Quantcast

media blackout on mandatory suicides?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
so i'll hear on the news on a not-so-rare basis about another ft carson soldier taking his life. even one where he offed his family first. then, without fanfare, all coverage stops within 24 hrs of each event.

yesterday, dude got out of his truck & just ran flat off the bridge onto the northbound lanes of the interstate, where he died of head trauma.

no online coverage anymore.
no archived coverage of recent suicides either.
all i can find is this from almost a month ago: army suicide rates climbing
The Army expects 2007 will have been one of the worst in years in terms of suicide among active soldiers. If 32 cases still under investigation are added to the 89 confirmed, 121 suicides represent a 20 percent spike from 2006 - more than twice the number reported in 2001, pushing the Army rate closer to that seen among the civilian community.
couple to that we have the 2nd highest rate of suicide in the country, but there is no breakout by military/civilian (plus, ft carson is out of colorado springs proper).

of all the things that you'd expect to have coverage, for reasons of politicization and for awareness, this seems to be swept under the rug.

the only black helicopters i hear are on post, i swear.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
There is research that shows a that media coverage of a suicide leads to a rash of 'copycat' suicides, so its probably better that they are not reported.

Whilst I agree that elevated veteran suicide rates is an issue (don't go to war if you can help it?) I don't particularly want to know the exact details of a particular individual's gruesome end. It's a bit tabloid. a bit like being fascinated by Britney. Kinda useless and essentially negative.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
There is research that shows a that media coverage of a suicide leads to a rash of 'copycat' suicides, so its probably better that they are not reported.

Whilst I agree that elevated veteran suicide rates is an issue (don't go to war if you can help it?) I don't particularly want to know the exact details of a particular individual's gruesome end. It's a bit tabloid. a bit like being fascinated by Britney. Kinda useless and essentially negative.
Or it could be linked to the fact that news of these people related to the military could hurt recruiting numbers (more than they already are)....

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Or it could be linked to the fact that news of these people related to the military could hurt recruiting numbers (more than they already are)....
if the abundant news about car bombings, sniper fire, and "work environment" aren't deterrent enough, i doubt doing oneself in would tip those numbers.

not that those numbers are in trouble.

if anything, those recruitment numbers would be higher if it weren't for unmet qualifications.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
if the abundant news about car bombings, sniper fire, and "work environment" aren't deterrent enough, i doubt doing oneself in would tip those numbers.

not that those numbers are in trouble.

if anything, those recruitment numbers would be higher if it weren't for unmet qualifications.
i'll be damned..!! the liberal education system is indeed subverting the military process!!!

Recruiters said enlistments would be even higher if so many weren't turned away. A huge number of young people show up at the recruiting stations, but can't enlist because they can't pass the basic test.