Quantcast

***Mehnday GMT***

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm sure they're fine if they've been sealed and whatnot correctly. Whats the worst that could happen? :brows:

I know it'd take a lot of work and they aren't something you can exactly just lift and move, but I'd be more worried about theft. When will battery thefts become a thing? I can only imagine how many $$$ those are worth.
hmmm, that's a good point. I imagine most of these trucks are not left unattended very long. Plus, the batteries are so heavy, they need a forklift to remove and replace...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Happy and not awake about it.

Got pretty far on the drywall mudding project, managed to get a second layer on all the joints and corners plus texture on the ceiling and 2-1/2 walls. Decided I'm close enough to being done that I'll just take an hour this morning and finish it up. Then primer! Then paint! Then finish the electrical! Then trim and flooring! And then I can move in!
So... mid-2024? :homer:

kids are back at school :happydance: the peace and quiet are so loud my ears are ringing!

spotted my first electric delivery vehicle in the wild today:
View attachment 187494
the guys working in it said today was its maiden voyage... said it was strange and took some time to get used to... not sure what that means. but it was pretty dang quiet which was cool. I'm no expert, but the batteries seem awfully exposed to the elements there:
View attachment 187495
Ease of swapping the packs out? I wonder if they're designed for that?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
LOL, insurance update!
The local hospital called, and said after an investigation brought about by that two paragraph appeal, UHC owed me a few thousand in refunds.
Too funny.
I just received a bill last week for my being nearly covid dead in July, $1900 owed from a $13k invoice to insurance on this one.

On the cost breakdown there's $300 for physical therapy and $300 for occupational therapy. Well I don't recall any physical therapy and the occupational therapist spent less than 10 minutes with me, because they tried to make me stand up and I blacked out.

I wish I could invoice at those rates.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ease of swapping the packs out? I wonder if they're designed for that?
This.

We have a ton of custom battery operated vehicles at work and there is a requirement that the battery packs can be easily replaced using a fork truck or crane. These are old school lead acid units so the don't catch fire, just release hydrogen gas and explode.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Not enough coffee in the world right now. Baby kept us up all night, and then we lost power around 6:30. I consider myself to be more prepared for emergencies like this than most, but there was a fatal flaw in my planning: No easy way to grind coffee. Inverter to the rescue. I need a manual grinder, or I need to keep some ground coffee on hand.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Overlanding? For sure, I'm thinking 25 year mandatory minimum for being caught calling yourself an overlander
“Overland”, is this the condition where Jeep owners become obsessed with unnecessary accessories for vehicles that seldom go anywhere other than the grocery store and Autozone ? I pass by one of their nests on my way to work. They leave the Jeeps adorned with various neon colors illuminating the underside for all to enjoy. Occasionally one will be up on blocks in the front yard getting fresh accessories. The grass is being gradually replaced with some hybrid mix of trash and old car parts. Very peculiar indeed.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Not enough coffee in the world right now. Baby kept us up all night, and then we lost power around 6:30. I consider myself to be more prepared for emergencies like this than most, but there was a fatal flaw in my planning: No easy way to grind coffee. Inverter to the rescue. I need a manual grinder, or I need to keep some ground coffee on hand.
If you have a ziplock bag and any kind of blunt, heavy object (like a hammer or a rock/brick) then you can “grind” coffee. Just stop when the bag starts to break so you don’t get plastic bits in your coffee.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
If you have a ziplock bag and any kind of blunt, heavy object (like a hammer or a rock/brick) then you can “grind” coffee. Just stop when the bag starts to break so you don’t get plastic bits in your coffee.
True, but that's an absolute last resort option. Like "the end of the end times" option. I still want good coffee during emergencies, or even at the very beginning of the apocalypse. The "life is too short for bad coffee" mantra applies doubly so when the end is nigh.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i've got manual grinders for both regular coffee and espresso. and a manual espresso machine, plus the aeropress. camp stove to boil water.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
True, but that's an absolute last resort option. Like "the end of the end times" option. I still want good coffee during emergencies, or even at the very beginning of the apocalypse. The "life is too short for bad coffee" mantra applies doubly so when the end is nigh.
They looked at me weird when I stressed the importance of linking my coffee making/grinding outlet to the whole home battery back-up. "But you already have the kitchen backed up", uh sure, the fridge, but not the important one.

“Overland”, is this the condition where Jeep owners become obsessed with unnecessary accessories for vehicles that seldom go anywhere other than the grocery store and Autozone ?
It was amazing how many of those dorks I saw around Big Bear over new-years, all parked at hotels of course. I'll occasionally be forced to interact with one and listen to them tell me about all the necessary equipment they have in order to drive up a fire-road, then blow their minds at some of the trails I've done in a stock Tacoma without color matched gas gans at all.

no, just running the lights on a roadway.
Maybe we could make that like a Gang Enhancement, if you get caught with a gun it's 5 years, but if you're caught with a gun while doing gang shit we give you 10, same with LEDs, if used in conjunction with a roof top tent you've never slept in, fast track to the electric chair

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Maybe we could make that like a Gang Enhancement, if you get caught with a gun it's 5 years, but if you're caught with a gun while doing gang shit we give you 10, same with LEDs, if used in conjunction with a roof top tent you've never slept in, fast track to the electric chair
no i'm fine with them having them on their bro dozers. makes it easy to identify the idiots, like a maga hat but for trucks

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
i question your judgement for being friends with a brodozer owner
Say what you will, but light bars are awesome to have traveling back roads where the threat of an animal strike is high or offroading at night. I've had several close calls with deer, bear, and moose that were avoidable because I saw them way in advance (if at all) of when my headlights would have illuminated them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Say what you will, but light bars are awesome to have traveling back roads where the threat of an animal strike is high or offroading at night. I've had several close calls with deer, bear, and moose that were avoidable because I saw them way in advance (if at all) of when my headlights would have illuminated them.
i never said they were pointless. just that driving with them on in traffic is a problem. same with the assholes driving around with their high beams on

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
they don't either, but they're too embarrassed to admit it
It's true. I can't tell you how much shit I got from the Jeep Club/brodozer crowd here for my completely stock Wrangler during the time I owned it. Their were variations of course, but the general theme was "HUR DUR BARBIE JEEP", to which I would reply with "It does everything I want it too and gets me everywhere I need to go, why would I pour a ton of money into it just to fuck with it?". To which the inevitable reply was always:

Last edited: