Quantcast

Meet My New Bike....

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Sexy bike, I like it. Too pretty to ride though.

How do you like the Ti? I've only ridden it a few times, but it seems pretty lively. I still like my steel, as does my wallet.

You need a sexier set of brakes and chain tugs though. I suggest Surly TugNuts and Oro Puros. But that is just me :)

:thumb:

The Ito

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
moff_quigley said:
Because it's a high-zoot, 29er SS? Not every SS needs to be an old clapped out Trek with a singulator.
Agreed, but I built up an American Made Ti SS last spring for my son that if it had one of those carbon rigid forks on it (WB IMV .8 currently) would weigh within a few ounces of that bike and the cost for the whole build was probably less than the cost of that frame. It is pretty high zoot in its own self. High zoot doesn't necessarily mean high cost.

If someone gets more or as much fun out of building/buying bikes because they are "connected" and are getting "hooked up" than they do riding them then so be it. I like to build up a nice bike as much as the next guy and have owned more one of a kind bikes than the average joe. I usually work it in such a way as to have alot of input in the concept and let the builder have at it. In fact we are working on a new project right now that will stand out from the crowd rather than join it.

But in the end they are just bicycles and someone on a clapped out Trek is having just about the same experience while riding as they would be riding on a bike like the one here that costs way more. To each his own:oink:

Attachments

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
re: "HDR"

makes it just look like a cheap camera imo, what with too much contrast, blown highlights and shadows.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
This is the cleanest the SS will ever be...

I buy bikes to ride and abuse them... Means nothing to be to cover a $6k Racer X in mud and crud... If stuff breaks, I fix it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
HDR? High Dynamic Range?

What does that have to do with the way the bike shot was processed? There was only one exposure in the first place, so there's no way to combine exposures to achieve the HDR.

The processed bike shot looks interesting to me, not really my taste but it certainly gives a different feel to the image.

I don't understand what that has to do with HDR though.

:confused:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
moff_quigley said:
Nice. A set of mono minis with red bore caps and rotor carriers would be ultra pimpin'.
I am working on this package as I type this...

*M4 front - 7" rotor
*mini rear - 6" rotor
*custom Red rotor centers
*custom Red-bore plugs
*custom Red LEVERS
*custom Red Resivoir caps

Avids will go on my old Stumpjumper and replace the old rim brakes.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
N8 said:
I am working on this package as I type this...

*M4 front - 7" rotor
*mini rear - 6" rotor
*custom Red rotor centers
*custom Red-bore plugs
*custom Red LEVERS
*custom Red Resivoir caps

Avids will go on my old Stumpjumper and replace the old rim brakes.
I think a Mini with the 180 rotor on the front would be more than adequate and probably more fitting with the rest of the bike. Thumbs up for the rotor carriers/bore caps. I don't care for the colored levers and resi caps. An all black lever would be sweet. Carbon levers perhaps?

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
This conversation is getting a little metro-creepy now.

I'm outta here as soon as you start talking about matching your lipstick to the reservoir cap color.

mtbtom

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
UK
It all comes down to personal taste and the pursuit of happiness. For example, if you want a bike that looks like it belongs in the Pasadena tournament of roses parade then go for it.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
moff_quigley said:
What about eye liner and eye shadow can we match those?
:nonono:

mtbtom said:
It all comes down to personal taste and the pursuit of happiness. For example, if you want a bike that looks like it belongs in the Pasadena tournament of roses parade then go for it.
<Dr. Phil>
You are enabling these people and you have to stop doing that. This is a desperate cry for help and you refuse to listen.
</Dr. Phil>

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
I know you've got a color-theme going on there, but I'm not a fan of the buttranger stuff. Its all a personal and performance deal, but I've never liked the feel of those bars (sweep/rise just seem off) and I'm still sketchy on a carbon stem. The rest of the bike seems good. Now ride and thrash it and don't worry too much about the color cordination.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Bike was picked up at 11AM and it's on my Thule rack along with it's ExoBling Rx twin...

:dancing:

*Edit: Weighed it at the shop on a digiscale: 21.03 lbs with a bell and no pedals. Twin Ti Eggies are 260 grams a pair.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
binary visions said:
There was only one exposure in the first place, so there's no way to combine exposures to achieve the HDR.
not so fast...there's a thread on POTN on how to do HDR w/ a single RAW file...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
not so fast...there's a thread on POTN on how to do HDR w/ a single RAW file...
Well, okay, you get a little more leeway with a RAW file if you want to do multiple processes of the same file, but it's still not going to have as much dynamic range as multiple exposures. There's only so much dynamic range that the sensor can capture, RAW or not.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
like anything else, i guess it depends on how you use it...

what do you think of this image?

more here.
http://www.pbase.com/petejackson/yosemite_colours
those, and the following link(s) are tasteful. seems more like an aggressive job in Curves rather than intentional clipping of highlights and shadow detail. the shadows are still there in the yosemite one...
binary visions said:
Well, okay, you get a little more leeway with a RAW file if you want to do multiple processes of the same file, but it's still not going to have as much dynamic range as multiple exposures. There's only so much dynamic range that the sensor can capture, RAW or not.
you get a lot more leeway. i push and pull exposures over a stop regularly, and there's more to be had if you convert with linear gamma, use 16 (12 in reality) bit files, etc.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Toshi said:
those, and the following link(s) are tasteful. seems more like an aggressive job in Curves rather than intentional clipping of highlights and shadow detail. the shadows are still there in the yosemite one...
That's the point of HDR... that the shadows AND highlights are there. I don't understand how the bike image and/or intentional clipping of highlights and shadow detail even relate to HDR.

you get a lot more leeway. i push and pull exposures over a stop regularly, and there's more to be had if you convert with linear gamma, use 16 (12 in reality) bit files, etc.
Right. But you can get a lot more stops with multiple exposures :)

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Met up with a couple friends of mine, one of which is a top SS sport racer in TX and AR to learn how to ride a SS since this was my first time with one.

We rode a fairly easy trail with some short climbs. I was surprised to find that I could climb every one of them! It seems like every ounce of power from my legs is transfered to the wheels. The ridged fork took some getting used to having come of my Racer X with a 100 mm of travel. The only thing I had some trouble adjusting to is having to spin on the flat sections of the trail. Usually I shift in the large chainring/smallest cog for these sections and haul ass.

Bottom line is the Titus SS is a BLAST!!! :D

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
benwitt11 said:
Finished pictures? Man, you've had two hours already....
HAHA! Ben, you are as bad an Nathan J... I blame all this on him. BTW, thanks for supplying him with a KM on which to kick my ass on at Devil's Den next month....

:rofl:

I flipped the stem over... I'll see if I like that any better than the way you had it... I think it looks better inverted but tonite we'll see how it rides. Whatever the good peeps at I9 did fixed the wheel problem.

benwitt11

Chimp
May 9, 2006
That's what I like to see! I did like the stem as I had it, though it's all you now! Whatever works for you. I love the Hope's, a fine choice to be sure. You'd do well to look out for my next three projects though. They promise to be a matched set of bikes to really fill one's stable! Congrats.

Comparing me to Nathan though? I'd like to think that I'm more than a little responcible for these bikes. Hey, now you need a road bike to match! (Yes, I have one that would fit the bill in your size, and I am the devil!)

Cheers,
Ben

PS, How do you like the bell?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
benwitt11 said:
That's what I like to see! I did like the stem as I had it, though it's all you now! Whatever works for you. I love the Hope's, a fine choice to be sure. You'd do well to look out for my next three projects though. They promise to be a matched set of bikes to really fill one's stable! Congrats.

Comparing me to Nathan though? I'd like to think that I'm more than a little responcible for these bikes. Hey, now you need a road bike to match! (Yes, I have one that would fit the bill in your size, and I am the devil!)

Cheers,
Ben

PS, How do you like the bell?

You are the manufacturer and Nathan is the pusher!!! :p

I LOVE the bell! It was a really cool surprise!!! I use it amost constanly much to the dismay of some of my riding buds... :evil:

I'm looking forward to your next offering.. ;)

ncj01

Chimp
Aug 16, 2006
Well, it's hot enough to where I'm going to have to throw down my 1st ever RM.com post...

But I spy a vanity violation :clue: !!! Rear skewer on the wrong side :hot: ....that's a 3 point deduction... :ouch:

Yea, ben's cool, he's going to loan me a bike so I can come lay down the law in C-Dale at the Arkansas Championships at Devils Den in Sept...only he didn't know there's a time-line on it...it's all good though...all else fails I know a guy with a really hot looking red-bling Ti/carbon single speed I can borrow... :dancing:

N8 said:
HAHA! Ben, you are as bad an Nathan J... I blame all this on him. BTW, thanks for supplying him with a KM on which to kick my ass on at Devil's Den next month....

Whatever the good peeps at I9 did fixed the wheel problem.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
ncj01 said:
Well, it's hot enough to where I'm going to have to throw down my 1st ever RM.com post...

But I spy a vanity violation :clue: !!! Rear skewer on the wrong side :hot: ....that's a 3 point deduction... :ouch:

Yea, ben's cool, he's going to loan me a bike so I can come lay down the law in C-Dale at the Arkansas Championships at Devils Den in Sept...only he didn't know there's a time-line on it...it's all good though...all else fails I know a guy with a really hot looking red-bling Ti/carbon single speed I can borrow... :dancing:

Hey Nathan... the skewer is on the no-drive side of the rear wheel... ain't that proper and such..??? :p

benwitt11

Chimp
May 9, 2006
Yes, it is proper. Nathan, send me those damn parts! I can't built a whole bike out of a frame, and UPS only move so fast!!!!!

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I hope you guys like this board... it's a little more laid back than MTBR and we only have one goofy resident 29er Hater and even he's tolerable.

ncj01

Chimp
Aug 16, 2006
N8 said:
Hey Nathan... the skewer is on the no-drive side of the rear wheel... ain't that proper and such..??? :p
:weee: ah, i'm just makin' stuff up...you're right though, on a geared bike the lever is opposite of drive side...but on a SS, I would consider putting the levers opposite of the disc's...also, your XTR reads upside down as it is...

But, you know, I'm all about how it looks...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
ncj01 said:
:weee: ah, i'm just makin' stuff up...you're right though, on a geared bike the lever is opposite of drive side...but on a SS, I would consider putting the levers opposite of the disc's...also, your XTR reads upside down as it is...

But, you know, I'm all about how it looks...
Good point...

I've been skooled by the King-o-Bling...