Quantcast

McCain talks about WWIII and the draft

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Asked about that possibility by a potential voter in Florida during a telephone "town hall meeting," McCain said: "I don't know what would make a draft happen unless we were in an all-out World War III."
I can't believe McCain wants to start World War III! We will all be drafted.

That's what he is talking about, right N 8?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
if we invade iran, there will most likely be a draft(i can't see how it will be feasible without one), which is why if we do invade i'm going to enlist in the coast guard.

no way in hell am i going to risk my life for something i don't believe in.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
if we invade iran, there will most likely be a draft(i can't see how it will be feasible without one).
If we stay in Iraq much longer you will find the same situation. The suicide/desertion rate is only going up and the lack of replacement vehicles is starting to have a serious impact.

One of the National Guard Blackhawks used for search and rescue in Oregon has been sent to Iraq. So don't get stuck on Mt. Hood, because your ass aint getting lifted off any time soon.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
You just keep on thinking happy thoughts.
I'll clarify this.

The United States Coast Guard is one of the five Armed Forces of the United States and one of the seven Uniformed Services of the United States. While technically under the control of DHS, command of the USCG shifts to the Navy when Congress declares war or the President issues an executive order. The other two uniformed services, NOAA Corps and PHSCC can also be put under the command of the DoD by executive order.

Members of the Coast Guard served in combat in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. At any point the President could order them to report to the Chief of Naval Operations, and CNO could order them to charge a bunker or clear a house.

Something we didn't have in the 60s that're MUCH more popular than drafts are enlistment bonuses. So long as those keep getting larger, we'll have all the men we need for military service.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If we stay in Iraq much longer you will find the same situation. The suicide/desertion rate is only going up and the lack of replacement vehicles is starting to have a serious impact.

One of the National Guard Blackhawks used for search and rescue in Oregon has been sent to Iraq. So don't get stuck on Mt. Hood, because your ass aint getting lifted off any time soon.
What about Mt. Baker? I might need a lift sometime in August.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Members of the Coast Guard served in combat in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. At any point the President could order them to report to the Chief of Naval Operations, and CNO could order them to charge a bunker or clear a house.

Something we didn't have in the 60s that're MUCH more popular than drafts are enlistment bonuses. So long as those keep getting larger, we'll have all the men we need for military service.
I served "in combat" while I was in the Navy. The closest call I had was a night out without rubbers. Puddle Pirates see less action than the Navy. :rofl:

Also, not sure if you've looked at enlistment numbers lately, but I know first hand that even $30k bonuses aren't enough for a lot of kids when faced with repeat deployments. I have 2 friends who used to work in recruiting and both quit last year because neither could make numbers and said the pressure was intense at the state level.

The Iraq War began to have an impact on recruiting in 2005, when the Army missed its goal for the number of recruits. In 2007, for the third year in a row, the Army did not meet its benchmark for the level of educational attainment of recruits. The percentage of recruits the Department of Defense (DoD) considers ‘high quality’ also dropped considerably. A higher percentage of recruits will drop out well before the end of the first term of enlistment, leading to further increases in spending on recruitment and training, including enlistment bonuses and pay for additional recruiters.