Quantcast

Measuring

I finally bought a chain gauge, a ProGold - my argument to this point has been that I use a tape measure and change the chain out at 50% wear. I checked the chain on four bikes - the chains on two (Heckler and MB3) were utterly worn out - so much for my belief that I regularly use the tape measure to check.

The gauge is easy to use, let's see if I do any better as time goes on.

Also discovered while changing out the chain on the Heckler that a) the pivot axle was disassembling itself and b) it's time for new bottom bracket bearings.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
i bought a gently used NiteRider Minewt 250. It replaces the old Vista Light I have been using for the last 13 years. It has a great wide beam and as a bar mount it should work very well. JBP If you can live without your fork for a week you can send it to me and I will service it for you. I am ordering parts next week.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
i use this Rohloff caliber!

but to be honest, i mostly use it on other people's bikes, because strangely the people that neglect their bikes the most are the ones who blame the chain to have worn out (as if they would ride that much in the first place) rather then f*cking clean their chain and drivetrain so it can shift at all. so i use this gauge to tell that their chains are actually ok. :D

When I asked Tim to order a gauge I wasn't specific about brand - he ordered a Park and the ProGold and offered me my choice. I liked the wear percentage rather than go-no go, so I opted for the latter. What I found interesting is that I have been using 12 1/8" pin-to-pin as a an indicator for chain replacement - the gauge is calibrated to call for replacement at 12 1/16".

I thunk about the :spam: aspect and decided that as godhead/mod there must be no issue. Want to see my Ford pitch?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
When it's time to replace your chain: When it has "n" number of master links and going for the n+1 master link makes the chain too short.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I usually just swap my chain with my rings/cassette. As soon as the ring's teeth starts to look a bit thin, or it starts to feel kinda notchy it all gets swapped, cassette, ring, chain. Never felt like I needed one of these.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I usually just swap my chain with my rings/cassette. As soon as the ring's teeth starts to look a bit thin, or it starts to feel kinda notchy it all gets swapped, cassette, ring, chain. Never felt like I needed one of these.
Worn chains will wear out other bits of the drivetrain faster. However worn chains work well with worn cassettes. I typically replace my chains at 50% wear but hold on to them. When the rest of the drive train is shot the used chains get a second chance at life.

That's what I used to do - middle ring, chain, cassette, all to oncet. Damn expensive way to go as opposed to, say, three chain replacements before the whole mess gets swapped out.

It's all religion...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My personal madness is: 2 chains and a new drivetrain each spring and every time the drivetrain gets dirty I just swap out the chain in a gladware container and some simple green, rinse and repeat. After I clean the chain I soak it in Slick 50 so that is is ready to go. I store it in a zip lock bag. My stuff shifts flawlessly all season.

My theory is that my chains mate to the cassette and chainrings and wear evenly to each other. My middle ring seems really worn right now and I am considering swapping it out, but since it is working perfect I feel I could get away with not touching it. I always have a new drivetrain on hand and ready to go...