Quantcast

McKenzie Pass

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
My arm still hurt too badly to race the long awaited Super D at Willamette Pass, so I had to bag that and go for a road ride instead. We decided upon McKenzie Pass because it's only closed to cars for a couple more weeks. This ride is a long section of scenic highway that climbs up to a summit and then decends back down into McKenzie. There are a MULTITUDE of switchbacks so numerous that I never count, tons of great views, and a lot of effort the actual climbing part of the ride if you go out and back, is about 6000' in 12-15 miles, and then there are flat 10-15 mile sections leading up. The last time I did this ride was in a stage of the Cascade Cyling Classic.

Here is the view from Sisters where the official ride starts

Anyone know what this thing is? It was running around in the middle of the road making this odd gutteral growl sound and looking generally pissed off. When I stopped to take its picture it came dashing at me and gave my shoe a giant peck!

When the climb started we began to pass some riders and I felt like I was in the Tour! Halfway up the climb you come to Windy Pass and are treated to this view of Mt. Hood to the north.

And I think Mt. Washington to the North.

This route is under snow for most of the winter and there was evidence of that everywhere.

During most of the climb, you are ascending through lava rock fields that are just totally odd.

If you look closely you can almost see my guns.:clue:

Almost at the top

This little observatory is built of, in, and around a lava flow.

And alas, a different view of the very same mountains we started off looking at.

Although my true love is definitely mountain biking, there is something special about road riding. This ride was definitely a special ride.

Lady Litton

Chimp
Oct 25, 2001
Bend
Nice road ride there!

Sorry you hurt your elbow. We missed you two out at Willamette. I think there were two other Sport girls in your class. They had a mass start and you had to run to your bike and bomb down a steep rocky fire road to hit the s/t first. It looked pretty fun!

I entered my 1st Pro DH race and had to step it up to make it through that burly course! It's steeeeep with lots of obstacles and breaking bumps. I was the only Pro woman.... instant gold.... what can ya do.... Stu stepped it up to Semi-Pro and got 2nd, winning $$$ for having the 3rd fastest time in Pro. Oregon rocks!

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Great pics Heidi! Very moon-landing-ish up there huh? What kind of altitude/elevation gain is there? My lungs hurt just thinking about it! :dead:

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Ha that's funny! That bird went after Scott a couple weeks ago too!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
McGRP01 said:
Great pics Heidi! Very moon-landing-ish up there huh? What kind of altitude/elevation gain is there? My lungs hurt just thinking about it! :dead:
Heading up from Sisters the climb is about 6 miles, 2500' of climbing to the top. Not bad at all, it's when you descend the other side and turn around and come back up that it hits you hard, that side is much longer..and has 3655' climbing.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
ghostrider said:
Cool write-up Heidi. How is the traffic on the roads up there? Did you see many cars?
Most of the ride is closed to cars until July. How sweet is that!!!!!!!!

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Heidi said:
Most of the ride is closed to cars until July. How sweet is that!!!!!!!!
Takes car of issue number one I have with road riding. Did they figure out how to eliminate any headwind on that road? If so, issue number two is solved and it truly is a dream come true.