Quantcast

Meet my new friend

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
DNA said:
I think y'all need to lay off the witchdoctor cracks. I went to grad school in anthropology and I have a lot of respect for primitive medicine and the like. It isn't all total mumbo-jumbo like chiropra ... never mind. :blah: :devil:
That's why I can't figure out him getting mad. We're actually paying him a compliment. :D:D:D

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
stinkyboy said:
Nice. I prolly should have bought that frame instead of my new Kikapu, but my LBS just built an 06 Kona A as a dual drive single speed that is so bad azz, and I will own...

:drool:
You're still a tool.

:rolleyes:

I do believe Stinkyboy just paid you a compliment....as twisted and backhanded as it was....

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
robdamanii said:
What does everyone think of Hope Bulb disc hubs?
Great hubs for the $$. Kinda beefy for you based on the type of build you've described thus far. If you're looking for performance w/o the cost of Kings, look at some DT Swiss.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
McGRP01 said:
Great hubs for the $$. Kinda beefy for you based on the type of build you've described thus far. If you're looking for performance w/o the cost of Kings, look at some DT Swiss.
I'm thinking that with th 5" front and rear, I'll be a little more tempted to do dumb things. And hopes seem like more all-mountain hubs to me.

It seems that it's a bit tough to find decent deals on Onyx hubs around, and I've heard they tend to be maintainence intensive.

Regardless, the build is seeming to look like this:
XT cranks
XO drivetrain
Hope Bulb hubs/DT Swiss Onyx hubs
Rims - TBD but maybe Mavic 719?
Juicy 7s
Talas fork
King Headset

I don't see any benefit of going with FSA carbon cranks at this point (weight savings are minimal and stiffness may be worse than the XTs), and I don't think that I'll get lighter parts and still keep that all mountain toughness. Maybe going with a carbon stem to match the bars, carbon levers for the Juicys, and different tires/tubes are small ways to save weight.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
robdamanii said:
It seems that it's a bit tough to find decent deals on Onyx hubs around, and I've heard they tend to be maintainence intensive.

Hope recommends greasing the freehub every three months -- same with King. Pretty easy to pull the apart and do. Instructions are on hope's site.

I don't know about the onyx, but the 240 and 340's are really easy to grease.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
robdamanii said:
I'm thinking that with th 5" front and rear, I'll be a little more tempted to do dumb things. And hopes seem like more all-mountain hubs to me.

Regardless, the build is seeming to look like this:
XT cranks
XO drivetrain
Hope Bulb hubs/DT Swiss Onyx hubs
Rims - TBD but maybe Mavic 719?
Juicy 7s
Talas fork
King Headset

I don't see any benefit of going with FSA carbon cranks at this point (weight savings are minimal and stiffness may be worse than the XTs), and I don't think that I'll get lighter parts and still keep that all mountain toughness. Maybe going with a carbon stem to match the bars, carbon levers for the Juicys, and different tires/tubes are small ways to save weight.

Go SRAM X.9 instead of X.0 and snag a pair of XT 752 cranks from JensonUSA for $89.00 - can't beat that price with a stick. sure they aren't the fancy newfangled outboard bearing cranks, but they'll still kick major ass and save you some money to put towards nicer hubs, rims and spokes for your wheelset.

Skip the King and get a nice FSA Headset - again it'll save ya bucks to put towards the wheels or nicer disc brakes.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
MMcG said:
Go SRAM X.9 instead of X.0 and snag a pair of XT 752 cranks from JensonUSA for $89.00 - can't beat that price with a stick. sure they aren't the fancy newfangled outboard bearing cranks, but they'll still kick major ass and save you some money to put towards nicer hubs, rims and spokes for your wheelset.

Skip the King and get a nice FSA Headset - again it'll save ya bucks to put towards the wheels or nicer disc brakes.
For some reason the X9s I've tried don't seem to be as crisp as the X0s.

And I've got the outboard bearings already, so it's a small expense to snag an XT set of cranks for the BB. Frankly, the cranks can even wait since I've got the LX setup right now.

My first concern is to drop the LX drivetrain and a new wheelset.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
robdamanii said:
For some reason the X9s I've tried don't seem to be as crisp as the X0s.

And I've got the outboard bearings already, so it's a small expense to snag an XT set of cranks for the BB. Frankly, the cranks can even wait since I've got the LX setup right now.

My first concern is to drop the LX drivetrain and a new wheelset.

I'd just keep runnin those LX cranks rather than upgrading then. :thumb: