Quantcast

McCain speaks realistically

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
McCain Says He Could Lose Over War Issue

By LIZ SIDOTI, Associated Press Writer

(02-25) 19:44 PST ROCKY RIVER, Ohio (AP) --

John McCain said Monday that to win the White House he must convince a war-weary country that U.S. policy in Iraq is succeeding. If he can't, "then I lose. I lose," the Republican said.

He quickly backed off that remark.

"Let me not put it that stark," the likely GOP nominee told reporters on his campaign bus. "Let me just put it this way: Americans will judge my candidacy first and foremost on how they believe I can lead the country both from our economy and for national security. Obviously, Iraq will play a role in their judgment of my ability to handle national security."

"If I may, I'd like to retract 'I'll lose.' But I don't think there's any doubt that how they judge Iraq will have a direct relation to their judgment of me, my support of the surge," McCain added. "Clearly, I am tied to it to a large degree."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/02/25/politics/p094331S99.DTL&type=politics

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was reading that yesterday. At least you know his head isn't all the way up his ass on the issue. Doesn't change his mind about it, but at least he will understand if he loses.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
This is an attack on the issue and whomever on his staff thought of it, they need a promotion.

Absolutely brilliant to head the issue off before it gets overblown -and- it 'forces' people to actually study and understand the issue instead of reacting to it emotionally.

Also, it seperates him from Bush without insulting Bush. He's basically saying that if the need to invade Iran comes about that it'll be different from Iraq in concept and execution.

Absolutely brilliant strategy.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'm tired of high gas prices; can't our military sweep across the middle east, with Exxon in tow, and pump more oil out of there? After that we could move onto Venezuela

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I thought he would admit there would be a 50/50 chance he would die of old age before his term was up if he was elected president.