Quantcast

Mel Gibson's new movie 'Apocalypto'

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Apocalypto is the next historical epic from Mel Gibson's production company, Icon Entertainment.

Scheduled for release in the summer of 2006, the film is set 600 years ago in Central America, before the Spanish conquest, in the midst of the mysterious decline of the Mayan civilization.

Apocalypto is a heart stopping mythic action-adventure set against the turbulent end times of the once great Mayan civilization. When his idyllic existence is brutally disrupted by a violent invading force, a man is taken on a perilous journey to a world ruled by fear and oppression where a harrowing end awaits him. Through a twist of fate and spurred by the power of his love for his woman and his family he will make a desperate break to return home and to ultimately save his way of life.

Trailer: http://www.apple.com/trailers/touchstone/apocalypto/

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Ciaran said:
I'm sure this one will be historically incorrect just like Braveheart.
I never saw Braveheart, but I'm pretty confident it sucked and was not historically accurate. And I never saw The Passion, but it's well known that it's not historically accurate (not that anyone could truly define what is historically accurate in that case anyway).

But from what I've heard, this new movie is not SUPPOSED to be historically accurate. People are expecting it to be, but Gibson has outright said it's fiction. So really, the people expecting to see a historical documentary are the morons, not Mel Gibson. In this case anyway.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Echo said:
I never saw Braveheart, but I'm pretty confident it sucked and was not historically accurate. And I never saw The Passion, but it's well known that it's not historically accurate (not that anyone could truly define what is historically accurate in that case anyway).

But from what I've heard, this new movie is not SUPPOSED to be historically accurate. People are expecting it to be, but Gibson has outright said it's fiction. So really, the people expecting to see a historical documentary are the morons, not Mel Gibson. In this case anyway.
Call me crazy but when I see a film set in a particular time period I expect to have things be accurate to the period. It's not hard... you just do a little research. Hell, these films have multi million dollar budgets so I think they can spend a few dollars to get a historian to consult with. Even Monty Python tried to be accurate in "Holy Grail". So I guess while Gibson is a crappy film maker I am a moron for having high standards. :rolleyes: I guess that comes from being a medieval history geek.

And Braveheart was a very cool flick... just not historically accurate.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ciaran said:
Call me crazy but when I see a film set in a particular time period I expect to have things be accurate to the period. It's not hard... you just do a little research. Hell, these films have multi million dollar budgets so I think they can spend a few dollars to get a historian to consult with. Even Monty Python tried to be accurate in "Holy Grail". So I guess while Gibson is a crappy film maker I am a moron for having high standards. :rolleyes: I guess that comes from being a medieval history geek.

I can see you picking apart that movie like some Treky correcting Klingon grammar.

SLAPSHOT

Chimp
Jun 9, 2003
SoCal
Ciaran said:

You forgot "The Patriot", not historically accurate either, but then again, these are entertainments and not marketed as documentaries. I don't think a car can really fly through the air and land on four wheels as is the case in most action movies, but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad movie. These are not history or scientific text books.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
SLAPSHOT said:
You forgot "The Patriot", not historically accurate either, but then again, these are entertainments and not marketed as documentaries. I don't think a car can really fly through the air and land on four wheels as is the case in most action movies, but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad movie. These are not history or scientific text books.
I understand that. What I am saying is that if you are making a movie set in Scotland in the early 1300's please don't put the actors in costumes from hundreds of years later. The kilt cannot be documented before 1600 (in addition to the fact that only the highland scots wore the kilt, which was considered a garment for the lower classes). And the use of woad (the blue face paint) stopped about the 2nd century. And Scotland never really won their freedom.

Dang... I geeked out.

SLAPSHOT

Chimp
Jun 9, 2003
SoCal
Ciaran said:
I understand that. What I am saying is that if you are making a movie set in Scotland in the early 1300's please don't put the actors in costumes from hundreds of years later. The kilt cannot be documented before 1600 (in addition to the fact that only the highland scots wore the kilt, which was considered a garment for the lower classes). And the use of woad (the blue face paint) stopped about the 2nd century. And Scotland never really won their freedom.

Dang... I geeked out.
Yes you did, but acceptance is the first step. BTW, if you need legal advice regarding Mt. Baldy, PM me.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Andyman_1970 said:
No one expects the Spanich inquisition..............:cool:
NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
gnurider1080 said:
NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.
Great sketch!

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
gnurider1080 said:
Well done..............:thumb: