McCain ~vs~ Obama: Election 2008

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Nice way to start..

:brow:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iQRxkYTsoPZU4eCBGiXoTgkGtScAD913SCR00

A day after Barack Obama sealed the Democratic nomination for president, a corruption scandal involving a fundraiser who once bankrolled his campaign resurfaced to slightly dampen the festivities.

Chicago businessman Antoin "Tony" Rezko, 52, was convicted Wednesday of fraud, money laundering and aiding and abetting bribery in a plot to squeeze illegal payoffs out of firms hoping to do business with the state.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
How is this a way to start? We've been hearing about Rezko for half a year... but you can try to make it news today if it makes you feel better.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
How is this a way to start? We've been hearing about Rezko for half a year... but you can try to make it news today if it makes you feel better.
If we are going with old stories, how about one about McCain himself?

He has lots of experience...experience in incompetence and corruption :busted:

Keating Five

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
At least you can say McCain vs Obama. How will it feel N 8, when your president is black?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
charges were dropped, without conditions :busted:
Doesn't make him any less of a student of the school of old corrupt politicians...

McCain received $112,000 by 1987 from Keating and Keating's relatives and employees to McCain's Senate campaign, more than any of the other Senators. In September 1987 National Thrift News was the first media outlet to break the story. In October 1989 The Arizona Republic reported that in addition to campaign contributions, McCain's wife and her father had invested $359,100 in a Keating shopping center in April 1986, a year before McCain met with the regulators. The paper also reported that the McCains, sometimes accompanied by their daughter and baby-sitter, had made at least nine trips at Keating's expense, sometimes aboard the American Continental Corporation (parent of Lincoln) jet. Three of the trips were made during vacations to Keating's opulent Bahamas retreat at Cat Cay. McCain also did not pay Keating for some of the trips until years after they were taken, after he learned that Keating was in trouble over Lincoln. Lincoln Savings and Loan's collapse is said to have cost taxpayers $3.4 billion.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
At least you can say McCain vs Obama. How will it feel N 8, when your president is black?
i should chime in condi is a well-qualified (but regrettably unelectable), and is twice as black as obama
Doesn't make him any less of a student of the school of old corrupt politicians...
so what you're saying is he's been found guilty of absolutely nothing and no further charges are pending

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
He's bigger than Hasselhoff!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24973623

As Josef Joffe, the publisher and editor of the prestigious German weekly Die Zeit, wrote in a Web posting: “The spirit of the times is for Obama — even if less so in Asia, Africa and Latin America than in western Europe. But an optical illusion may be influencing our mood — notably the comforting picture that it is not America but George W. Bush that is the problem. Out goes the ‘cowboy,’ in comes Change and Hope, and we can love America again.”

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
cant blame el bushie for everything.. Congress is at least as responsible
Only as responsible as soldiers that follow orders.

(good lord, I have to find myself a new punchline. it's just that this one is so eeeazy)

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Let's see what Obama has been up to in the senate.. maybe this will help define his 'presidency'..

http://obama.senate.gov/votes/index.cfm?start=1
let's see what McCain's been up to...

Voting down additional GI benefits - check
Voting against banning torture - check
Voting to offer immunity to phone companies for illegal wiretapping - check
Pledging to extend bush's tax cuts even though he was originally against them? - check
Voting lock-step with bush 95% of the time? - check

Yup, that'll define his presidency alright...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
let's see what McCain's been up to...

Voting down additional GI benefits - check
Voting against banning torture - check
Voting to offer immunity to phone companies for illegal wiretapping - check
Pledging to extend bush's tax cuts even though he was originally against them? - check
Voting lock-step with bush 95% of the time? - check

Yup, that'll define his presidency alright...
and they call him a Maverick... :disgust1:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
and they used tocall him a Maverick... :disgust1:
fixed it for ya. you should be ecstatic, he's Bush 2.0. :clapping:

(use used to be a maverick, defying the republicans on everything from judicial nominees to campaign financing to taxes... now that he's running for office, however, it seems he's had a Romnian change of heart.)

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
so i take it from teh collective ignorance no one even bothered to google the highlights of mccain's speech earlier this week?

sure are a cynical lot here, with no audacity of hope

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
so i take it from teh collective ignorance no one even bothered to google the highlights of mccain's speech earlier this week?

Of the canned speeches I've heard Mccain give, he has no hope against Obama.

If he can stick to off the cuff debates and keep his wits, he has a chance.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

I felt asleep about 3 minutes in. His huge crowd of 12 was too much for me to handle. Not to mention how fit and young he looked bathed in green.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004

watched it live. laughed when both MSNBC and CNN ditched him mid speech at 9pm b/c the results from SD came in. he speech was... not very inspiring. yes, he played up the differences between himself and bush. too bad he's spent the last 12 months running TOWARDS bush any chance he got in order to get the nomination. I liked McCain, and voted for him in the 2000 primary. I liked the way he stood up, spoke his mind, and didn't alway vote in lock-step with the rest of the Republicans (I like that of any candidate). However, since he decided to run for the nomination, he's turned abruptly right, and tried to cozy up to bush whenever possible. Maybe he just turned hard right for the primary, and he'll go back to his centrist ways, but that's not necessarily enough to get me to vote for him.

I do hope that it's a positive campaign on both sides, based on the differences in policy.

As a side note on the whole "experience" thing: In the past 5 presidents, only ONE was elected with actual international experience (GHWB, as he was VP previously). All the rest were governors. :busted:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
on the assumption obama picks hillary as his running mate: i'll offer up a broken clock, which is right at least twice/day:
James Earl Carter said:
Jimmy Carter urged Barack Obama not to pick Hillary Clinton as his running mate in an interview with a British publication, saying such a pairing "would be the worst mistake that could be made."

The former Democratic president, who announced his support for Obama as the Illinois senator clinched his party's nomination Tuesday night, told the Guardian's Weekend magazine that Obama and Clinton together "would just accumulate the negative aspects of both candidates."

In a bluntly worded assessment, Carter defended his stance by citing Clinton's negative ratings and the many questions and biases Obama faces.

"If you take that 50 percent who just don't want to vote for Clinton and add it to whatever element there might be who don't think Obama is white enough or old enough or experienced enough or because he's got a middle name that sounds Arab, you could have the worst of both worlds," he said.
preach on, brother!