Quantcast

Mechanically failed hard drive - where to send for recovery?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Alright, I posted this in another thread, but thought I would make it it's own thread because the other thread title was a little vague and I really want some opinions/suggestions here.

So I just had a hard drive mechanically fail, like this morning, as a matter of fact. Less than 6 hours ago. My main laptop with all my client files and work on it. No backup. Yeah, I won't be doing THAT again, gonna pick up a FireWire external HD today and possibly some backup software. Boo to this, what a hassle.

Anyways, it was recommended to me that I check out www.drivesavers.com but after talking with both them and the folks at www.salvagedata.com (mentioned in the other thread) I am inclined to go with Salvage Data. Why? Their pricing seemed to be more grounded in reality, actually. Drive Savers said they're pricing depends on how much of the data they would be able to recover, whereas Salvage Data bases their final pricing on how complex and involved the recovery ends up being. This makes more sense to me, rather than the Drive Savers scenario of "Heck yeah, we plugged it in to the most common machine we got here in the office, and in 30 minutes we had all of your data... that'll be $5,000". I was given the number of a Denver local company called Digital Medix that might be able to help as well. 1-866-344-6339 if anyone needs it.

Anyone else have any other suggestions of where to possibly send this drive for recovery? It's a 100GB drive from a Macintosh Powerbook G4, about a year old or so. Partitioned into three volumes: One for system software and apps, one for music, and one for client work, not sure if that makes a difference but I thought I would throw it out there.