Quantcast

Meet our new doggie

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
McGRP01 said:
Unless I can find a Labradoodle.... :think:

There's a lady that hikes a local trail that we frequent that has a Labradoodle. we've run into her a few times. Her's is mixed with yellow lab. Its the coolest dog. Her fur is as soft as lambs wool and she's so friendly. Seems like a really good dog. Good luck finding one.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
This is totally bizarre, but, I talked to a young (20-something) couple about building a home for them and the only two things they cared about were stone countertops and a laundry room big enough for their two retired grayhouds to sleep in.

Cool pup-dawg y'all got there!

:thumb:

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I Are Baboon said:
I have not been able to locate her racing history yet. It's not something the agency provides when you adopt the pooch.
What was her official racing name and birth date?? I can probably find her history for you.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
MtnBikerChk said:
Dolla Jewell

left ear stamp 10735
right ear 22F

birthday is Feb 2002
Are the ear stamps you listed from her paperwork or read off her ears?? Also, do you have the day she was born also?? Your dog is the first greyhound I haven't been able to locate in any of the tracking databases. Try matching up her ears with the paperwork just to make sure something didn't get transcribed wrong. Also, what state did she come from?

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
DH Diva said:
Are the ear stamps you listed from her paperwork or read off her ears?? Also, do you have the day she was born also?? Your dog is the first greyhound I haven't been able to locate in any of the tracking databases. Try matching up her ears with the paperwork just to make sure something didn't get transcribed wrong. Also, what state did she come from?
That info was taken from her ears and written on the adoption papers right in front of us. The left ear is hard to read though, and the adoption lady admittedly guessed at the last couple of numbers.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I Are Baboon said:
That info was taken from her ears and written on the adoption papers right in front of us. The left ear is hard to read though, and the adoption lady admittedly guessed at the last couple of numbers.
That is most likely the problem. Actually, I think she also has the first couple numbers wrong as well. The LE mark is actually a numerical code given to every litter whelped, and they are assigned cronologically. My 7 year old greyhound has a LE# starting in the 70,000's, and my 3 year old Grey's LE# starts in the 90'000's. Your girl should have a number a little closer to the 8-90000's also. There are several dogs that come up with a RE# of 22F, but none of them have your dogs registered name. Given her information wasn't well documented, I'm guessing she probably didn't ever formally race, outside of training. This would explain the lack of info on her. Which can be a very good thing. Often times, the Greys with less track time have a low prey drive and haven't been exposed to the bad bad parts of greyhound racing. I'll keep looking for info though. I've got a number of sources I can keep searching in.

DH Diva said:
That is most likely the problem. Actually, I think she also has the first couple numbers wrong as well. The LE mark is actually a numerical code given to every litter whelped, and they are assigned cronologically. My 7 year old greyhound has a LE# starting in the 70,000's, and my 3 year old Grey's LE# starts in the 90'000's. Your girl should have a number a little closer to the 8-90000's also. There are several dogs that come up with a RE# of 22F, but none of them have your dogs registered name. Given her information wasn't well documented, I'm guessing she probably didn't ever formally race, outside of training. This would explain the lack of info on her. Which can be a very good thing. Often times, the Greys with less track time have a low prey drive and haven't been exposed to the bad bad parts of greyhound racing. I'll keep looking for info though. I've got a number of sources I can keep searching in.
THANKS!!

That was actually my guess too. She doesn't even seem to notice birds when we walk. She's so good :)

btw, she's from CT (Plainfield greyhound park)

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
DH Diva said:
Actually, I just found that your dog was born after we hit the 99999 litter, so the litter #'s cycled back over to 10000. Being a detective is fun!

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
DH Diva said:
Actually, I just found that your dog was born after we hit the 99999 litter, so the litter #'s cycled back over to 10000. Being a detective is fun!
Thanks for checking into this for us! We really appreciate it. Like MBC stated, we were guessing that she had very limited, if any, race experience. She looks at our cats with curious interest, but has not shown any predatory signs....no growling, licking the mouth, shaking or drooling (well, no more drooling than usual :D ).

Work sucks. I want to go home and play with her. :(

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I Are Baboon said:
Thanks for checking into this for us! We really appreciate it. Like MBC stated, we were guessing that she had very limited, if any, race experience. She looks at our cats with curious interest, but has not shown any predatory signs....no growling, licking the mouth, shaking or drooling (well, no more drooling than usual :D ).

I can almost guarantee that your girl never stepped foot on a track. I found a litter of dogs, born on the 9th of Feb. 2002. Their litter number is 10545. The whole litters names start with Dolla. There also isn't a dog listed in that litter with a RE of 22F. The RE numbers are assigned by what order they were birthed. Comparing two different databases, some of the dogs have been removed from the litter record. This is done when dogs don't pass racing school or they are dropped from racing to make the pedigrees look better for the Sire's and Dam's. It's kinda like making a race resume and listing that you won a race, but not listing that you got last at 50. Same idea. It makes the breeders look better. I'm guessing your doggie is a racing flunky, and they never registered her to race, or if they did, they removed her once she didn't show any potential. I have a racing flunky and he is the sweetest thing ever. The one's that don't make it through the race training program are actually sometimes more at risk for "disappearing" if you know what I mean because their lack of records make them easy to "misplace." She's lucky you guys have her and that she got out of racing alive. Here's a link to the record of one of what I'm pretty sure is your dogs brothers. The main page is www.greyhound-date.com. It's a public site that hold racing and breeding records.

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=Dolla+Fable&sex=&color=&birthyear=&birthland=

It's hard to think that the racing industry considers these dogs disposable and liken them to cattle and livestock. Before I had a grey, I didn't like the racing industry. After owning one and seeing how amazing they are, it outright sickens me to see what they do to those poor dogs. On a side note, the track in Oregon closed this last fall!! WooHoo!!

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
McGRP01 said:
That's awesome IAB/MBC!! I think greyhounds are beautiful animals. Unfortunately, severe allergies will keep me from ever getting a dog or cat, but we have my daughter's goldfish...and they keep me amused. :)

Unless I can find a Labradoodle.... :think:
McGRP01; I'm pretty sure my cousin in Maine has one. It was a puppy last summer, and he had just picked him up before the family reunion. I think they got him from a breeder in Quebec? If you really want one, I can find out more information. :confused:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
DH Diva said:
I can almost guarantee that your girl never stepped foot on a track. I found a litter of dogs, born on the 9th of Feb. 2002. Their litter number is 10545. The whole litters names start with Dolla. There also isn't a dog listed in that litter with a RE of 22F. The RE numbers are assigned by what order they were birthed. Comparing two different databases, some of the dogs have been removed from the litter record. This is done when dogs don't pass racing school or they are dropped from racing to make the pedigrees look better for the Sire's and Dam's. It's kinda like making a race resume and listing that you won a race, but not listing that you got last at 50. Same idea. It makes the breeders look better. I'm guessing your doggie is a racing flunky, and they never registered her to race, or if they did, they removed her once she didn't show any potential. I have a racing flunky and he is the sweetest thing ever. The one's that don't make it through the race training program are actually sometimes more at risk for "disappearing" if you know what I mean because their lack of records make them easy to "misplace." She's lucky you guys have her and that she got out of racing alive. Here's a link to the record of one of what I'm pretty sure is your dogs brothers. The main page is www.greyhound-date.com. It's a public site that hold racing and breeding records.

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=Dolla+Fable&sex=&color=&birthyear=&birthland=

It's hard to think that the racing industry considers these dogs disposable and liken them to cattle and livestock. Before I had a grey, I didn't like the racing industry. After owning one and seeing how amazing they are, it outright sickens me to see what they do to those poor dogs. On a side note, the track in Oregon closed this last fall!! WooHoo!!
Thanks for all that information. That is very interesting stuff. It makes sense that our dog could very well be a flunky. Our dog came from Plainfield, CT, and the adoption guy who "interviewed" us said if a dog can't race at Plainfield, a dog can't race (Plainfield is the "bottom of the racing barrel" as he put it). This just makes us all the more happier that we got her, because if the track had stayed open, who knows what might have happened to her.

I wonder how she's doing right now...

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
My Indy is a little black and white tuxedo female also. She's approaching seven years old!!! First picture is her playing in the yard, and the second is her snuggled up under her covers with her red bird.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
DH Diva said:
My Indy is a little black and white tuxedo female also. She's approaching seven years old!!! First picture is her playing in the yard, and the second is her snuggled up under her covers with her red bird.
Awwwww! She's so cute. :) Ours is brown right now, but everyone says she will most likely shed her race coat and a shiny black coat will replace it.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I Are Baboon said:

That's great that she hasn't really bothered the cats. I'm sure if they decide to venture closer and start teasing some chasing might start, but then they'll all just get a good workout :) A cat I had when I lived at home with my folks for a bit wouldn't go near their big 'ol 100lb lab the first few weeks....by time I moved out it was like a cartoon watching them run from room to room....first the dog chasing the cat, then the cat chasing the dog!

I know the day must be dragging waiting to get home to your new girl!!! Keep the pics coming.

And if you're in the market for a fany schmancy sighthound collar here's where we got ours from

http://www.siriusenterprises.com/

Loosie just got here custom black leather collar with her name on it and once Sophie is full grown she gets a red collar with her name :) Jasper has had his for about 3 years now I think and it's still going strong!!!

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Echo said:
Waiting patiently for you to come home :)
Waiting....more than likely sleeping, stretching, sleeping some more, enjoying being in the lap of luxury, and yea, I think I'll sleep again, it's what I do best!!!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
MtnBikerChk said:
OUR DOG IS A LOSER! :D

actually, that's fine with me!!

she's so cute though.

guess I need to figure out how to set up the vpn on my firewall... SPlat, you're coming over this Friday, right? :)
My boy Grey Giovanni was booted at about 18 months. He must have been a super loser! He'd much rather chase bees and flies than race around the yard with the other dogs!!

Here's a site that has a webcam broadcast of their Grey Dolby and their foster dogs!! It's pretty funny.

http://www.dolbycam.com/

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Good on you guys for adopting her. She's adorable and I hear good things about greyhounds temperament and whatnot when they aren't inbred too much..

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
what do the feed the Greyhounds at the Track and what are you guys feeding Jewell?
The track feeds them mostly soft foods that are packed with protein...meats and stuff. This is why greyhounds have bad teeth. We feed her Pro Plan dog food, which is a good mix of protein, carbs, and fat. (edit: of course, we also give her a good supply of tasty treats :) )

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
Mark, does your dog like Greenies? We bought a $30 box of those fockers and Jewell doesn't seem too interested.
I'm anti-Greenie.

Never ever gave them to Bailey or Missy.

Let her chew on raw marrow bones that you can get from the supermarket - just make sure you can supervise a little and she does it in a spot you want her to do it on.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
My dogs go nuts for Greenies. The chlorophyll in them is supposed to be good for cleaning their teeth and giving them better breath.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
We didn't research Greenies. We just got them at the recommendation of the adoption agency. I didn't realize they were hard chew treats, much like a bone. We gave one to Jewell Saturday night and it is just sitting on the floor with a couple of bite marks in it.

She's loving the Milk-Bone Crunchy Treats though!

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
MMcG said:
and what else is in those things??
This is what I got from the website:

Processed wheat product base with 52% protein - twice what is present in most dog foods
Chlorophyll
Ingredients to reduce tartar buildup on teeth and enhance healthy gums
Ingredients to freshen breath, control oral bacteria and reduce "doggie" odors
Ingredients to supplement your dog's diet with nutritious protein.
Palatability enhancer for your dog's "taste buds" and enjoyment.

I am not sure why the dogs go nuts over these things. They don't smell like anything in particular. One of my dogs does eat paper, grass (not just when she is sick) and anything else she can get her teeth around. OK, I am amending my recommendation of the Greenies to: my dog who is a picky eater loves these things.