Quantcast

Me going super insanely huge (warning: ski content)

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
This is me going hog wild in the Killington grommet terrain park. There is no stopping my mad skills. :p

...and our cousin Keith showing us the correct way to do it.

Man, I love winter. :D

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
MtnBikerChk said:
"all for one" passes are good at Killington too :)

btw, I must add that Keith is one of the top ranked ski instructors in the country - so this picture makes it that much funnier!

(he was fine btw - it was a very S-L-O-W moving crash)
Gee, where do I sign up? :rolleyes:

:p :D

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
splat said:
IAB what Kind of Helmet do you have ? I need to get me one.
I have a Giro Ravine, circa 1998. I really need to consider getting a new one. Helmets are warmer than you'd think. My head roasts in that thing. I think I paid $40 for it in an end of season 50% off sale.

the question is though did you land it ?
There was nothing to land, really. My skis never left the ground...I just slid up and over that thing. :D

Hey ride_fast, cool pics! I won't be trying any of those rails, but it's fun to watch.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
boxes are fun. but please, do not go off the jumps unless you actually plan to hit them, just going slow over them messes up the landing and the lip. sorry about the rant, but the nashoba park is getting really messed up due to too many idiots who shouldnt be there. and this next phrase is going to get me flamed, most skiers do not belong in the park. the emphasis is on most.

gnurider1080 said:
boxes are fun. but please, do not go off the jumps unless you actually plan to hit them, just going slow over them messes up the landing and the lip. sorry about the rant, but the nashoba park is getting really messed up due to too many idiots who shouldnt be there. and this next phrase is going to get me flamed, most skiers do not belong in the park. the emphasis is on most.
so I guess hit it big or don't hit it at all?

how do you learn?

:rolleyes:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
MtnBikerChk said:

how do you learn?

well basically our park has larger jumps, rails, and boxes. im all for those progression parks that larger mountains have but at nashoba we just dont have the space for one. there are small jumps everywhere on the hill and those are great for learning to get air without flattening out the lip and scraping the landing down to ice which can potentially be very dangerous for the people who do go big off of the jumps. a park pass will be implimented pretty soon which will keep most of the people who should not be in the park and make it dangerous for others out of it. from a safety standpoint, in a larger park it makes perfect sense to keep the less experienced people out.

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
gnurider1080 said:
most skiers do not belong in the park. the emphasis is on most.
more like some skiers dont belong in the park, not most. there are a lot of good park skiers these days. i mean seriously look at this insaine sequence...

insane huh?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
ride_fast said:
more like some skiers dont belong in the park, not most. there are a lot of good park skiers these days.
Hell, most snowboarders don't belong in the park either.

Don't get me started on people of either stripe who side slip down a chute that was steeper than they thought it was...

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
gnurider1080 said:
...most skiers do not belong in the park. the emphasis is on most.
You've never been to Mammoth, have you? Check out Mammoth's park scene, then we'll see how you feel about skiers in the park.

MtnBikerChk said:

how do you learn?

Start on smaller jumps. Coming up short on big jumps or just rolling over them is dangerous because you will either hurt yourself (by landing flat on the top of the jump) or cause others to get hurt (when they land on you).

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
dexterq20 said:
You've never been to Mammoth, have you? Check out Mammoth's park scene, then we'll see how you feel about skiers in the park.
maybe its just me being used to riding in new england. there are very few skiers who i have seen who are capable of riding in a park compared to the number of skiers who shouldnt be in the park. yes skiers should be allowed in the park but if you compare the number of people who are good at riding park on skis compared to the people who arent good at park then most skiers should not go into the park. i guess you can say the same thing about snowboarders, but from what ive seen, even ****ty snowboarders still get some air off of the jumps which doesnt do as much damage as skiers who decide to do a wedge up the face of the jump and over the lip. plus there is the whole thing about surface area on soft lips, a snowboarder has his or her weight distributed along a wider surface whereas a skier has a narrow surface along which his or her weight is distributed. so when jumps are still fairly new or soft, many skiers going off of the jump will make the lip wear out faster than snowboarders going off of the jump. i have spent nearly 30 hours in the park over the course of the past few days and i have seen all of this so hopefully no one will say im making **** up. skiers do have a right to be in the park just as much as snowboarders, but there needs to be limits as to who can access certain parks due to the difficulty and size of the park. and as my final statement, skiing in the park is to snowboarding in the park as mountain biking in the park is to riding a bmx in the park. ill let you interpret that however you'd like.

oh yeah, and this is just my opinion. im not saying im the end all be all, im just voicing what i think.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
ride_fast said:
more like some skiers dont belong in the park, not most. there are a lot of good park skiers these days. i mean seriously look at this insaine sequence...

insane huh?
did the person who edited that photo have a crack problem? :think:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
and just so IRB doesnt think im bagging on him, he was in the beginner park and he doesnt seem like the kind of person who likes to just roll over the tops of the jumps so his efforts are commendable.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
gnurider1080 said:
skiers do have a right to be in the park just as much as snowboarders, but there needs to be limits as to who can access certain parks due to the difficulty and size of the park.
I couldn't agree more, and this statement holds true no matter what kind of plank(s) you're riding. It's dangerous for everyone when you have people sitting on the landings and cutting across in-runs of jumps.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
This thread turned to SUCK after post 16.

:(

All you ski snobs should be happy people are actually USING the parks. From what I hear, terrain parks are being removed from lack of use. :rolleyes: