Quantcast

McKenzie River trail June 30 or July 1??

MrBiggs

Chimp
Jun 8, 2004
Philadlephia Pee Ayy
I'm from Philly visiting OR in a few weeks and I'm hoping to get to the McKenzie River trail for a day-long ride on either June 30 or July 1. You want to come along? I'd rather ride with people(s) who know the trail than ride alone. I haven't worked out details like getting there from Hood River (where I'll be staying). Do I need to count on camping out nearby? I might be shipping my own bike (Intense Uzzi SL) but I think I might look into renting a bike in either Hood River or Eugene while I am there.

Any advice or anyone interested in going for a ride let me know.

Reply here or get me at brian@MrBiggs.com

Green

Chimp
Jan 11, 2005
South Central Woodinville
When we rode the McKenzie River Trail, I think we stayed at the Trail Bridge Campground or maybe Paradise?. Not sure which one, but it was about halfway up the trail. Camping there worked well because we were able to break up the uphill riding. ie, 12 miles up to start, 26 miles down on trail, then 12 miles back to the campground. Something like that.

I've seen a few articles saying the upper half of the trail is now closed to Mt Bikes, but I'm not sure. If it is closed that's a shame because I remember the upper half being the best.

If you have two cars and the upper half is still open, I would shuttle it. We were destroyed after our ride. 50 miles wasn't too terrible, but on an Uzzi, I'd opt for a ride to the top of the trailhead. Plus, you could avoid riding on the highway.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Green said:
When we rode the McKenzie River Trail, I think we stayed at the Trail Bridge Campground or maybe Paradise?. Not sure which one, but it was about halfway up the trail. Camping there worked well because we were able to break up the uphill riding. ie, 12 miles up to start, 26 miles down on trail, then 12 miles back to the campground. Something like that.

I've seen a few articles saying the upper half of the trail is now closed to Mt Bikes, but I'm not sure. If it is closed that's a shame because I remember the upper half being the best.

If you have two cars and the upper half is still open, I would shuttle it. We were destroyed after our ride. 50 miles wasn't too terrible, but on an Uzzi, I'd opt for a ride to the top of the trailhead. Plus, you could avoid riding on the highway.
Oregon board at MTBR.com is a good place to get the most current info. I've heard that conditions are excellent and nothing about closures.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i agree there's not too many vocal people on this board that do alotta XC especially in Oregon haha.
i live in Seattle and would love to make the trek down there and do that ride. But plans are in the works for a Mt. St. Helens ride. i have that ride in my sights this year, i'd love if you gave us a report back on how you like it. :)

MrBiggs

Chimp
Jun 8, 2004
Philadlephia Pee Ayy
Yeah ok. If the trip is made I'll probably build a web-photo-album about it. My gang of bike nerds here in Philly will want to see the purty pictures.
I also heard about the potential need for shuttling. So I guess I hope to find this: someone with a car and bike rack and camp stove in or near Hood River who wants to do the trip on the same day that I am. Long walks on the beach and sunsets are optional.