Quantcast

Meet Murphy, our foster greyhound

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The Connecticut Greyhound Association was in dire need of a foster home for this fella, so we decided to give him a place to crash while CGA looks for a permanent home for him. He's such a good boy! He's BIG compared to our greyhound. He slept right through the night last night and didn't make a peep. He's very affectionate and attention needy. He's going to make some family very lucky. :)

We'll take him to a greyhound Meet and Greet at our local Petco this weekend and hopefully adopt him out. I can't imagine placing him will take very long.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I hope you find him a home quick. We fostered a dog from our local Humane Society. One week turned into two, then three, four ... awww hell, let's just adopt her ourselves.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Cooter Brown said:
Good on you guys for helping a doggie out. I personally would have to adopt him myself, I get attached to dogs too quickly.
Yeah, we are trying hard not to get too attached because we really can't keep a second dog right now. But while we do have Murph in the house, he'll live like a king. :)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
awww... He looks kinda sad, like he knows he isnt gonna get to stay that long.

You should keep him
Yeah, he does look sad. He was in a home since June then the family gave him back this weekend (they keep changing their story why). He's gone from the track to a home to a foster home to another foster home (us) in a matter of two months. Poor guy. He needs a good home.

We can't keep him. We may get another greyhound down the road, but we can't right now.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I Are Baboon said:
We can't keep him. We may get another greyhound down the road, but we can't right now.
Caring for 1 dog is almost the same as 2 :blah:

Keep him

I am kidding, actually my girlfriend wanted to go to the Humane Society this weekend to "look at the doggies" I told her it wasnt a good idea because I knew Oreo would end up with a new brother/sister

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Caring for 1 dog is almost the same as 2 :blah:
Rob is pretty much right. The biggest problem for us was deciding where the second kennel would fit.

I would take him in a heart beat but alas I refuse to go through any of those damn rescue groups that want to do home inspections, have personal referenences and make you agree to suprise visits. We saved our last greyhound directly from the race farm, and that dog got plenty of care and love without some holier than thou asshat "approving" our ability to save a dog from certain death.

end rant.

caboverpete said:
I would take him in a heart beat but alas I refuse to go through any of those damn rescue groups that want to do home inspections, have personal referenences and make you agree to suprise visits. We saved our last greyhound directly from the race farm, and that dog got plenty of care and love without some holier than thou asshat "approving" our ability to save a dog from certain death.

end rant.
well our group does not do surprise visits. the scheduled home visit is more to make sure the family understands the special needs of greyhounds - ie: never off leash unless it's fenced in area. there was no "inspection."

c'mon - adopt him!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
caboverpete said:

end rant.
:eek:

Like MBC said, greyhounds do have special needs other dogs don't (as you know), so our adoption group sat with us to make sure we understood all that before we took one in. They also want to make sure our home would be a good place for a dog. Unfortunately, there are a lot of deadbeat pet owners out there.

MtnBikerChk said:
well our group does not do surprise visits. the scheduled home visit is more to make sure the family understands the special needs of greyhounds - ie: never off leash unless it's fenced in area. there was no "inspection."

c'mon - adopt him!
Unfortunatly I think Southwest Virginia is a little far away from you guys to adopt him. Oh and "never off leash" sure wasnt a special need of our greyhound... a rabbit could have run right through his legs and he wouldnt even pay attention, I think the lazyness of a greyhound is sometimes under estimated.

caboverpete said:
Unfortunatly I think Southwest Virginia is a little far away from you guys to adopt him. Oh and "never off leash" sure wasnt a special need of our greyhound... a rabbit could have run right through his legs and he wouldnt even pay attention, I think the lazyness of a greyhound is sometimes under estimated.

I think the instincts of a greyhound are often under estimated. you never know when they are going to kick in. letting a greyhound off leash in an unfenced area is irresponsible.

MtnBikerChk said:
I think the instincts of a greyhound are often under estimated. you never know when they are going to kick in. letting a greyhound off leash in an unfenced area is irresponsible.
I only had him for 7 years I guess it really wasnt enough time for me to learn much about his behaviour. sorry I was so irresponsible.

MtnBikerChk said:
don't be an a$$ and listen to what I'm saying..... you never know when instinct will kick in. they are still sighthounds and can decide to take off in an instant.

this is why we have home visits.
I was just replying to being called irresponsible.... if you did notice I said it was not a special need for "our dog" and if someone was to say I shouldnt own a greyhound because I let my dog of a leash in an unfenced area then I am going to be an ass. I was responsible enough to save that dog from be starved to death or left to disease, I was responsible enough to care for that dog for 7 years and I was responsible enough to take care of him through his last year dealing with bone cancer. So if you would rather a dog be sent from home to home to home rather than be let off a leash on occastion then thats fine and it is exactly the attitude a lot of these rescue groups have. I'm really not trying to be a prick I just love these dogs and just because I let mine off a leash does not mean I was an irresponsible owner. Also if letting him off a leash means I cant adopt from a group thats fine, I will go to the farm again and save another. Either way a dog is getting saved and thats all that matters to me.

caboverpete said:
I was just replying to being called irresponsible.... if you did notice I said it was not a special need for "our dog" and if someone was to say I shouldnt own a greyhound because I let my dog of a leash in an unfenced area then I am going to be an ass. I was responsible enough to save that dog from be starved to death or left to disease, I was responsible enough to care for that dog for 7 years and I was responsible enough to take care of him through his last year dealing with bone cancer. So if you would rather a dog be sent from home to home to home rather than be let off a leash on occastion then thats fine and it is exactly the attitude a lot of these rescue groups have. I'm really not trying to be a prick I just love these dogs and just because I let mine off a leash does not mean I was an irresponsible owner. Also if letting him off a leash means I cant adopt from a group thats fine, I will go to the farm again and save another. Either way a dog is getting saved and thats all that matters to me.

I tell you what... the next time I'm asked to put up flyers for a greyhound that took off because he was off leash - and had been with the same family for 5 years, you can come up and help me.

it's still an animal. and if you think you know what he's thinking, then you are also arrogant.

now I don't want people reading our thread to think its ok to let them off leash - because it's not. so this is the end of discussion.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
Hey can me and the boys visit Murph and Jewell tonight? I've got some Innova Treats for them.
I might not be around because of a 7:00 hockey game, but come on over.

Murph can reach countertops with his snout. We found this out quickly yesterday. He is TALL!

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
we have a lady on our street (my nemesis, but that is another story) who we call Crazy Dog Lady...she is always walking her foster dogs & she IS CRAZY AS HELL!

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I Are Baboon said:
No rabbit needed...just take them to a fenced in ball field, remove the leash, and away they go! It's awesome to watch. :)
KICKASS!
now you need two foster chimps & two little saddles. :D