax liability.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 9/10/2007) Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 9/11/2007 Senate amendment agreed to. Status: Amendment SA 2799 agreed to in Senate by Voice Vote.

106. S.AMDT.3004 to H.R.1585 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 9/20/2007) Cosponsors (2)
Latest Major Action: 9/20/2007 Senate amendment submitted

107. S.AMDT.3026 to H.R.1585 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 9/24/2007) Cosponsors (1)
Latest Major Action: 9/24/2007 Senate amendment submitted

108. S.AMDT.3068 to H.R.1585 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 9/26/2007) Cosponsors (4)
Latest Major Action: 9/26/2007 Senate amendment submitted

109. S.AMDT.3073 to H.R.1585 To provide for transparency and accountability in military and security contracting.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 9/26/2007) Cosponsors (4)
Latest Major Action: 9/27/2007 Senate amendment agreed to. Status: Amendment SA 3073 agreed to in Senate by Unanimous Consent.

110. S.AMDT.3078 to H.R.1585 Relating to administrative separations of members of the Armed Forces for personality disorder.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 9/27/2007) Cosponsors (7)
Latest Major Action: 9/27/2007 Senate amendment agreed to. Status: Amendment SA 3078 agreed to in Senate by Unanimous Consent.

111. S.AMDT.3137 to H.R.3222 To provide that none of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used to enter into a contract in an amount greater than $5,000,000 or to award a grant in excess of such amount unless the prospective contractor or grantee makes certain certifications regarding Federal tax liability.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 10/2/2007) Cosponsors (2)
Latest Major Action: 10/3/2007 Senate amendment agreed to. Status: Amendment SA 3137 agreed to in Senate by Unanimous Consent.

112. S.AMDT.3234 to H.R.3093 To provide that none of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used to enter into a contract in an amount greater than $5,000,000 or to award a grant in excess of such amount unless the prospective contractor or grantee makes certain certifications regarding Federal tax liability.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 10/4/2007) Cosponsors (2)
Latest Major Action: 10/15/2007 Senate amendment agreed to. Status: Amendment SA 3234 agreed to in Senate by Voice Vote.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
8. S.J.RES.23 : A joint resolution clarifying that the use of force against Iran is not authorized by the Authorization for the Use of Military Force Against Iraq, any resolution previously adopted, or any other provision of law.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 11/1/2007) Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 11/1/2007 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Foreign Relations.
I really liked this one. Ya gotta make sure you explain things very clearly to dubya. No Georgie, Iran and Iraq are NOT the same country. :bonk: