Quantcast

Meet The Mystic Krewe of The Mountain Bike. Viv le Mardi Gras!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
This year our local MTB club decided to ditch our usual Sunday trail ride in favor of being in the Krewe of Highland's Mardi Gras Parade.

It was much fun! We had several huge bag of beads and throws and we learned that trying to get beads off your neck and over your helmet while riding in a parade is a bitch. Next year we are going to toss special MTB dubloons or something small and easy to carry in our jersey pockets.

I started off by yelling "Beads for BOOBS!" but after an hour or so, I edited it to "Beads for BREW!" because it was a warm day and the parade was long! It has some 50+ floats in it.

We ended the ride with some well deserved Skull Splitter Scottish Ale.

Tomorrow is Fat Tues then all the festivities are over.

Laissez Les Bon BIKE Temp Rouler!

We even brought the kids along!

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
hooples3 said:
so did your show your boobs off for some beads???

:clue:

Some gal did try to snatch the beads off my handle bars though....

And then there was some gal dressed as Spounge Boob Squarepants... boobs were Spounge Bob's eyes...

:p

J

JRB

stinkyboy said:
Lamest "parade" of all time!
I'm sure N8 is too involved to have any good pics of the parade, so don't bash the poor guy's efforts at an original thread here.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
sanjuro said:
BTW, for the ex-Louisianian, where did the Krewe Of Highland get its name?
It comes from the neighborhood where the parade runs. Highlands.

It started out about 5 years ago as a daytime neighborhood parade but has gotten very-very pupular since.

We have two other bigger parades held by The Krewe of Centar and the Krewe of Gemini, which run at night.

The Krewe of Asclepius has a small parade which ends at midnite on Fat Tuesday where they hold a Midnite Mass to kick off Lent.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
N8 said:
We have two other bigger parades held by The Krewe of Centar and the Krewe of Gemini, which run at night.
Very nice on the two bike related parades, Centaur and Gemini...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
sanjuro said:
Very nice on the two bike related parades, Centaur and Gemini...

Yeah.. but no way I'd ride a bike in those big ones... one year a DUI guy driving a beer truck in the parade ran over a kid... :dead:

The city cops were testing all of the drivers at the end of the parade with blow sticks... :p

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
We rode by Bill Joyce's house on the route. Bill Joyce is a well known illustrator and author.

Here some of his work: http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060227/LIVING/602250308/0/NEWS01

http://www.rif.org/art/illustrators/joyce.mspx

Years ago i went to a Halloween Party at his place.. it was the coolest party I'd ever attended! He moved all his furniture out of the house and into storage and brought in 'haunted mansion' furniture... he painted all the rooms black with ghosts and witches and such...