Quantcast

McKenzie River Trail

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
McKenzie River Trail

27 miles 1500' gentle descending sweetness

Always nice to have great expectations realized in what turned out to be a great weekend. With so much positive comments coming from a trail it was nice to be nearly guaranteed a great ride.

L rounding around Clear Lake

With so much hype surrounding this trail i've been definately looking forward to putting my tracks on it. It is a river ride so having an appreciation for the aesthetics of the natural surroundings is important. Usually that means stopping alot and looking around and soak in the serene atmosphere.

Snacks cruisin

But it sure doesn't hurt for the trail itself to be awesome itself making the ride equally as enjoyable. A trail always is better when it offers you varied terrain.

Evilbob navigating thru the lava rock

What impressed me on MRT is it's really 3 really good trails in 1 single great trail. The upper half a ride around a beautiful lake with the challenge of lava rock, the middle section more techy rocky sections but passing next to 2 waterfalls and the blue pool, and the bottom section a fast flowy ramble near the river. Not to mention the fabulous old growth timber on all of them.

Can you see the rider?

Psycho1! and L

There is a bit of climbing even when you shuttle, but the trail is so well built there really isn't a section of hike a bike save for the bridges where the railing impede being on a bike during a crossing.

pedal pedal pedal

Absolutely beautiful terrain...

i mean c'mon, riding above not one but two crashing waterfalls?!?! Ya gotta be kidding me!

Trailhacker above Tamolitch Falls

Of course Oregon can never let me return unscathed. Bastard hornets have no appreciation for photographers stepping on their nests while taking pictures, got me good... My ankle still itches....

There are a few rocky technical sections and some of the bridges are fun to ride across, but really the hardest thing about riding here is keeping your eyes on the trail. So damn beautiful my eyes were constantly being drawn away from the trail.
If i spent a couple days staging ride photos i could easily fill a book with quality shots. The terrain is that rich.
My camera battery died at the Blue Pool where the river is reammerging from a lava tube. Pretty much halfway thru the ride, but honestly i was happy to stuff the camera in the pack and enjoy the goodness that seemed to last forever.

The final 3 miles i broke off and sprinted, and as i carved thru the final turns, i was satisfied. Strong enough to hammer the final little climbs, cutting thru the trail with the river by my side, the wind cooling as i read my trail lines. Content as i naturally react and the forest is transformed to a greenish blur in my peripheral.

Awesome.

Castle Rock via King Castle Trail

11 miles 2600' elevation

A few days before i took off for the weekend i found out my plans had changed and i'd be available to do a little solo pre-McKenzie ride sneak and peek, before i met the others at the campsite. Perusing the maps a few potential rides were evident, but the more and more i looked at this one, the more and more i thought it would be a great little trail ride.

Turned out to be the "perfect" trail ride.

Buff singletrack a flowing out and back with old growth. It was a joy to climb, honestly a joy! i never really can say i honestly enjoyed climbing a trail. Now i can, i enjoyed climbing this trail.

A stop near clearcut about halfway up and a look at Castle Rock and the elevation that looms ahead.

Of course a top shelf trail ride in the Cascades wouldn't be complete without a payoff view at the top.

Castle Rock Panorama

And how fortunate i was to be able to rail down this quality quality descent.

To summarize i'd say that McKenzie is the best "river" trail ride i've ever been on, and King Castle/Castle Rock is the best "trail" ride i've ever done.

So worthy....

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
That's awesome. I love that blue water that is simply amazing. and your panorama isn't working for me.

Approved

edit: "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Skookum again." :mumble:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Panorama fixed.:)

And Mr. Epic.... C'mon LJ, i prefer Dr. Rev. Prof. Epic...:p

Edit: Also on the pano it's starting from the West then ends looking SouthEast. As you look east on the McKenzie River Valley in the distance you see a bunch of volcanos. Oregon is full of small ones and i believe the first funny lump in the distance is Three Fingered Jack, then after a few closer mountain tops you have Mt. Washington, then nearly obscured in clouds is the Three Sisters.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Great report! I will get out west to ride someday. My goal, other than riding the PNW, is to ride above treeline somewhere. Someday....

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Great! Approved.

The only thing I can say is Im not sure Id be able to do that ride a second time without strapping my flyrod to my camelback and testing out that river. WOW. suck beautiful water.

Im moving to where Skookum lives.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
awesome pics skooks!! Ihave been trying to get back there for years.. I think your pics have finally made up my mind... I just hope I can get there before the winter!!!!!!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
The whole weekend really was awesome :cool:

The rest of hit Post Canyon on Saturday morning for a XC loop then drove down south, through the thick ass forest fire smoke:dead:to meet Skooks at the campsite

The coolest thing about MRT was it really had everything to offer. Two technical lava sections, climbs, descents, tree slalom sections, great views and of course great company:)

Awesome ride....Simply amazing trail. The upper section is old growth with technical lava sections, then the lower section turns to the smoothest, twisting single track that just seemed to propel your bike with no effort. The most enjoyable 27 miles I've ever ridden!

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
as noted elsewhere, glad you finally made it Skooks, et al. It definately rates for an "every year" ride but somehow that doesn't seem to happen.

How about North Umpqua now Skookie!

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
A few pics I have from this trip. Awesome trail and one I will plan a weekend around again for sure!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Another Waterfall pic

I am the King of all before me

I am the "Sausage King"

Overlooking the Blue Pool

How does Skookie get some of those cool pics?

Skookie in the Lava

Reflections in the Blue Pool

Trailhacker and Snacks in the Lava

Amazing water color!

Skookum on the edge.........

PsychO1 and just "L" for now in the lava

Oh and one of me passing the Blue Pool

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
McGRP01 said:
My goal, other than riding the PNW, is to ride above treeline somewhere. Someday....
There are a few true "alpine" rides up here. Even more if you're willing to pay the ticket for riding in "Wilderness". :evil:
But there are a few worthy ones that break above treeline, where the air is thin, and the trails are primitive, and the ride is an adventure. :)

hooples3 said:
I just hope I can get there before the winter!!!!!!
Haha yah, honestly the riding up here in the winter is pretty average, but during this time of year it's prime.

Heidi said:
Glad you guys enjoyed MRT, wish I could have joined you! Maybe I'll go this weekend.
i know where i'm going to buy a cabin now....:)

Have you done that King Castle/Castle Rock ride? It's just down the road from the Ranger Station. It's soooo good! There's also another trail on the SW side of the river basin called Ollalie, and it looks great on the maps as well.

Snacks said:
great views and of course great company:)
Awww shucks...:heart: :p

Echo said:
I'm coming out there next summer. I humbly request that you take me on at least one of your epic rides :)
People from Rochester shouldn't be so humbling it just doesn't seem right.... yah man i'd love to show you around.:)

Borneo said:
How about North Umpqua now Skookie!
Yah man, TRAIL X! Let's make it happen!:cool:

evilbob said:
Skookum on the edge.........
Too much Skookie, but i really like that shot. Send me the full rez.:)

evilbob said:
That turned out pretty good, gimme cred yo! i like your shot of Sahalie Falls, it turned out great.:thumb:

crashGordon said:
Thanks Skookum for not showing any pictures of me where I was struggling to just stand there with my bike (aka - "L")
Haha was great riding with ya crash.:) You realize that by picking that name everyone is gonna assume you're a guy.:D

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
BurlyShirley said:
The only thing I can say is Im not sure Id be able to do that ride a second time without strapping my flyrod to my camelback and testing out that river. WOW. suck beautiful water.
Haha, I was thinking the same thing the whole time. Looks like great 9' 4 weight water :cool:

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Originally Posted by Skookum
That turned out pretty good, gimme cred yo! i like your shot of Sahalie Falls, it turned out great.:thumb:
Yup that one turned out great, thanks for snappin that one of me.......I'm such a poser :D :evil:

Originally Posted by Skookum
Haha was great riding with ya crash.:) You realize that by picking that name everyone is gonna assume you're a guy.:D
This is the monkey, crashGordon works, now there has to be some kind of story to build monkey credibility (or not :think: :think: ) into that name...............hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm let me see.............