Quantcast

Meeting friends or couples in a new area?

L

luelling

I moved relatively recenty to Salem, OR and I've met some riders but my old lady and I would like to meet some couples to go hang out with and was wondering what should we do? We are going to start attending some local conerts and such in an effort to meet people, but we are both kinda shy. I tried cruising the Internet for a site to meet friends and it seems like the only kind of friend we can find is the one that wants to swing!! Any advice? Maybe there are some monkeys who are shacked up in my area that would like to go out for a beer.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I'd advise you just go do stuff you like doing. Let it happen naturally. As a person who has relocated around quite a bit in my life it does take a bit of time to get to meet good people in a new place. Actually the wife and I were talking about this a few months ago and we reconned it took 6 months in any new town to get to a place where you feel like you have some good friends and a real 'feel' for the place.

L

luelling

Changleen said:
I'd advise you just go do stuff you like doing. Let it happen naturally. As a person who has relocated around quite a bit in my life it does take a bit of time to get to meet good people in a new place. Actually the wife and I were talking about this a few months ago and we reconned it took 6 months in any new town to get to a place where you feel like you have some good friends and a real 'feel' for the place.
damn, we suck then. we've been here bout six months ( a bit more for me) and we really still don't know anyone. We know a couple of local bar tenders :) I guess we need to be more bold about approaching other couple and people.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My wife has some friends and I have some friends, but we don't have a whole lot of couple friends. Most of the gal friends she has hate their husbands, so they come over alone. Most of my friends have wifes my wife can't stand.

So I know how you feel.

L

luelling

jimmydean said:
My wife has some friends and I have some friends, but we don't have a whole lot of couple friends. Most of the gal friends she has hate their husbands, so they come over alone. Most of my friends have wifes my wife can't stand.

So I know how you feel.
Finally someone feels my pain. I've got friends with girls but most of them suck. My old lady doens't mind going to races and tries to have fun, but when my friends girl is bitching the enitire time it kills the fun. We are trying to find semi like minded individuals.....and Opie, I did join that website and I am currently checking it out....your post was not in vain

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
luelling said:
Finally someone feels my pain. I've got friends with girls but most of them suck. My old lady doens't mind going to races and tries to have fun, but when my friends girl is bitching the enitire time it kills the fun. We are trying to find semi like minded individuals.....and Opie, I did join that website and I am currently checking it out....your post was not in vain
Yup, I do feel your pain. My wife tries to pretend to get into bikes, but she is more about horses. I've tried to get into horses, but I'd rather ride my bike. I get along with most everybody, but she doesn't get along with a lot of females. She likes most of my friends and we have a good time when we go out, but "couples" are few and far between. Hang in there, it's all good.

L

luelling

**** Jimmy....we should hook up and go out as a group. We would be willing to cruise to PDX to hang out for a night or two. Not like we are some huge distant apart.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I'd look for clubs/organizations that support thing you are interested in. You might need to try out a few until you find ones that have your kind of people in them.

gg

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
It sounds to me like you both need to get involved in local (bike/horsey) trailbuilding/advocacy groups! They generally tend to get along (when working on trails!), meet on weekends, and usually party late after trail events. Just my 2 cents, any and all opportunities for equestrian and cycling trail building groups to get together are usually GREAT times, for everyone!! (and a great way to hook yourself up with the local 'core' trail community....)

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
get registered for a bike race

volunteer to help local homeless people/ animals

Go to things that you are genuinely interested in.

What about your co-workers????
Are they cool to hang out with?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
The restraint is miraculous.

Do you have folks that you ride with? If so see about going out with them and their "others". The VAST majority of our friends these days are guys I ride with and their families. My wife has a few friends from church and work but for the most part she hangs out with the wives of the guys I'm riding with.

Do you have neighbors? Always a good idea to know your neighbors. Invite them over for a cookout.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
DRB said:
Do you have neighbors? Always a good idea to know your neighbors. Invite them over for a cookout.
But watch out for the quiet ones who keep to themselves. It's always the quiet ones who keep to themselves. :help:

L

luelling

My old lady enjoys going to races, but we haven't really found a "couple" that we get along with. She digs most of my friends and enjoys going out with us, but their girls are typically b****** for lack of a better word. I know things would be a tad easier if we were both religous or maybe hardcore political :) But we are both athiest and I'm Libertarian and shes Indepenedant.

She wants to start going to local concerts, festivals and other events. I think that will help us find friends. I was hoping there were some monkeys that might be local and looking to go out for a night.

L

luelling

Also, we do go on adultfriendfinder.com to see if we see people from high schooll!! :) If you post a picture of your junk on their someone thats friends with your parents may see it!!

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
luelling said:
I moved relatively recenty to Salem, OR and I've met some riders but my old lady and I would like to meet some couples to go hang out with and was wondering what should we do? We are going to start attending some local conerts and such in an effort to meet people, but we are both kinda shy. I tried cruising the Internet for a site to meet friends and it seems like the only kind of friend we can find is the one that wants to swing!! Any advice? Maybe there are some monkeys who are shacked up in my area that would like to go out for a beer.
www.adultfriendfinder.com

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Just keep doing the things you like to do, the rest will come. It sounds like the people you meet when you try kind of suck, so maybe stop trying and let it happen more naturally.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There was a funny artilce a while back about how friendly Portland is on the surface, but it doesn't go much farther than that.

It was written by a gal from NYC who had moved here and was trying to find people to hang out with. Found it!

FriendSearch

Portlanders...are friendly. Very friendly. They heartily thank bus drivers. They wave encouragingly at others to go first at intersections. They use tip jars as more than spare-change receptacles. Portland is overall very "____-friendly." Bike-friendly. Vegetarian-friendly. Earth-friendly.

But what about "friend-friendly"? Read on...