Quantcast

Me too, Me too!! I need help too!!

Well, I've decided to do it...I'm going to get a new bike. I'm kind of clear as to what I want, but I need a little guidance. So far, I'm settled on getting a hardtail, and I really like GT (that's what I have now). I know I don't need disc brakes because I'm not going to be all hardcore downhill biker girl (not yet, at least) ;) so I want V-brakes, right? And what kind of components should I look for? Shimano has a bunch of different kinds, and I want something in the middle, i guess, like deore LX? Maybe? Oh, and I think I could mangage to spend b/t $700-$900. What do you think? Any ideas? I really appreciate it guys...help a novice out. :D

chunk

Chimp
Aug 10, 2001
Virginia
IMHO you don't want any components below LX. The stuff below it doesn't hold up to abuse like LX or XT.

There are a lot of SWEET bikes in the $700 - $1000 as this is the most competitive price range. The most important thing is to find one that fits. Honestly there's not much difference in performance between a $700 GT, Gary Fisher, etc. Mountain Bike magazine also reviews some women specific components/bikes so you might want to pick up copy for a quick read.

One last thing about disk brakes, a front disk brake kicks ass even for XC riding. I made the jump to disk brakes when I purchased my new bike (check it out at http://www.bikefreak.net/images/the_soulcraft01.jpg) and have noticed a huge difference. No more sore arms from a long downhill!

L8tr, I'm going out to ride!

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
FYI-

I'm sure everyone by now knows Huffy has purchased GT and Schwinn. I want to warn everyone on what this does to warranties of new and current bikes.

You don't have one.

Or more precisely, your warranty is on hold until further notice. We (until recently) carried GT in one of our stores. We elected to drop the line not because of the recent purchase, but because it is not possible to service GT's with warranty issues. The company is completely frozen. NOTHING can be sent out of GT until the purchase is final and debtors are paid. Once Huffy stabilizes GT, however that will happen, I'm sure that the warranty service will resume. But know that until it does, if you brake your frame or have serious warranty problems that cannot be rectified through another source (IE shimano parts) you will not have a replacement ride.

Imagine how pissed you would be if you paid $1500 bucks on a bike that broke after two months and were told "sorry, can't help you?"

Sounds like a good time ta buys a Schwinn or GT ta me whiles everybodys all freaked out abouts warrenties chu don't needs an' chit like dat.
Dat GT wat chu gots picked out is far betteren' wat anybody had 10 jears ago. An' it's more dan chu was askin' for wit da brakes an' all. Juss makes fer chure you don't realy wants full saspention dhoe.

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Fisher bikes rock. Because Fisher was foolish enough to broadcast to the world he invented the sport (pure shit) his product gets kicked around alot.

I'll go toe to toe with anyone who wants to knock fisher's quality and inovation though, even if he does greatly exagerate his contribution to the sport. Any takers?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Originally posted by LeatherFace
I don't know what it is, but fisher bikes never crossed my mind to even look into. What do you love about fisher bikes so much sirknight? :confused:
The Genesis Geometry seems to just "Fit". The bike climbs like there's no tommorow, and it's not how I handle the bike, but how it handles me. The Marlin tracks real well, and because of the geometry, downhills I new I did not have the NADS for, after having finished them, could not figure out why I had a problem with it in the first place!!!!

For a 500.00 bike to be hand made in the US is really not that common, but after completting the Xterra trails here in Richmond, the bike just shines!!!!

I love my bike!!! I hate my shock!!!!

Just on mans opinion!!!!

:) :) :) :)

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Le me splain dis chu u.

Genesis is the ultimate is XC race geometry, and starting this year, it comes on bikes as cheap as $400 (Marlin.)

Genesis runs a longer top tube, shorter chainstays, relaxed seat and heat tube angles, without chainging the wheel base for a specific size. What you get is more weight over your rear wheel (shorter chainstays+relaxed seat tube angle,) your weight further behind your front axel ( longer top tube+relaxed head tube angle,) all without changing how you size the bike.

That means better climbing through better traction.
Better descending through less cart-wheels over the handlebars.
Quicker, more responsive handling from the lightening of the front end.
And all that for a really good price.

The only disadvantage is if you are short in the torso and long in the legs. It will be very hard to fit a genesis frame. You can do it, but its difficult. (I.E. Your typical Cannondale (notoriously short top tubes.) Customer who fits perfectly on a Canny frame will most likely hate the way a Fisher fits.)

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Originally posted by Merwin5_10
Le me splain dis chu u.

Genesis is the ultimate is XC race geometry, and starting this year, it comes on bikes as cheap as $400 (Marlin.)

Genesis runs a longer top tube, shorter chainstays, relaxed seat and heat tube angles, without chainging the wheel base for a specific size. What you get is more weight over your rear wheel (shorter chainstays+relaxed seat tube angle,) your weight further behind your front axel ( longer top tube+relaxed head tube angle,) all without changing how you size the bike.

That means better climbing through better traction.
Better descending through less cart-wheels over the handlebars.
Quicker, more responsive handling from the lightening of the front end.
And all that for a really good price.

The only disadvantage is if you are short in the torso and long in the legs. It will be very hard to fit a genesis frame. You can do it, but its difficult. (I.E. Your typical Cannondale (notoriously short top tubes.) Customer who fits perfectly on a Canny frame will most likely hate the way a Fisher fits.)

yeah..............what he said!!!!!!:D :D :D :D

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
actually, the shorter top tube genesis is called the Genesisters.

As it would imply, its intended for women but hey, if it fits ride it!