Quantcast

Meet Murphy, our foster greyhound

Flakey Jake

Monkey
Nov 4, 2003
Chico
Greyhounds do make great family pets. The funny thing is before I ever met a couple, I always assumed they would be terrible pets because they are racing dogs, but they are actually great dogs. Maybe you guys should keep him! :D

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
dexter said:
im sooo getting a chimp for our new house. he can carry my books to class in matching outfits and pull mad girls

then he could throw **** at them and rip your balls off with his bare hands, charming little beasts really.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Great looking dog. Count me in the "keep him" camp.

Once saw one get loose from a meet and greet in a parking lot. Zoom! Fortunately there was a happy ending.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I really like Greyhounds, they make great pets. If I didn't live on the other side of the country, I would be really interested in adopting.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
blt2ride said:
I really like Greyhounds, they make great pets. If I didn't live on the other side of the country, I would be really interested in adopting.
There are greyhound rescues in many states. If no greyhound specific rescue in your area, there is most likely a more general dog rescue in your area that takes greyhounds, or you can try the pound or SPCA. If you don't know where to start, call the SPCA.

In light of all the dogs (and cats) waiting to die in shelters, there are too many people buying dogs (and cats) from pet stores and breeders.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
OGRipper said:
There are greyhound rescues in many states. If no greyhound specific rescue in your area, there is most likely a more general dog rescue in your area that takes greyhounds, or you can try the pound or SPCA. If you don't know where to start, call the SPCA.

In light of all the dogs (and cats) waiting to die in shelters, there are too many people buying dogs (and cats) from pet stores and breeders.
Greyhound Pets of America Chapters in California:

GPA/California--Orange County
& Greater Los Angeles
Sandy Hightower
1210 N. Cypress Street
La Habra Heights, CA 90631
800 298-5743
Email: gpa.ocgla@verizon.net

Greyhound Adoption Sacramento
Eugene Lukehart
1288 Berggren Way
Sacramento, CA 95815
916 921-8281
Email: info@gotgreyhounds.com

GPA - Northern California/Greyhound Adoption California
Ann Sanders, President
1582 Wright Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
408-749-0899
Email: gpa-norcal_gaca@comcast.net

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Liam, Connor and I paid a visit to IAB's and MBC's house tonight to say hello to Jewell, and Murphy and to bring them some Innova biscuits.

Murphy is a big boy and a real "leaner" - he made the rounds and got lots of attention and petting and then he just laid down and crashed on the deck - exhausted from all the attention I guess. Cool dog.

And it is amazing to see how beautiful Jewell looks now that she's lived with IAB and MBC for a while. Her coat is so shiny and silky and her teeth so clean! She's a real beauty.

It was great to visit with MBC and to give plenty of pets to the pups tonight! :cool:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Cute pup. I miss having a dog around. Looking forward to the days when I have a lifestyle that allows me to adopt one...

Good for you guys. Keep it up!

MMcG said:
Liam, Connor and I paid a visit to IAB's and MBC's house tonight to say hello to Jewell, and Murphy and to bring them some Innova biscuits.

Murphy is a big boy and a real "leaner" - he made the rounds and got lots of attention and petting and then he just laid down and crashed on the deck - exhausted from all the attention I guess. Cool dog.

And it is amazing to see how beautiful Jewell looks now that she's lived with IAB and MBC for a while. Her coat is so shiny and silky and her teeth so clean! She's a real beauty.

It was great to visit with MBC and to give plenty of pets to the pups tonight! :cool:

Jewell told me to tell you "thanks for the cookies uncle mark!"

Murphy said "who are you? will you pet me?"

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
laura said:
then he could throw **** at them and rip your balls off with his bare hands, charming little beasts really.
Good point. You should go with Capuchin monkeys instead.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
there was a girl at my last apartment complex that owned a greyhound. dog was ****in' huge. i don't know why anyone would keep a dog like that confined to a tiny apartment. poor guy.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
the Inbred said:
there was a girl at my last apartment complex that owned a greyhound. dog was ****in' huge. i don't know why anyone would keep a dog like that confined to a tiny apartment. poor guy.
How big was the apartment? Greyhounds seem to me to be kind of lazy dogs, so maybe it wasn't so bad for him. Lazy in the sense that they are the kind of dogs to expel their energy in one big burst (running like the wind!) and then content to just sleep and sleep and sleep.

come to think of it, that sounds like a pretty damned good life! :D

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
How big was the apartment? Greyhounds seem to me to be kind of lazy dogs, so maybe it wasn't so bad for him. Lazy in the sense that they are the kind of dogs to expel their energy in one big burst (running like the wind!) and then content to just sleep and sleep and sleep.

come to think of it, that sounds like a pretty damned good life! :D
:thumb:

Greyhounds are indoor dogs and are very lazy. As long as you take them for walks and the occasional run, they are perfectly content to lie around all day and sleep. They are actually very good apartment dogs.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I Are Baboon said:
That is pretty tight quarters, but as long as she took the pooch for walks, I think it'd be fine.
My HOUSE is only 1000sq feet and I have two very happy very healthy Greyhounds. They do have 24/7 yard access (mind you with a 6ft solid cedar fence that is locked from the inside) via their doggie door though so that probably makes the difference. Grey's don't take up much space, and don't need much space to be happy as long as they are played with and walked daily.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
DH Diva said:
My HOUSE is only 1000sq feet and I have two very happy very healthy Greyhounds. They do have 24/7 yard access (mind you with a 6ft solid cedar fence that is locked from the inside) via their doggie door though so that probably makes the difference. Grey's don't take up much space, and don't need much space to be happy as long as they are played with and walked daily.
You need to post pictures of them. :)

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
DH Diva said:
Grey's don't take up much space, and don't need much space to be happy as long as they are played with and walked daily.
And if they're anything like whippets, even if they had 5000sq ft they'll still always be curled up in the the couple of sq ft that is right next to their human....or the comfiest sq ft of the couch ;)

J

JRB

Casey says hi to the dogs. He wants to race because he is fast, like thunder. And he doesn't use a leash.