Quantcast

Meet our new doggie

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
DNA said:
This is what I got from the website:

Processed wheat product base with 52% protein - twice what is present in most dog foods
Chlorophyll
Ingredients to reduce tartar buildup on teeth and enhance healthy gums
Ingredients to freshen breath, control oral bacteria and reduce "doggie" odors
Ingredients to supplement your dog's diet with nutritious protein.
Palatability enhancer for your dog's "taste buds" and enjoyment.

I am not sure why the dogs go nuts over these things. They don't smell like anything in particular. One of my dogs does eat paper, grass (not just when she is sick) and anything else she can get her teeth around. OK, I am amending my recommendation of the Greenies to: my dog who is a picky eater loves these things.
So do all those "things" = chemicals of some sort?

MMcG said:
Cool - Pro Plan is pretty good.

Lemme know if you ever have dog food questions - I've studied up on it a lot.
I'd like to switch her to Innova or at least Nutro Natural when we can. They told us the Pro Plan is a good food to transition right from the track. Our kittens had pro plan from the humane society when we got them. It was ok. Their coats just look so great now on the Innova.

I have a little doggy toothbrush and paste to clean her teeth :)

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
MMcG said:
So do all those "things" = chemicals of some sort?
A couple more blurbs. Do you know something bad about these things that I haven't heard? It wouldn't bother me to stop getting them as they are a little pricey.

Ingredients:
Processed wheat gluten, glycerin, natural flavor, powdered cellulose, monosodium phosphate, monoglycerides of edible fatty acids,
magnesium stearate and chlorophyll

All ingredients in Greenies® the original smart-treat® are highly digestible
and, except for the palatability enhancer, are used in human food products.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
MtnBikerChk said:
I'd like to switch her to Innova or at least Nutro Natural when we can. They told us the Pro Plan is a good food to transition right from the track. Our kittens had pro plan from the humane society when we got them. It was ok. Their coats just look so great now on the Innova.

I have a little doggy toothbrush and paste to clean her teeth :)
That Shop in Granby carries the good stuff. There is also Canton Feed and Supply - they also carry all the good brands. :thumb:

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
MMcG said:
I'm anti-Greenie.

We are too, but because not to pleasant things come out of our younger ones after they've eaten them....yuck.... :dead:

Ours get their fill of chewies/rawhides and loooove bullie sticks.

DHDiva, that webcam is cute.....why does it not surprise me that when I clicked on it they were just sleeping away the day :D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
DNA said:
A couple more blurbs. Do you know something bad about these things that I haven't heard? It wouldn't bother me to stop getting them as they are a little pricey.

Ingredients:
Processed wheat gluten, glycerin, natural flavor, powdered cellulose, monosodium phosphate, monoglycerides of edible fatty acids,
magnesium stearate and chlorophyll

All ingredients in Greenies® the original smart-treat® are highly digestible
and, except for the palatability enhancer, are used in human food products.
I just think they are a rip off and look at those ingredients. Not really Natural or even close to natural - all processed and to me that = crap.

Just let your dogs gnaw on marrow bones and their teeth will whiten and they'll get the benefits of the meat and marrow too. Much more natural than those processed green thingies.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
DNA said:
A couple more blurbs. Do you know something bad about these things that I haven't heard?
I'm curious too, McG! I've read nothing but good things. Plus, a greyhound forum we have joined (ZEALOTS to say the least) have nothing but good things to say.

I won't be too heartbroken if Jewell doesn't like these $1/piece treats...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
I'm curious too, McG! I've read nothing but good things. Plus, a greyhound forum we have joined (ZEALOTS to say the least) have nothing but good things to say.

I won't be too heartbroken if Jewell doesn't like these $1/piece treats...

IAB - would you eat something like the human equivalent of a "greenie?"

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
If I had my druthers and a house still with an extra fridge, I'd still be feeding Bailey a Raw Meaty Bones diet or another term for it is a BARF Diet.

BARF = Bones and Raw Food.

But since I'm in a small arsed apartment with a little fridge - I now feed Bailey Back To Basics Chicken formula primarily and every so often I mix in other good high quality brands of kibble.

The Whole Dog Journal is a great monthly publication to look into subscribing too. It is full of good information about nutrition, health, training, and care of your dogs and it is ad free too!!

MMcG said:
If I had my druthers and a house still with an extra fridge, I'd still be feeding Bailey a Raw Meaty Bones diet or another term for it is a BARF Diet.

BARF = Bones and Raw Food.

But since I'm in a small arsed apartment with a little fridge - I now feed Bailey Back To Basics Chicken formula primarily and every so often I mix in other good high quality brands of kibble.

The Whole Dog Journal is a great monthly publication to look into subscribing too. It is full of good information about nutrition, health, training, and care of your dogs and it is ad free too!!

I don't really want my animals on people food. Quality animal foods have the right amounts protein and vitamins. If animals get people food, then they start to want what you have.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
MtnBikerChk said:
Quality animal foods have the right amounts protein and vitamins. If animals get people food, then they start to want what you have.
When looking at food, keep an eye out for corn in the ingredients. I've been told that dogs can't digest corn and a lot of dog foods use it as a filler. Less filler = less poop. :D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
MtnBikerChk said:
I don't really want my animals on people food. Quality animal foods have the right amounts protein and vitamins. If animals get people food, then they start to want what you have.

I hope you don't eat your chicken wings raw MBC! ;)

and if your kitties and doggie were outside in their elements would they seek out kibble and cat chow?

I think a good quality dog or cat food is good for them, but raw and natural foods are probably the best.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
I have had Roxy on Nutro the whole time Ive had her. She started on the Large Breed puppy and now is on the Large breed adult formula. She is doing great on it.

Avoid people food if you can. Too much contrast with dog food. Most dogs have very runny reactions to it.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
We can't have a dog...
:(

The house we're renting is perfect too - corner lot, nice back yard.

We're planning on buying when it goes up for sale though, and then we'll have dogs all over the place.

I want a great dane.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
MMcG said:
I hope you don't eat your chicken wings raw MBC! ;)

and if your kitties and doggie were outside in their elements would they seek out kibble and cat chow?
I saw an interesting debate on the "in the wild" topic on Animal Planet. One side was arguing along the lines of your post, suggesting it was better to feed pets what they would eat in the wild. The other side was arguing that dogs as we know them never existed in the wild, suggesting that the first dogs became tame as humanity expanded and garbage became more prevalent. The idea being that the tamer dog got to eat more from the pre-historic dump because he didn't run off when the people showed up and the stuff early humans were throwing out included a lot of vegetable matter from the now more agricultural early man.

No point. It was just an interesting show.

MMcG said:
well they'd eat whatever they found and if kibble was there, I'm sure they'd eat it.

being at the track and bred to race, Jewell was given a diet high in protein. I don't know if it was raw but I'll bet it wasn't kibble. Her coat is coarse and she has dandruff. Quality dog food will improve both.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
MtnBikerChk said:
well they'd eat whatever they found and if kibble was there, I'm sure they'd eat it.

being at the track and bred to race, Jewell was given a diet high in protein. I don't know if it was raw but I'll bet it wasn't kibble. Her coat is coarse and she has dandruff. Quality dog food will improve both.
They are fed raw 4D grade ground beef mashed up usually with rice. If they were really well cared for the mix would include some mashed carrots or other vegetable. By the way, 4D stands for "Dead, Dying, Diseased, or Disabled." Yack!

Once she makes the food transition, her coat and skin will drastically improve. Indy was the same way. Her fur was course and straw like, and her skin was really flakey. She also had caluses all over the brige of her nose/snoot from a muzzle that didn't fit right. She did not look very good when we brought her home! But with some TLC, good food, and baths with good shampoo, she has a shiney black coat and all the fur grew back on her face! Now she's a beauty queen!

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MBC dropped her off at the vet this morning to get fixed. Poor pooch. She is already attached to us. If we are not both in the room with her, she whines. We let her roam the house freely for a little while yesterday, and she just followed me from room to room. Cute doggie.

She trapped herself under the bed last night and couldn't get out because of the hardwood floors. 1:30 in the morning, we had to turn on the lights and I had to lift one end of the bed, frame and all, to let her out (it's a heavy bed). :D

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
BikeGeek said:
When looking at food, keep an eye out for corn in the ingredients. I've been told that dogs can't digest corn and a lot of dog foods use it as a filler. Less filler = less poop. :D
werd :thumb: this is one of the biggest differences between "good" dog food and the cheap stuff. We have both of our dogs on Nutro... but on the occasion that we spend a weekend with my family in PA, the dogs get Dad's or Puppy Chow or whatever supermarket brand dog food my dad buys. On the nutro, my dogs poop about twice a day... on the cheap stuff... at least 4-5 times, and bigger piles too.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
jacksonpt said:
werd :thumb: this is one of the biggest differences between "good" dog food and the cheap stuff. We have both of our dogs on Nutro... but on the occasion that we spend a weekend with my family in PA, the dogs get Dad's or Puppy Chow or whatever supermarket brand dog food my dad buys. On the nutro, my dogs poop about twice a day... on the cheap stuff... at least 4-5 times, and bigger piles too.
Uh you sure that isnt just from the changing of the diet? I mean if you are used to eating one thing, then you introduce something foreign into your diet you will be
too.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Question for the greyhound gurus ... are there different breeds/sub-breeds of greyhounds? We have a dual slalom course behind the Veterinary School here on campus and they use greyhounds as blood donor dogs. I think that they are retired racers. Anyway, they walk the dogs back by our course and these dogs are freakin' huge! I would guess that these dogs are half again as big as Jewell. They look like a small deer or something.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
sweet looking puppy. Yall will love here. we are "new" dog owners (& 1st time dog owners...well, me anyways) as well & have loved every minute of having Roxi.
now you will never have to clena the litter box!

DNA said:
Question for the greyhound gurus ... are there different breeds/sub-breeds of greyhounds? We have a dual slalom course behind the Veterinary School here on campus and they use greyhounds as blood donor dogs. I think that they are retired racers. Anyway, they walk the dogs back by our course and these dogs are freakin' huge! I would guess that these dogs are half again as big as Jewell. They look like a small deer or something.
I think a whippet (sp?) is a smaller version of a GH.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
DNA said:
I think he meant twice as big maybe?

I have seen some BIG Greyhounds (waist high easily).

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
I think he meant twice as big maybe?

I have seen some BIG Greyhounds (waist high easily).
Close, I meant 1.5 times bigger. Thanks for understanding the babblish that I typed.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
DNA said:

You have Small, Medium and Large dogs....

Small = Italian Greyhound

Medium = Whippet

Large = Greyhound

We have 3 Whippets. Here they are playing in our back yard.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
MtnBikerChk said:
I think a whippet (sp?) is a smaller version of a GH.
Yup, whippets basically are smaller versions of Greyhounds, about 30lb range. Then there are the Italian Greyhounds which are a toy breed weighing in around 10lbs. All three are pretty similar in temperment disposition etc, except the IG's do get some of the "small dog syndrome" on occasion. The only reason we have whippies over greys is the size....cause we can 3 instead of 1 :D

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Velocity Girl said:
Yup, whippets basically are smaller versions of Greyhounds, about 30lb range. Then there are the Italian Greyhounds which are a toy breed weighing in around 10lbs. All three are pretty similar in temperment disposition etc, except the IG's do get some of the "small dog syndrome" on occasion. The only reason we have whippies over greys is the size....cause we can 3 instead of 1 :D
Cute pooches Freak posted!!! They are about 30 pounds each, eh? Jewell is a small greyhound and weighs 58 pounds.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Great picture.

From what you said, I guess the Vet School dogs are just the large end of the greyhound size range then.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
DNA said:
I have seen greyhounds ranging anywhere between 45-80 for a female and 50-95 for males. My male Grey is about 75lbs and he is really tall. The female on the other hand is 70lbs, but really short and has wide shoulders. Racing greyhounds are not bred like show dogs, where you have to be within a certain range of size. They are bred soley for speed so you get a variety of body types, colors and sizes.